PDA

View Full Version : cast boolit dia. consistency

reloader
07-30-2005, 09:18 PM
looking for some advice. I just started casting my own boolits. I'm casting for .357 magnum. I use Lee mold, # tl358-158-swc. Its designed for tumble lube and is a 158 gr. mold, six cavity. I am using ww material. My question is about the range of boolit dia. i get out of the mold. It varies from .358 to .362. I picked up the Lee sizer today. Some size easily and some i have to pull pretty good on the rock chucker handle. Is there anything i can do to get a consistent dia of .358 out of the mold?
Reloader

Junior1942
07-30-2005, 09:42 PM
You're closing the sprue plate, but the mold halves aren't completely closing. Look down into the mold with the halves closed and the sprue plate still open and make sure the halves are closed all the way. Might have to tap the mold bottom on something.

reloader
07-30-2005, 10:00 PM
thanks for your reply. I did have some trouble with closing the mold tight. I'll watch that closer next time i pour boolits. thankyou very much.
Reloader

Buckshot
07-31-2005, 04:29 AM
............Might not be a bad idea to put a bit of boolit lube on those alignment pins. They fit pretty snug in the mating holes and could hang up some, not allowing those long blocks to close completely. I wear a leather glove on my right hand while casting, for various 'Hot pickup' jobs and handling lead when refilling the pot. They're also excellent for pinching the bottom of the mould blocks about midway when closed, to assure they are in fact, closed.

............Buckshot