PDA

View Full Version : .25 ACP mould and load info wanted

OeldeWolf
07-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Hello, everyone.

I just picked up a pair of Mauser pocket pistols. I would like to load for them, preferably with cast bullets. They are fun to shoot.

But I need a mould, and does anyone have any loading data for these pistols? I am thinking perhaps Trail Boss powder? I do not seem to find any moulds listed in the usual retailers for the ,25 ACP bullet.

OeldeWolf
who may yet get kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms

chevyiron420
07-25-2007, 06:28 AM
my lyman book calls for #252435, 51 grain boolit and .9 starting of bullseye, and max of 1.2 grain. -phil:castmine:

Bret4207
07-25-2007, 08:11 AM
The only really availble 25 auto boolit is the lyman .251 model. They come up on Ebay quite often and go cheap. Due to the blowback design your pressure curve is limited for function. There have been a few aritcles in Handloader, Handloaders Digest, Gun Digest I think on developing effective 25 Auto loads. FWIW when I owned a Beretta 25 I stuck with 35 gr Silvertips and blazer 50 gr ammo. The thought of sticking my fat fingers near the junction of the case mouth and die brought visions of cookie cutter wounds to me mitts. Those with skiiny digits may be able to avoid this.

Poygan
07-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Bret is right. Casting, sizing and loading these little beasts makes me want to reach for a tweezers. But, I do all the above anyway. I have an RCBS mold purchased from a gent on this board. PM me if you need data. I don't recall Trail Boss being one of the powders listed. Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, 700-X are some of the ones I recall.

TAWILDCATT
07-26-2007, 03:53 PM
trail boss whould be wrong as it would bulk to much.bullseye is the factory standard

OeldeWolf
07-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Thank you, Tawildcat. It is little thingslike that which are not in the books that can trip a person up. But then, I have not found much on the .25ACP at all. Not popular right now.

OeldeWolf

Catshooter
07-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Oelde,

Sometime coming up I will be having Lee make for several of us a custom 6 cavity mould for a semi-wadcutter .25 acp mould. If you'd like one, PM me.

If you look in the 'Group Buys' forum you'll see some history of what we've done and the thread about this boolit.

Cat