PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullet Articles by Glen Frxyell

Single Shot
07-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Detailed information on Cast Bullet Alloys And Obturation and many other topics.

http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

Glen E. Fryxell Is Published Extensively In:
The "Varmint Hunter"
The Cast Bullet Association's "The Cast Bullet"
Handgun Hunters International BI-Monthly Magazine "The Sixgunner"
The Journal Of The Thompson-Center Association "One Good Shot"
Official Publication Of The International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association "The IHMSA News"

an excellent information source on bullet casting and the history of the firearms that shoot them

45nut
07-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Glen is also a member here. :drinks:

USARO4
07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
He's a very knowledgeable man. I enjoy his writing. Whats his screen name here at CB?

44man
07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I went to the Marlin lever gun site and was surprised he does the exact same loading with the same powders that I do. Funny how guys that live so far apart can reach the same conclusion. I respect what he says greatly, he does the work.

Scrounger
07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
He's a very knowledgeable man. I enjoy his writing. Whats his screen name here at CB?

....Glen....

LAH
07-26-2007, 05:32 PM
I bought a mould from Glen once. Almost feel famous when I use it. Read his stuff, it's great.

Glen
07-27-2007, 11:03 AM
I've been away for a little while (work stuff was keeping me busy). Thanks for the kind words guys, I really enjoy playing with cast bullets and learning what makes different cartridges and guns tick. Hearing that you folks enjoy the output makes it all that much more satisfying to me.

Single Shot -- Thanks for bringing up the LASC site -- I'd like to give a "tip of the hat" to Rick Kelter, the guy who has put all of that together. Trust me, he has done a LOT of work to gather all the reference information, format stuff from all sorts of different sources, organize it so that it all makes sense, etc. On top of that he is a dedicated cast bullet shooter, and has done some of the most systematic lube and alloy testing that I've ever seen. On top of that, he's nice guy to deal with. He has made the LASC website an excellent resource for cast bullet shooters. Well done Rick!

Lynn -- good to hear from you! That SSK mould is an excellent design, and one of my favorites in my Super Blackhawks. I'm glad to hear that it's serving you well. As for feeling famous when you use it, you should -- not because that mould has any connection to me (although I'm flattered that you feel that way), but rather because that is JD Jones' design and he and Larry Kelly have used that bullet in .44 Mag revolvers to kill pretty much everything, up to and including elephant! That bullet IS famous! (not to mention accurate)

crabo
07-27-2007, 12:38 PM
What bullet and mold is this that you are talking about?

Thanks,

Crabo

9.3X62AL
07-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Many thanks for posting that link, Single Shot.

I have enjoyed Glen Fryxell's work for a long time, and having this archive now in my "Favorites" folder allows me to enjoy them a lot more easily.

I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank you for all your contributions to the casting and shooting community, Glen. We are both privileged and proud to call you a member of our board.

Poor minds discuss "people". Mediocre minds discuss "things". GREAT minds discuss ideas, concepts, and their application--and Glen's work definitely fits into this latter category.

jtaylor1960
07-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Glen Fryxell seems to know as much about cast bullets as anyone I know.He explains alot of the mechanics behind casting and shooting cast bullets.Anyone into cast bullets should read his articles.

Glen
07-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Thank you gentlemen!

crabo -- The bullet I was talking about is the the .44 Mag SSK bullet designed by JD Jones back in the late 1980s. It is a 320 grain truncated cone made by NEI. I have attached a photo to show you the bullet and mould. This bullet has been used to kill Cape buffalo, the big bears, and even elephant, all from a .44 Magnum revolver. JD certainly knows bullets!

EDK
07-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Thank you for sharing all the information in your articles. Not only have you kept many of us from RE-INVENTING THE WHEEL--and saved a lot of wasted time and components, you have done so in a manner that has helped explain to reloaders of all skill levels. I consider you a great resource.

John Taffin mentioned that you are working on a book. When It is ready, I'd like two autographed copies--one for "using" and one for my book shelf. I didn't get Elmer Keith's books, but have two of Mike Venturino and John Taffin's.

Thanks again.

:castmine: :Fire: