PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering????

3jimbo3
02-11-2013, 10:44 PM
i have never tried this, but a friend of mine claims to use cheap kitty litter(clean and unused i hope) to flux his melt with. has anyone ever tried this? will it work or just waste a pot full of precious lead?:roll:

i'm thinking i will stick with wax and the stuff from midway when i can get it.

blikseme300
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Heard of using litter to seal the melt from the atmosphere but not as a flux. I use wood shavings exclusively to flux and create a gas barrier to prevent oxidation on the melt surface. Wax works, but not as good as the wood shavings.

3jimbo3
02-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Do you use shavings like they sell at Wal-Mart for pet beds or are you using saw dust? I have used saw dust in the past but it sure does smoke up the place. I haven't tried any shavings yet, but I sure will give it a try.

turmech
02-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Pet bedding would work but saw dust is free and what most of us use. Pretty much anything that make carbon when burned.

GabbyM
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Idea was batted around here a couple years back. Theory was to keep a layer on top to prevent oxidation. When I tried it in my bottom poor pot. My perception was my tin was being absorbed by the clay. May have just been in my head. Found sawdust on top a more workable solution. Since you can return oxidized metals back into the pot.

lwknight
02-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Used kitty litter might work as flux. EYeeeww!!