PDA

View Full Version : Ar-15

skimmerhead
02-10-2013, 10:55 PM
i was wondering if anyone has some comments, pro or con on the DPMS Panther AP4 i'm not familiar with AR's and would like to hear what people think of this rifle. thanks for any reply's. i purchased a dpms AP4 and it should be here wendsday, at first i wanted a more tradional stock but decided that with my old eyes i needed a flat top so i could mount an optic so i could at least hit the barn, now i'm trying to figure out what optic i should get. i chose DPMS AP4 because of the chromed chamber and barrel and the few reviews i read about there rep. i myself have never ventured into this area of firearms, but thanks to obamalama i'm the new owner of another rifle. i thank all of you who have responded to this. again, thank you.
skimmerhead

nhrifle
02-10-2013, 11:25 PM
It's a good rifle. My father has the Sportical model, not exactly to my taste, but mechanically sound and no problems to date. I have a 20" barrel model I use for highpower competition and it runs like a champ, and I have not been easy on it. I had some short stroking of the carrier when I first got it, but this has been the case with most ARs I have owned. DPMS puts out a quality product.

somedude101
02-11-2013, 01:02 AM
That is the rifle I have and it works great.

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2013, 06:22 AM
i too had a sportical and it was a great little rifle. Light, accurate and very reliable. I wish i had it back right now! It was sure a handy little rifle and weighted about a lb less then any other ar i had.

GT27
02-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I like anything that Stag Arms makes,my Stag 3 since new has never had 1 hiccup,and shoots MOA if I do my part! 51 year old eyes!!!:shock:

Screwbolts
02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I have shoot more DPMS uppers than I can recall. I personally ran over 4000 rounds threw a 16" Sportical, most were cast, 700+ were 62 gr. tracers. never once a problem. I never shot a factory round in it and it worked Perfectly. That upper is in Maine now and is still going strong. It even still has the original gas rings on the bolt.

I have a 16 DPMS Oricle now that has over 3000 rounds threw it. Cast and tracers.

All Armalite Rifle uppers that are built to Mil specs as these are share the same interchangeable parts. I have assembled many uppers but I can not buy the Parts to assemble for what these sold for before the last election.

About the only place I know of that has a for this time short 4 week shipping on uppers is Rguns.com

If you can find a DPMS you can't go wrong IMHO

Del-Ray
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Be very wary about falling into the Mil-spec trap.

The only way to get a REAL Mil-Spec weapon is to have it issued to you by the military.

The ability to exchange parts is only a small part of "Mil-Spec".

It has to be made of the same materials, coated/finished properly, assembled properly, and finally: inspected by a government inspector. Also so many of the parts have to be tested as well. Also only a few companies are authorized to create these weapons. Anyone else is right out!

One of the few companies I know off hand that create rifles as close to Mil-Spec as possible is Bravo Company. They do everything except have Government inspectors. Including proper phosphating, bead blasting, and HP testing/MP inspection of bolt and barrel.

Does it matter? Eh.... I don't know. In my shop I spend the extra 5 minutes to explain that Mil-Spec isn't really what they think it is. Not everyone needs a true as close to Mil-Spec as possible. I have the first AR I assembled when I was 18. It's all commercial tripe. But I've put thousands down the pipe with nary a rifle related problem.

I've since switched to my Bravo Rifle as a primary and as the parts under stress have been tested properly I have more trust in it and it's reliability if my sphincter is on the line.

nicholst55
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I totally agree with Del-Ray. If you're buying the rifle for what 95% of us are - a range toy/hunting rifle, don't worry about it being 'milspec.' If I was buying it to use while kicking down doors for a living or surviving the zombie apocalypse/upcoming revolution, then I might worry about it. I have ARs that are built strictly with 'milspec' components and others that aren't. They shoot just about the same, and none of them have broken on me yet. I know, never say never!

skimmerhead
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I have shoot more DPMS uppers than I can recall. I personally ran over 4000 rounds threw a 16" Sportical, most were cast, 700+ were 62 gr. tracers. never once a problem. I never shot a factory round in it and it worked Perfectly. That upper is in Maine now and is still going strong. It even still has the original gas rings on the bolt.

I have a 16 DPMS Oricle now that has over 3000 rounds threw it. Cast and tracers.

All Armalite Rifle uppers that are built to Mil specs as these are share the same interchangeable parts. I have assembled many uppers but I can not buy the Parts to assemble for what these sold for before the last election.

About the only place I know of that has a for this time short 4 week shipping on uppers is Rguns.com

If you can find a DPMS you can't go wrong IMHO i totally agree with your assessment at the bottom of your post. i'm waiting for delivery of my ar as i write this. i don't know what i'm going to do with it. i was thinking of selling it but my wife wants to keep it. ( she's weird ) i would like to shoot it at least once, but because of my deteriorating health i may not be able too, but at least i'll have the satisfaction of giving obamalama a poke in the eye, though it be small it feels good.
skimmer

seagiant
02-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi,
Here's my DPMS AR-308! Works great,came with a carry handle/sights and the classic round upper hand guards, changed to Magpul furniture and a Zeiss 3x9 scope!

skimmerhead
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
it came in early, got it this afternoon! i ain't selling it!!!
skimmerhead

Combat Diver
02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
My home built using a Stag lower. Took a few deer with it in 5.56mm this past season.

http://i48.servimg.com/u/f48/16/48/54/01/ar_wit10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=817&u=16485401)

CD

skimmerhead
02-13-2013, 02:41 AM
that's a nice looking rifle! that sidearm don't look too shabby either, i like!!!
skimmerhead

nhrifle
02-13-2013, 03:29 AM
Looks like you got a good one, Skimmerhead. Be sure and extend that stock a little though, your nose will thank you!

