PDA

View Full Version : Dr Appt

carpetman
07-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Here at Goodfellow AFB we have a dermatologist assigned. She has seen me in the past. I have place come up on my lip and called for an appointment. The Dr is now assigned as chief of clinical services and is not seeing patients. Real good,you have a Dr assigned doing administrative duty---why not assign an admin type and use the Dr's skills,training and education? There are no dermatologists in San Angelo that will accept tri care so I had to go to Abilene today. Went to same office that did my Mohs surgery year or so ago. Didnt see Dr,but saw his nurse and she was 100% sure I have another cancer. More about it later---. Well she takes biopsy and in time I'll find out her suspicion is correct and have to have more Mohs surgery. Those not familar with Mohs surgery it was named after someone--I guess one of the 3 stooges. They cut analyze what was cut off and cut again if needed and keep repeating this process untill they get clear margins.( I told the nurse I do mow surgery on my lawn). Where they have the capability to do the lab work right there on the spot during surgery,why is it going to take a couple weeks to find out the results of todays cutting? The cancer the nurse thinks I have is called squamous(sp)cell. The last one I had was basil cell. She said the squamos is worse--goes deeper and grows faster. Took a month and half to get the appt and now another couple weeks to get lab results and then wait on an opening----and the thing is growing. She gave me a pamphlet about squamos and I have it figured how to not have another. Said being in the sun was main culprit. I thought I had been careful and wearing a brimmed hat in sun,but obviously not enough. It also said mainly in folks with blue,green,gray and a few other colors but not brown eyed folks get this. Heard it's also in jeans. So I quit wearing jeans will help and get me some brown contacts and that'll seal the deal I dont get one of these again. Now the appointment for surgery might be a conflict---I have a dental appt and an appt for a colonostomy already scheduled--hell they work both ends. If the Dr I mentioned that is now doing an admin job could have sparred about 10 minutes,she could have done the biopsy and saved me a month and half wait and 172 miles of driving---sure makes sense to put a Dr in a clerk job.

Pepe Ray
07-25-2007, 03:16 AM
My heart and prayers go out to you Rugman.
Seems like the Medicos are taking lessons from govment.
Is the squamous like malignant melanoma? I got thru that back in '71.
Attitude and a smile. Keep on keeping on.
Pepe Ray

Bret4207
07-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Doncha just love skin cancer? My kids are embarassed 'cuz Dad where's a goofy Walmart cowboy hat around the farm. Told them they can go in and have half their face froze off every 6 months and I'll stay inside watching cartoons. Keep the faith Uncle Ray. This is one bas&^*d that's not gonna beat us.

BTW- Your experience sounds alot like the Canadian system complaints I hear. Maybe all these "Nationalized Health Care" promoters should go through your experience a bit and see how they like it. The local radio staion, (CFRA-Ottawa) often has stories about the abuses the Socilaized system hands out to it's population. But their not real PC, and Canadian PC makes our version of PC look like the Klan at a Civil Rights march.

NVcurmudgeon
07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Ray, the Mohs scale is used to compare the relative hardness of minerals. Maybe they are testing you for........never mind. Seriously our prayers will be with you, and it sounds like we better add one for the Lord to build a fire under those medical bureaucrats. Regards, Bill and Fran

waksupi
07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Ray, they keep cutting chunks off of you, we'll just collect the parts, and make another clone. Just what we need. Two Carpetmen! Been circumcised yet?

carpetman
07-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Waksupi--Yes they circumcised me. It required a team of surgeons and I lost several pounds on the operating table and couldn't walk for a year.

Scrounger
07-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Waksupi--Yes they circumcised me. It required a team of surgeons and I lost several pounds on the operating table and couldn't walk for a year.

I told you to put a muzzle on that sheep...

Jon K
07-26-2007, 03:08 AM
carpetman,

Will add you to the Prayer list.

I know how you feel about the wait, the anxiety will eat you up. I guess I was lucky, having brown eyes. But being cut and cut again, going deeper on the lip is no fun, especially when trying to eat, or worse yet, when you laugh, and you tear the stiches. Had several growths cut, when I worked outdoors everyday. You learn to take precautions.

Bottom line- Put your trust in God & Never under estimate the power of prayer.

Jon

7br
07-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Dang it. You've getting so many people so much lip, the guvmint done decided to get their share.

Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

Hear about the Rabbi that never charged for circumcisions? He just kept tips. After a few years he made a wallet that turned into a suitcase if you rubbed it.

Trapshooter
07-26-2007, 10:54 PM
I had a squamous cell carcinoma develop on the side of my nose right near the corner of my right (dominant) eye. I also went to a dermatologist, who took a little piece for a biopsy, but since it was too close to the eye, wouldn't agree to remove the whole thing. Ended up going to a plastic surgeon to finish the job. I always wore a hat, and didn't spend that much time outdoors. Since then, I also use a lot of high octane sunscreen. No problems since, knock on wood.

If I recall correctly, I was told the basal cell variety was worse than the squamous cell variety. Best wishes.

Trapshooter

crazy mark
07-26-2007, 11:28 PM
None of them cancers are good. I have survived melanoma now for 10 years. Lost 1/2 of my left thumb. Sun isn't the only problem as chemicals can cause it also. The old dry cleaning stuff are supposed to cause different cancers. I hope they get it all C-man. What would the sheep do with-out you. Mark