PDA

View Full Version : 395 RB in 410

Single Shot
07-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I was digging around an estate sale and came up with 1000 410 felt wads, overshot cards and a .395 RB mold from Lyman/Ideal. ( The original Belknapp Blue Grass price sticker on the mold box is $8)

I also found a box of New 410 2.5 Magtech brass shells.

I was thinking of using these in either a Marlin bolt action I have or a Single shot Supercomache handgun I have in 410/45 Colt This has a rifled barrel.

Any ideas or comments?

I also picked up a complete LEE LOADER for 410. It will do up to 3" shells. $15 :mrgreen: [smilie=1:

I know most 410 brass is loaded with black powder. I may just sell the brass on flea bay.

I have to check the Marlin to see if the .395 will clear the choke. I don't remember what is is chocked as.

singleshotbuff
07-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I can't be of much help, but it sounds like fun!! I enjoying playing with RBs in smoothbores. Never tried the .410, have worked with 12ga a lot and am starting to work with a 20ga.

FWIW, to find a starting load, I weigh the RB in question and select a shot load that matches the weight (1, 1 1/8oz so forth) or is for a HEAVIER payload. For instance, for some 12ga RBs I was working with, they weighed 1 1/16oz from my alloy. I started with 1 1/8oz shot data and it worked out well.

I'd be interested in your results, PLEASE POST THEM when you work out a load.

SSB

45nut
07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Man that Lee Loader in .410 is a score, been looking for one for years.
Re: the .410 brass, do a search for the .450 Mongo, thats the real deal.

Slowpoke
07-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I have used WC 820 with three . 390 RB with a combo of felt and card wads with the Magtec brass. I adjust the wads so I have just enough room left to glue in a over shot card with Duco cement,. . 395 is to big for mine.

good luck

Single Shot
07-25-2007, 11:51 PM
I have used WC 820 with three . 390 RB with a combo of felt and card wads with the Magtec brass. I adjust the wads so I have just enough room left to glue in a over shot card with Duco cement,. . 395 is to big for mine.

good luck

Did I understand that right? You put THREE .390 RB in one shell?

Single Shot
07-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Man that Lee Loader in .410 is a score, been looking for one for years.
Re: the .410 brass, do a search for the .450 Mongo, thats the real deal.

Yeah I know. I have seen them on flea bay for up to $75 if the bidding carried it that far. Average is about $55.

Now to make you real sick. This was a family run estate sale not a pro auction. The son had a $25 sticker on the Lee box and when I picked it up to look at it he said, "Ill take $15 just to sell it. 410 is not to popular anymore."

It is the deluxe set with two different types of crimps. Here's to ignorance. :drinks:

I forgot to mention that at the estate sale I also picked up a can of Sodiun Silicate know to shooters as WATERGLASS.

Sodium silicate has been widely used as a general purpose cement, but especially for applications involving cementing objects exposed to heat or fire. For example, sodium silicate has been provided in home first-aid kits and used in medical practice as a glue for holding human skin together at surface cuts. It has also been used as a general purpose paper cement.

One common example of its use as a paper cement was for producing paper cartridges for black powder revolvers produced by Colt's Manufacturing Company during the period from 1851 until 1873, especially during the American Civil War. Sodium silicate was used to seal combustible nitrated paper together to form a conical paper cartridge to hold the black powder, as well as to cement the lead ball or conical bullet into the open end of the paper cartridge. Such sodium silicate cemented paper cartridges were inserted into the cylinders of revolvers, thereby speeding the reloading of cap and ball black powder revolvers. This use largely ended with the introduction of Colt revolvers employing brass-cased cartridges starting in 1873.

Those interested in WaterGlass can fine Sodium Silicate in the paint dept of home improvement stores. I am going to use it to hold the overshot cards in place.

floodgate
07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Sodium Silicate (also known as "egg keep"; painted on eggs to preserve them for long-term storage) was also used in the old days to glue the overshot wad into brass shotshells. It is tough, but brittle, and worked well in this application.

floodgate

Single Shot
07-26-2007, 02:00 PM
AND I THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

I will try that EGG KEEP trick for camping. Sounds like a way to keep them fresh without ice. It would be great for back packing to have fresh eggs instead of powdered.

twotoescharlie
07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
sodium silicate-also known as water glass. I have been loading .444 brass with three .395 balls for quite a few years. I shoot them in my converted #1 enfield . don't remember the load but was quite accurate at 30-40 yards. used the water glass to seal the top wad.

TTC

floodgate
07-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Single Shot:

Before I send you off camping with those eggs, I thought I'd better check, in my 1943 edition of "Formulas for Profit", Editor H. Bennett and many, many contributors ($1.00 at the Goodwill Store, many years back). I quote:

"Preservation of Eggs
Water Glass method:

9 quarts of soft water, boiled and cooled; add 1 quart water glass; stir thoroughly. Sufficient for 15 dozen eggs. [Cholesterol, anyone?] Use 6 gallon crock. Scald crock before using. Allow at least two inches of solution over eggs. Place crock in a cool, dry environment, well covered to prevent evaporation."

So, my elderly memory did not fail me completely; but it doesn't look too practical, hauling that crock around in your back-pack.

floodgate

BluesBear
07-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Three balls in a brass .410 case isn't much different than the modern 3, 4 or 5 pellet buckshot loads in plastic cases.

When cut down to cylinder length, .410 brass cases make good snake shot loads in .45 Colt. You just run the front portion of the case into a .44 Mag die and it will chamber just fine in a .45 Colt revolver. And due to the increased internal capacity as compared to a plastic .410 you can get quite a bit of shot in there.

Water glass is great for sealing snakeshot loads. I've used it for years.
I cut my top wads from pizza boxes.
Hey, it's recycling.