PDA

View Full Version : I forgot how to cast, sort of

MikeSSS
07-26-2007, 02:21 AM
I haven't cast for a few months but this dandy Lee six hole .30 plain base mold arrived one day. (Thanks David.)

After cleaning it with alcohol I cast some, they were ugly.

Cleaned it with throttle body cleaner, still got more ugly boolits.

Brushed it with a tooth brush, dish liquid and water. Got even more uglies.

Guess what prep was missing?

Yup, I forgot to smoke the mold. A quick look at the LeeMenting post kicked the memory some. Yeah, smoke the mold, I always used to do that before every casting session.

So I got out a butane lighter and it didn't smoke the mold very well. Hmmm. Used all the Diamond matches next. Ahhh, it sort of came back, I turned up the butane lighter all the way and let er rip. Not a great layer of carbon but the boolits sure came out a lot better. Tomorrow I'll burn some nice clean paper and smoke the mold better and cast again.

Now, let's see, where did I hide that lead? Yeah, the lead my wife complained about when I left it out where I could find it. That lead. Out of sight, out of mind.

Next hurdle is remembering to load some ammo and remembering to go shoot same.

Pour that silver stream!

44man
07-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Sounds familiar, old age. I helped the wife look for cake pans this morning and after tearing everything off the shelves, she remembered that she threw them out.
I hope you didn't throw the lead out or sell the guns!

Rooster
07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
ETA-Moved to a separate thread-as you've inspired me.

Petander
07-28-2007, 12:25 AM
I haven't cast for a few months but this dandy Lee six hole .30 plain base mold arrived one day. (Thanks David.)

Guess what prep was missing?

Yup, I forgot to smoke the mold. A quick look at the LeeMenting post kicked the memory some. Yeah, smoke the mold, I always used to do that before every casting session.

My first Lee 6-banger arrived the other day. It needed no smoking whatsoever, it drops pretty, silky boolits with near-zero weight variation when run quite hot, which it seems to like. I cleaned it up with brake cleaner, thatīs all.

I left the smoking out on purpose ,just to see how it goes. I have smoked most of my molds before, now itīs time for me to re-think this.