CD, nice example of a pair of truly American firepower.

seagiant
02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi,
The nice thing about the AR system is you can change out anything you want to your taste!

skimmerhead
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
i have an offer for a trade, 1600 rounds of rem. umc .223 ammo for a .44mag lever action rifle that i want to sell. i need to make up my mind today. at todays inflated prices and availabilty its a good deal, but at normal prices its only a fair deal. i don't know, i need to think about it some more.
skimmerhead

Mr Humble
02-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Own two 15s, Remington R 15 223 and Bushmaster carbon fiber upper 5.56 on a Plum Crazy carbon lower. The Remington, being a 223 has a reasonable two stage trigger (lighter hammer spring than 5.56), The Plum Crazy, in spite of a 5.56 hammer spring, has an excellent single stage 3 pound pull. My other AR is a DPMS with 4 uppers: 260LR, 308 16", 308 LR and 300 SAUM LR. The factory triggers suck and it was replaced with a Geisel (wonderful). Also owned a DPMS Sweet 16 for a while and that trigger also sucked. It was replaced with the "Gold Trigger" http://www.americantrigger.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=2 which was great. All of these rifles with designed handloads (except the 16" 308) will shoot 1 MOA or better. The 16" is a 1.5 MOA rifle with a Russian (Kalinka) 6X and DWM German milspec ammo. The LRs all carried 4-16 Schmidts. The Carbon AR has a 1-4 illuminated Mamba, cheap but seems to work fine. It also has a TAC light and is getting a Crimson Trace laser as well. The R 15 came with a matching camo Nikon Coyote 4.5-14 that will work fine as Yote popper.

Now if I could just fine a 450 Bushmaster upper !

The 16" 308 with (at the time) a Trijicon 1.2-4, The R 15 and the Plumcrazy with the now gone K1 and now gone bayonet mount laser.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/fda3bb92.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/file_zpsfce42a61.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/6a9adb58.jpg

Mr Humble
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
i have an offer for a trade, 1600 rounds of rem. umc .223 ammo for a .44mag lever action rifle that i want to sell. i need to make up my mind today. at todays inflated prices and availabilty its a good deal, but at normal prices its only a fair deal. i don't know, i need to think about it some more.
skimmerhead

Skimmer, here in S Florida, 5.56 milspec Federal/LC 55 gr FMJs are selling for $1.00 a round at the local ranges. Most ranges limit you to one or two boxes (20) per day. Will the mania end ? Who knows. As long as Obama's non military departments keep buying millions of rounds of 5.56, probably not.
A'int no 44 magnum Marlin worth $1600 bucks, so were it me, I'd jump on it and move the 223 ASAP. (try and find any, anywhere !)

skimmerhead
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Skimmer, here in S Florida, 5.56 milspec Federal/LC 55 gr FMJs are selling for $1.00 a round at the local ranges. Most ranges limit you to one or two boxes (20) per day. Will the mania end ? Who knows. As long as Obama's non military departments keep buying millions of rounds of 5.56, probably not.
A'int no 44 magnum Marlin worth $1600 bucks, so were it me, I'd jump on it and move the 223 ASAP. (try and find any, anywhere !)your right about $1.00 a rd its crazy! i think my neighbor wants 1200 rds so if he takes 1200 i can get what i have in the rifle and have 400 rd's for myself, that's enough ammo for me. that's some nice looking rifle's you got there!

Mr Humble
02-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks, actually killed a speed goat with the 260 LR. It was 12 pounds all up and humping it around NW Wyoming was no fun when I was still a "ute" (68).

The carbon fiber 15 weighs 4.5 pounds clean, maybe 6.5 scoped and loaded. Handy to have around when the Obama meltdown comes our way. No problem staying on a 1/2 man gong at 300 yards with 5.56 penetrators. rather doubt many of the wreckers (see Atlas Shrugged) will have serious if any body armor.

If they are a long, long way away I have an alternative. 338 RUM, 36" 3 groove nitrided barrel w/4-28 IOR. 1/2 moa w/300 gr Bergers.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/file-82.jpg

garym1a2
02-14-2013, 01:57 PM
I need to find out where, I sold off 150 rounds for $100 and still have 150 rounds left of this Milspec.
Besides my own load of 556 is much more accurate and the 69 grainers I load are better at distance.

A'int no 44 magnum Marlin worth $1600 bucks, so were it me, I'd jump on it and move the 223 ASAP. (try and find any, anywhere !)

Mr Humble
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
The 55s are allowed on indoor ranges, many heavy or penetrators (green tip) are not. So your's is worth more here in FL than in places with outdoor ranges.

W.R.Buchanan
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
DPMS is currently 12-14 MONTHS out . and that's if they don't get sold!

Randy