PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits for 9.3x74r

Snyper565
02-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi! I new here and was just wondering what you guys think about cast boolits in a 9.3x74r double rifle. I just want them for plinking so i dont have to use up my factory ammo. i would like to cast them without a gas check and was wondering what i would have to use pertainint to alloy so i do not get leading. Could i use just straight ww or would that be to hard? new to casting so anything would help. Thanks!

RPRNY
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Cast bullets for 9.3x74r: great. Non gas checked? Issue, in my opinion.

You have a jolly great case there. To shoot successfully without a GC lower pressures/velocities and chamber temperatures are to be desired. No firm numbers on this but a general rule of thumb is something like under 1500 fps MV with a somewhat harder alloy. There is room to wiggle there but the issue is finding a powder that will operate efficiently in that capacious case and not gas cut an unchecked bullet. Trail Boss is the likely answer. Hodgdon guidance is measure a full case - powder non-compressed to base of seated bullet and start load at 75% of that weight. Check IMR guidance to be certain of that please.

IMHO, you would have a better experience with gas checked bullets but you should experiment to your own satisfaction.

RPRNY
02-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Sorry, start load with TB is 70% of uncompacted full charge. Here is the link to the TB loading guidance from IMR: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf.

Again, alloy hardness is not, in and of itself, the sole key to the equation. The key is to find that formula which operates to your satisfaction at pressures, velocities, and temperatures that allow for optimal bullet base obturation (filling bore and groove) without distortion or gas cutting. TB may do that, though it is a fast burner and there will be a good deal of it in a case that holds 84.3 grains of water. There may well be better, slow burners, but the trick is finding one that will operate well with reduced loads - not a feature of most slow burners...

AkMike
02-11-2013, 03:46 AM
The problem with shooting plain based bullets in a DR is that you won't be able to get them up to the regulation speed.
You really need to find a gas checked bullet to get up to the 2250 fps that the rifle was regulated with. I'm assuming that it was set with 286 grn bullets. The 232 and 250 grn rifles should be about the same speed.

Snyper565
02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Thank you! I guess I'll just look into bullets with gas checks.

AkMike
02-11-2013, 08:38 PM
The X74 isn't that much of a kicker IMO. If I were looking for a mold for it Look at what Tom at Accuratemolds.com has set up. He can set you up with 1 mold with 2 different cavities with gas checks. Go for a 286 and one that's about 220. (75% of the normal weight bullet) You should be able to get them to easily regulate properly.
If I can be of further help drop me a PM. I tend to loose these threads.

Reverend Recoil
02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
My Ruger No.1 9.3x74R shoots cast bullets very well. I paper patch a Saeco #352 35 Caliber (358 Diameter) 245 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check bullet. These bullets measure 0.368" with two wraps of 25# tracing paper. No custom mold or sizing die is needed. They will drop the bigest wild boar in its tracks. Search "9.3x74R" in the Smokeless Paper Patched forum for all of the details.

clintsfolly
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Look at the NOE 368-280 shoots great in my 9.3x62 but I have not tried them in a DR. If that boolit is of your liking can work out something to trade a some to you. Clint

scb
02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Yup you might want to think about Paper Patching. You can use easy to find .358 dia. boolits. I've had great luck with mine. You can also drive them as fast as your jacketed.