PDA

View Full Version : lead pipe

mrblue
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
So I got in to a deal for 300 lbs of lead pipe from a plumber. he is checking into prices for scrap on it. How much should i give him per pound for it

10mmShooter
02-11-2013, 06:59 PM
mrblue,

I would base the price on the fact that for $2.25 I can have all the 99.9% pure lead already in ingots delivered from Rotometals to my home with out doing any work. Or pay $1.50 on ebay for various wheel weight or range ingots deliveried to my home again with no work involved. In that 300 lbs quanity given that you will need to haul it home and ingotize it. Fair price would be .90 cents to $1 a pound. If he wanted more than that there are other better options for lead alloy such as ebay where you already get lead with at least some antinomy and maybe a little tin. Just my opinion $1 per pound tops

wool1
02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Local scrap yard is paying $.50 lb

williamwaco
02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
You can by range scrap or wheel weights from members here.

They are sorted, cleaned, smelted, fluxed, and cast into neat little ingots AND delivered to your front porch for around $1 per pound.

I have bought around 8 - 60 pound boxes from four different members here. They were all exactly as described.

I would not pay more than around 75$ per pound for that scrap.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-11-2013, 09:43 PM
That pipe is pretty handy stuff to have. You can alloy it with other lead to make it harder but if you had hard lead to start with............ well, that's what you'd have and you would have to find someone like yourself to get some soft lead for your alloy. Confusing as that all is, you can trade your pure lead for wheel weight lead or lino. I'd go up to what the scrap price is at least. Maybe a little more but not much. You have to smelt that all down and with pipe, it can smoke quite a bit from the junk stuck in the pipe. You will probably have joints in the pipe and they are a little bit different alloy than the pure lead pipe. Cut those wider joints out and melt them separately. Good find! Lead is getting scarce and you need to get all you can, while you can. IMO

dragon813gt
02-11-2013, 09:52 PM
$.05 more than what the yard will give him. If he thinks that's an insult move on. Let him spend his time and gas to take it to the yard. You paying slightly over scrap price and picking it up makes him more money then he may think.

runfiverun
02-12-2013, 12:43 AM
i'd just buy a 2' section and then.
err wait,,,
i'd go 50 cents to begin with,you have to clean it and will lose some weight to "stuff".

dbosman
02-12-2013, 01:24 AM
At my local Lansing Michigan yard, soft lead is selling for 35¢ a pound while hard lead is $1.00 per pound. Soft is mostly sheet type.

If he has to load it to get it to the scrap dealer, you'll be doing him a favor by paying the same price and loading it your self.

mrblue
02-12-2013, 01:34 AM
I dunno east Lansing people are kind of shady to begin with......go blue

Huntducks
02-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Call your local scrap yard and ask, the price can differ from region to region.

your going to get alot of scale and sedment in that pipe which weights I would pay no more then .35-.45 cents per lb.

Take it from a retired plumbing contractor of 30 yrs.

captaint
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I'd buy all I could afford for .50 a pound. Lead pipe is great stuff for mixing purposes - or for black powder use. Mike