PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problems with my H&G68

bcr
02-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I shot CCW qualification yesterday with my 1911 Commander and my 696. I had good reasons for choosing these two guns even though they are both kind of new to me. The problems I had with my revolver are on the wheelguns sub-forum. But I had a lot of FTFs with my Commander shooting my MP H&G 68s over 4.0 gr. of Bullseye. I probably had 10 out of 25 FTFs, maybe more. The slide was not closing all the way. Most of the time if I smacked the back of the slide it would close. Sometimes I had to drop the magazine and rack the slide. Is this too light a charge? I thought 3.5-4 gr. of Bullseye is a pretty common load in .45 ACP. The boolit itself should feed reliably, right? These boolits are tumble loobed with 45/45/10 and sized to .452. The gun is a Fusion.

Bigslug
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Needs more taper crimp.

bcr
02-12-2013, 01:10 AM
If the cartridges drop freely into the chamber can it still be an insufficient taper crimp? Thanks!

runfiverun
02-12-2013, 02:34 AM
airc the origional mili ball ammo load was @ 4.3grs of bullseye and a 230 rn bullet.
i would look at where they are seated to.
in both my 1911's i seat so the shoulder is square with the case mouth otherwise the little shoulder tries to act like the case mouth and stops the slide.
i can seat things with my thumb but just seating this way stops the stoppages.

SlippShodd
02-12-2013, 03:08 AM
The load sounds too wimpy. Alliant's chart shows 4.4 gr. of Bullseye as the start point... I'd go look in one of my manuals for the pressure levels if I wasn't so lazy. My worthless opinion is that you aren't getting enough slide travel rearward. And heed what Run said about seating this boolit. And check the face of the feedramp; it needs to be polished mirror-smooth. If there are any tool marks on it, the edge of the meplat can hook on these and foul the feed. (that sounds clear as mud even to me and I wrote it) I don't know the Fusion pistol, but I presume in this day and age that everybody bevels the feedramp to the proper angle to reliably feed SWCs.

mike

dg31872
02-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Had the exact same problem with my new Gold Cup. Couldn't figure it out. Got in touch with Mntgun44 via pm. He told me to seat and taper crimp in seperate operations. Tried it. Worked like a charm.

Recluse
02-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Along with the advice on seating/crimping, up your charge to at least 4.3 grains (Bullseye). I have an ancient Gov't 1911 that loves that load, and the rest love 4.6 grains (Bullseye) with that 200SWC boolit.

:coffee:

eck0313
02-12-2013, 06:10 AM
There is nothing wrong with 4.0 grains of Bullseye and a 200 grain lead SWC. It's been a standard Bullseye load for many years. It even functions fine in my Hardball gun with an 18 lb spring. Check your seating/taper crimp as previously suggested.

Beau Cassidy
02-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Is it a factory fit barrel or aftermarket? I would make sure the barrel is fit properly (lugs cut, proper barrel link). I have/had a similar problem with my bullseye gun and I can promise you it wasn't the crimp 'cause I sinced it down very tight.

captaint
02-12-2013, 11:35 AM
It is a little puzzling, if your loaded rounds passed the plunk test. Besides feed ramp, that only leaves OAL and taper crimp. Maybe you could try the plunk test (if you have any loaded rounds left) with more rounds. Maybe something is amiss. That's all I got. Mike

KCSO
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
4.5 of Bullseye, seat the bullet flush with the case mouth and seat and crimp seperate is what works for me. IIRR Lee made a die that did a finish sizing of the loaded round, I thought I had one at one time but will have to look.

bcr
02-12-2013, 09:46 PM
I do have a Lee FCD and I used it on these rounds.

DrCaveman
02-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Just throwing this out there, like I know what I am talking about...

Sounds possible that the extractor is not getting the right grip on the fed cartridge. Kind of like when you have the slide open, drop a bullet in the chamber, and close the slide. The extractor is forced to 'snap' over the rim, instead of being gently slid behind the extractor claw as happens in normal feeding.

As I understand it, the causes for this could be: too weak a recoil spring, or too strong a magazine spring. Seems like the round is being fed toward the chamber a millisecond too soon, and the slide is not forward far enough for the extractor claw to grab the rim.

Based on your light load, I guess my suggestion seems unlikely...but then again, the Commanders are a little different beasts than the full size GI.

Maybe I'm full of ****, but I haven't heard anyone suggest this, so it seemed worth throwing into the mix.

Oh yeah, have you detail stripped and cleaned the extractor & its slot real well? Doing this helped my sti Spartan get over its fear of h&g 68's. I think OAL and crimp had more effect, but the first time I cleaned the extractor area I was amazed at the buildup. In fact, I think it's time to go do that right now.