PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 1st rifle Boolit load

pt4u2nv
02-10-2013, 10:27 AM
OK...Just cast my 1st rifle Boolit for my Contender 357 Herrett. I am attempting to use Lyman 358315 RN at approx 214 grs w/ gascheck. Problem is I cannot find any data on cast for the 357 Herret. The closest I can get is in Sierras 3rd Edition they list a 200 gr RN "J" bullet. This list this particular bullet load at min 22.5 grs of H4227 at 1750 fps. Cartridge OAL at 2.345"

Here is what I came up with so far for my situation so I need a little confidence builder before I pull the trigger for the 1st shot. I water dropped to a BHN of approx 11.8 the day of pour. Sized at .357, bored slugged at .3557. Lyman gascheck, boolit seated to 2.385" . Loaded 21.5 grs of H4227. Carnuba Red lube. Actual weight of boolit is 214 grs. w/ chk.I used LR Mag primer per Sierras recommendation on the Herrett.

1st concern was the necessary OAL, I just barely seated the boolit and chambered it to get a starting dimension and it dropped the entire way into the chamber without any interference at all . Obviously I could not seat the boolit out this far so I seated it at 2.385 so the last lube groove was barely covered in the neck of the case. This dropped into the chamber and gun closed easily.

Any issues in what I did so far and does it appear to be a safe load ? Just for my future info is it a good idea to use starting loads in jacketed bullets, same weight, to start working up loads for cast ? I actually dropped 1 gr under Sierras starting jacketed load at 200 grs to compensate for the 214 gr weight on my cast. I have always been a little unsure on the conversion from jacketed to cast loading info. Thanks for any of the expert advice I hopefully will receive.

robroy
02-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Off hand I'd say you need bigger boolits. Will your as cast (unsized) boolits fit in your unsized cases? In any case take a chamber cast and load accordingly. Someone else with more experience than I will doubtless have a better answer for you.

pt4u2nv
02-11-2013, 07:07 AM
No advice on this ? Someone has to have some sort of advice one way or another. I dont want to do anything unsafe here just new to loading rifle cartridge with cast and not having any avail info on this caliber.

Alan in Vermont
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I can't find my data from when I was running a 357 H. in a 14" bbl. Contender shooting silhouettes. I was running 200 gr. Hornady Spire Points but I'm not sure what powder or charge weight. I have a 358315 here too but I don't remember ever shooting cast in the Herrett, I may have bought the mold about the same time I switched to an XP in 7mm Br Rem for my unlimited gun.

If I was shooting cast in your Herrett tube I would use data for 200 gr. J-words and not worry about the small weight difference. Cast will generally run less pressure than Js. FWIW, the Hodgdon magazine style data book doesn't list loads for H4227 for 200 gr. bullets. They do list SR-4759, which shows up as one notch slower than H-4227 with a weight of 23 gr. and is a compressed charge. Best listed velocity was with 28.2 grs. -IMR-4198 but the pressure is pretty high at 45,000 CUP.

kenyerian
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I checked cast bullet load data and did not find any listed for that heavy of a boolit. http://castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?start=61 Hodgdon Reloading Data center does have some data for 200 grain J's http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

wmitty
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
pt4u2nv

I hesitated to comment 'cause I don't shoot a Contender. One thing I will mention is the relationship between jacketed and cast and pressures. My understanding is the hardness of jacketed slugs causes higher chamber pressures than what occur with a cast boolit of the same weight and size. I would think you are on the right track as far as having a save load for the Contender. robroy's suggestion of making a chamber cast is a good one; you might be able to use the boolit unsized which might come closer to matching the throat and give better accuracy. It also sounds like you might be able to used a heavier boolit which would allow seating the nose touching the leade and allowing for better groups.

runfiverun
02-12-2013, 03:10 PM
it's not chamber pressure, it's engraving pressure and barell friction that's lower with lead.

BCB
02-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I have used jacketed data for cast boolits--but that is me...

You will need to decide for yourself...

I doubt you will ever be able to seat any slug to the rifling in any Contender barrel. I never have been able and I have 7 different cartridges to use in the Contender barrel...

Here is a link to some 357 Herrett data...

http://stevespages.com/357p_3_200.html

Good-luck...BCB

pt4u2nv
02-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone. BCB I have agree with you on seating the boolit to the rifling. Just placed one of the boolits in the case to see how far out I could seat it and I started with the gascheck just barely in the neck and the loaded round still dropped right into the chamber so it is obvious that aint gonna happen. I dropped the boolit in the chamber and tapped on it just to see where the rifling would start contacting the nose and it starts marking it within 1/8" from the front end of the boolit. All seems witnin reason so i am going to head out as soon as the bad weather clears and see what I get. I sized at .357 to start only because the bore mic'd at .3555 so that is where I will begin my journey....

pt4u2nv
02-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Next big question is the debate on magnum vs standard primers. My Sierra book , 3rd edition says to use magnum primers exclusively but all my other early edition books that list the herrett say standard primers. Any thoughts on that issue. Guess I am a little gunshy going into this for the 1st time with cast and loads that are not "by the book"

MtGun44
02-13-2013, 02:00 AM
Use the 200 gr J-bullet data, and back off a bit.

Bill

nhrifle
02-13-2013, 03:47 AM
Using the 200 grain jacketed load data will keep you on the safe side, since our cast boolits go down the bore easier than a jacketed bullet. Adjust your load as you see fit, but do so sensibly. Remember -- a big part of the fun we have is experimenting!

pt4u2nv
02-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks again all who commented. I feel a bit more comfortable with what I am doing now. Just really curious on how this will shoot with the boolit having such a huge jump to get to the rifling.