PDA

View Full Version : groove size / bullit size?

Menner
02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Hello all
my first post I have been lurking around here soaking up the knowledge of you guys for a few months a friend of mine has gotten me into cast bullit shooting ( just what I need another hobby ) and I am working on a couple of rifles the first one is a savage in 7mm-08 with a short throat and a great chamber shoots Jwords really well will be working on this one as soon as the lyman #287405 Loverin mold gets here.
The other is a bit trickyer it is a #1 MK4 enfield have killed a few Deer with it I have had it for 18 yrs and never really done a lot with it other than a little hunting it has been sporterized with a composite stock and a scope mount from brownells only shot factory stuff through it and it was no tack driver but it would hunt now that my buddy frank has converted me to cast we have done some research and have found out why it is not a tack driver with jword. after slugging the barrel Bore is .303 and the grove is .317 after searching high and low we have found that standard bullet molds have a big gap in the size that I am looking for say .319 range and doing some reading on a number of sites I found that some have had success whit the 8mm loverin by lyman ( so I bought one ) but it casts at .325 in WW and nobody makes a .320 sizer closest I have found is .321 rcbs I believe now here is the question ( I know about time ) how big over bore / grove a bullit is safe to try and throw down the tube if sized to .321 is that small enough. not wanting to spend a lot of money until I find out if the rifle will shoot. ( Read custom stuff ) bought the 8mm mold so if the enfield wont shoot I will starrt looking for a Mauser to play with.
any help will be much appreciated
Thanks
Tony

williamwaco
02-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Your bullets after sizing should be .002 to .003 larger than the groove diameter.
You have identified .319 and that sounds like a good number to me.

There are several members here who will make you a top-notch custom sizer die for very reasonable prices.
If you are handy, you can buy a Lee .314 die and lap it out.

( I personally would not attempt to lap a Lyman or RCBS die. they are too expensive. You would be very unhappy if you came out with an egg shaped die. )

Menner
02-11-2013, 08:25 PM
thanks I am working on honing a .314 lee sizer
who are the members making custom sizers
might need to know if I screw up the lee

runfiverun
02-11-2013, 09:19 PM
buckshot and lathesmith.
either one can do it.
im not sure the perfessor makes sizer dies, he makes lots of stuff though.

Menner
02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Last night I finnished honing the the lee sizer and was really happy with the results when I push the .325 loverin bullet through it sizes .319 and .3185 around the bullet with no signs of deforming the driving bands I prelubed them with alox and they slide through with very little pressure. used my drill press with a wooden dowel with a slit cut in it and emory cloth and polished it out with 400 and 600. I will shoot them this weekend with 10 and 11 grns red dot to start and see what the holes tell me then work up to gas checks and 4198 and 4227 and a little heavier red dot and we will see if the enfield will shoot. I am hopful that it will because the throat is short enough to reach the lands with 2 full driving bands in the case with the bullet against the lands.
Thanks for the info