PDA

View Full Version : Magtech Primers

pumpguy
07-25-2007, 01:21 AM
I went to the Sportmans Warehouse for some primers and powder today. They had Red Dot for $15.50 a pound, but, did not have CCI, Winchester or Remington small pistol primers. The tags on the shelf said $23.99 to $24.99 per thousand. They did have Magtechs for $18.99 per thousand. I bought 2000 of them. The guy at the store said they were vry similar to Winchesters. Unfortunately he also told me S&W did not make a revolver in 45 acp and that I could use .355 9mm's in my Makarov. Has anyone here used these primers? If so, do they shoot like Winchester? Any bad experiences?

UweJ
07-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Iīm using the large pistol primers in my Springfield Trophy Match and donīt have any problems with them. Used to have Winchester Primers but they are hard to get right now in germany.
The material seems to be a tick thicker than Win,but that is all right.They fit nice and snug and you dont need to force them in the brass.
Hope this helped some.
Uwe:drinks:

Intel6
07-25-2007, 03:32 PM
I tried out 1K large and small pistol primers and everythingn I tried my reloads in ignited so I was happy. Went back and bought 10K of each size.

Neal in AZ

rbstern
07-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Magtech primers are working 100% for me. Using them in loads previously worked up with (mostly) Rem and Win primers.

No problems, good performance, and seat better (slightly lower) than the Remingtons due to more consistent size.

mag_01
07-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Same here for me I use them in large rifle and they feel good to me --- Mag_01

LAH
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
They are great, buy'em while they're cheap.

GrizzLeeBear
07-26-2007, 09:17 PM
IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT SHOOTING LOADED 9MM LUGER (PARABELUM) IN YOUR MAKAROV - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

The 9mm (9x19) is a smaller .355 dia. bullet vs a .364 dia. in the 9mm Makarov (9x18). But more importantly, the 9mm operates at a max. pressure of 35,000 psi, the Makarov has a max. of 24,000 psi. You could be a serious risk of damaging you and your gun. All of the Makarov guns are straight blowback actions and are not designed to handle the higher pressure of a 9mm.
If your talking about loading 9x18 (Makarov) with .355 bullets that won't work either. The bullets would just fall into to case. Even if you loaded them somehow, your accuracy would be not existent. The .355 bullet would basically rattle down the larger .364 bore.
Smith and Wesson did make a revolver in 45 acp. I think it was the 625? Popular for IDPA revolver from what I gather, because it used moon clips. But I think its been discontinued for some time. Anyone?
Just goes to show you, always take anything you here from "the guy" in a gun store with a grain (or three) of salt.
He did get the Magtech primers right, though. I used them in 45 acp (don't have one anymore), and use them in 357, when I can get them. For my loads they are interchangeable and are a good bit cheaper.

MGySgt
07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
GrizzLeeBear -

IMHO - I think pumpguy was being a little sarcastic about the 9mm and 45ACP revolver.

Buy the way the 625 is stall a catolg item for S&W - either in 45 Colt or 45 ACP. The 625 in 45ACP is a great gun - One I will never let go aslong as I breath!

Drew

pumpguy
07-26-2007, 10:46 PM
I was being a little sarcastic. Just trying to show that he did not know a whole lot about bullets or guns, so, I didn't know whether or not I should trust him about the primers. Thanks for all the info on the Magtech primers. The price is right so I think I will go buy a few thousand more.

GrizzLeeBear
07-29-2007, 09:13 PM
I was being a little sarcastic.

Glad to hear that. Don't know how many times I have heard an "expert" in a gun shop telling someone with little experience with guns "you HAVE to do this..." or "you CAN'T do that....." yada, yada, yada. Most times you just have to walk away and shake your head.
I didn't know how much knowledge you had with the Makarov round, just didn't what you or anyone else getting hurt by mixing them up with a 9mm. Many people don't know the difference. I don't have one myself, but I would like one in the future and have read a lot about them.
Good to hear they still make the 625, might have to get one of them too someday.

pumpguy
07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up Grizlee. It's kind of scary how little some of these guys actually know. I often listen to some of these guys just long enough to shake my head and politely walk away, praying that it is all talk and nobody gets hurt. As for the Mak, I highly recommend them. They are a lot of fun. I just finished casting about 1000 boolits and cutting down and reaming about 500 Luger cases. That is the only drawback, really. It's kind of fun for the first 200 or so, but, then it starts to kind of suck.