PDA

View Full Version : Lead hardness

qwiksting
02-12-2013, 09:46 PM
61089I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. So, if it is not moderators, just let me know.

I have 6 ingots that weigh 85 lbs apiece. I was told when i got them, they were at least 20years old. The guy I got them from said he thinks they came from a Foundry. I am new to casting, and am learning on the fly and reading/researching. I think Foundry lead is suppose to be harder than dead lead. Foundry lead has some Antimony and tin in it. I am not sure that this lead has that in it. So I wonder if it is really Foundry lead. Was wondering if I sent a sample of some lead to someone that has either a hardness tester of something that could tell me what this is. I am planning on selling some of it, however i want to be truthful to who buys it and tell them what I know about it. I took a drill and drilled holes in it around, took a torch to try and break off piece. That took awhile.....however I finally took a sledgehammer and beat on it to break off a 20lb chunk. Anyway, if someone is interested in helping a newbie out, I would greatly appreciate it and make it worth your trouble. PM me.61088

Bullshop
02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
If it ""BROKE"" by hitting it with a hammer even a big hammer it is not pure lead. Pure lead would just keep bending and bending and bending and not much else.
As long as you have a hole drilled in one thread a bolt into the hole and hang the ingot on a chain so you can tap it to see if it has any ring to it. If it rings its alloyed. The higher pitch to the ring the lower the lead content. Really hard lead like linotype, monotype, and steriotype and some babbit will ring almost like steel.

qwiksting
02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Well, i had a some holes in it from the drill....and I melted alittle with the blue torch, not much though. I also tried a cold chisel on it to"cut" around the diameter. Finally I took it and laid it on another piece and hit it. It bent about 45 degrees, then I turned it over and went the other way. Did this a couple times and it finally gave. I will try the "ring test". Thanks for the reply.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
I do not believe it is "foundry type" lead. I have some "foundry type" lead and it will shatter when hit with a big enough hammer. It has a very distinct crystal structure to it. I would not worry about what kind of lead you have. Tell them the story and see who wants to buy it. I am sure it won't last long if priced right. If you give some out to be tested, it would have to be melted down and cast into a boolit and then have a wait of about two weeks for something like a LEE tester to work. IMO

qwiksting
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks Charlie APC. Army OIF2 03-06. I dont think it is foundry either. I melted one down today, it statrted out at 85 lbs and I got 83. It had some "stuff" I skimmed off the top. Some of the ingot turned a gold color, some turned puple/blue. I checked temp as I was melting it and it was 705-715.

runfiverun
02-13-2013, 11:41 PM
drop it on the floor.
i bet it makes a thud sound.
or a quiet plinkt sound at most.

qwiksting
02-14-2013, 07:14 AM
A thud sound. I tried it yesterday. It is dead soft lead. Looks like I am going to need to add a little antimony and tin to this. About 500 lbs of lead...so that will be about 12 or so lbs of tin and 14 lbs of antimony to bring it worthy of a cast 38 or 45 boolit.

Lizard333
02-14-2013, 07:46 AM
If you still want it tested, I have a cabin tree tester I can test it. It sounds pretty soft to me. Pm me if your interested.

Doug

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
The guy I got them from said he thinks they came from a Foundry. I am new to casting, and am learning on the fly and reading/researching. I think Foundry lead is suppose to be harder than dead lead.

"came from a Foundry" is one thing,
"Foundry lead" (correctly known as foundrytype) is another.

When dropped, since you heard a thud, you probably have pure or near pure lead (AKA: soft lead) as you already surmised. The easiest test is the fingernail test. Can you scratch an unoxidized surface with your finger nail and easily leave a mark ? If so, it's soft lead suitable for muzzleloader, swaging, or other applications were soft lead is desired. Generally Soft lead will command a little higher price when selling it. But you better be sure, by testing the hardness or have someone knowledgable test it with a hardness tester. For the best possible test, it should be melted and cast in a boolit mold, then let rest for two weeks...then test it.
Good Luck,
Jon

Bullshop
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
I have 10 pounds of pure pulverise antimony I got from Bill Fergesin (the antiomny man) that I would trade for some of that lead.