PDA

View Full Version : Should I be suspicious?

jonk
02-10-2013, 11:40 PM
So I am a member on the gunbroker discussion forums as well, and have bought and sold a fair amount there over the years. One member listed a link as a shameless plug in the discussion forums about his auctions, as is commonly the case.

I emailed him for details on one gun, bid, and won. Good communication, prompt and polite.

This seller has very good feedback (only one negative in several hundred transactions) and is a gunbroker verified member.

So I look at the 'seller contact info' link and I see an address. I email the seller to confirm the total with shipping, and ask if he is an FFL holder. He emails back and says 'please send to my p.o. box, the address on file is just a dropbox on my property, I don't get down there every day.' Fair enough. He also says he is an FFL holder, and will supply a copy of his license to my FFL holder with shipment.

Still, being perhaps more suspicious than need be, I download the .xls file of all FFL holders in the state in question.

His name is not on it, nor is either address. Nor is his contact phone number.

Now if this were a NR seller I would immediately say 'sorry pal, you have to do better.' But again- he seems a very proliferate seller, with only glowing feedback.

I suppose it is possible that he works for a store that sells guns, and he is the web manager, or otherwise an employee and HIS name in particular isn't on the license, rather the store owner's; or has yet another property where his 'place of business' is located, or some such.

Nonetheless, you can't be too careful these days, and I am going to call him tomorrow and see what's what. I don't want to come across as overly paranoid, but it just strikes me a bit odd that his name, address, and phone number aren't on the ATF's FFL holder list, yet he says he has one.

I didn't want to post it on the gb discussion forums as he frequents those.
Whatcha think?

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I'd want an explanation.

Gliden07
02-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Sounds a little "CHEESY"

LUBEDUDE
02-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Nothing wrong with being thorough.

tomme boy
02-11-2013, 02:06 AM
Get his FFL # and go to the BATF web site and they have a page you can check the #.

Jim
02-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I think you are wise for being cautious.

1Shirt
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Better safe than sorry!
1Shirt!

wool1
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Get his FFL # and go to the BATF web site and they have a page you can check the #.

+1. Easy enough to check. I personally have no problems or do not take offense to someone asking for my FFL numbers to verify my name and address. It's what the system is built for.

garym1a2
02-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Ask, if he says no cancel the deal.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
I suspect it's an employee of a gunshop. all the small gunshops in my area have some presence on gunbroker...while most of the old timey owners are not web savvy, an employee is doing the work.

BUT, it's always good to be cautious.

smokemjoe
02-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Stealing from a FFL holder is a bad crime, but what if they steal from you.

schutzen
02-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Caution may be warranted. He may only hold a C&R FFL. Unless the specific requirements are met you may have fun with the ATF.

Reg
02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
At this point, I fail to see your problem. As long as he supplys a legal copy of a FFL with the transfer to your FFL and the firearm goes FFL to FFL and is properly recorded in both bound books then you pass the back ground check then the transfer is legal unless your state has other requirements.

It is human nature for someone say, who didn't actually have their name on the license but worked for the FFL holder and was in all ways legally allowed to sell firearms for the holder to say--- ya, they had a license when what they were actually saying was they had access to one. Two different things for sure but as long as no laws were broken all you might have is a over eager sales clerk.

waksupi
02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
It is required that your physical address is shown on your FFL.

Smitty's Retired
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM

I think you are wise for being cautious.

Never hurts to be too careful

mpmarty
02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
I only deal FTF and not FFL to FFL. If what I want isn't in my state I do without it.

wv109323
02-11-2013, 10:47 PM
I would ask for a telephone number ,call it, and get the FFL number and verify it. Or I would ask that a picture of the gun be sent to your E-mail with a Coke-cola can included in the picture.
It does not make sense that there is a "drop box on his property and he does not get to it that often"
It could be that someone is using someone's FFL without his permission or that he is selling a gun that he only has a picture of. I would do some investigation before I sent money. If the guy is honest he will not care to verify everything is O.K. on his end.

DCM
02-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Is this a long gun or a handgun?? It does make a difference.
At the same time he told you he has an FFL so I would want to verify it.

MT Gianni
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
If it is out of state he will need to ship [sell] to your ffl and you will in essence buy it from your local ffl. While he does not need an ffl to sell a gun on gunbroker he should not tell you that he has one and does not. You transfer fees cover the cost of sale between him and you, usually a penny each way.

Wayne Smith
02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm just curious what you found out about the situation.

Olevern
02-14-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm just curious what you found out about the situation.

+1, Olevern

km101
02-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Can you afford to "throw away" the amount of money that you would spend on the gun? If not, then you need to investigate further. As stated, your physical address must be on your FFL, not a "drop box." Check it out to avoid being burned.

And let us know how it came out! "Inquiring minds want to know."

Boerrancher
02-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I have a saying in my family, "In God we trust, all others must be verified." I have never personally had an FFL though I have had access to several over the years. I never told anyone that I had an FFL. I always said that it belongs to a friend or to the Shop owner when I was in college. I would check things out a bit, especially in this climate where gun owners in general are being targeted by the Feds. One can never be to safe these days.

Best wishes,

Joe