PDA

View Full Version : Back in Arequipa,Peru

missionary5155
02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Greetings from down under where the northern lights never shine.
Finally got our internet up. No phone yet but then I am not too surprised. Only thing that happens fast is gov officialdom holding out their pudgy fingers wanting vacation help.
Had to do my gun renewal permits.. one on each firearm. All fees went up 100% and several new ones were added. To have a long gun it is now manditory to have a hunting license... After all why else would someone want a Mossy pump or a 1892 44/40 made in 1914 ? Maybe this means I can now go out hunting 2 legged preditors before they approach me or my property. Have to ask that question when I go back to get it.
Once you have your hunting license there are fees to pay for each and every type you want to hunt. I was asked what I was going to hunt and said "conejos" (rabbits). Official smiled and said..Wonderful! Rabbits are a plague and you will be welcome to eliminate as many as you can. No restrictions and no ammo regs. I wonder what he might have thought if I said all I want to do is shoot my own ammo loaded with cast boolits?
But here we are. Thanks all for your prayers in getting here and opperational again.
Mike in Peru [smilie=2:

TXGunNut
02-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Glad to hear you arrived safely.

P.K.
02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Good to hear! Hope they didn't "fleece" you too bad.

JeffinNZ
02-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear somewhere other NZ and AU is plagued with rabbits! Shoot till you're blue in the face or the money runs out for components.

Smitty's Retired
02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Glad to hear everything is going good for you. Just watch out for them kids who like to throw them green lemons. Some of those kids have an arm on them. :shock::p

stubshaft
02-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Glad you got there safe Mike.

Olevern
02-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Sounds like they are almost as corrupt as our government.

MtGun44
02-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Good to hear you are safe. Best wishes, and a short prayer for your
safety and success.

Bill

xs11jack
02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
A long time ago, we had a missionary from Cameroon, I think, well, formerly the Gold Coast in Africa, stay with us for a week. I contrast what it took to communicate with him, letters only, when he went back, to what Missionary 5155 is able to do. Absolutely amazing. God's blessings on your sir! Prayers are being sent.
Jack

45sixgun
02-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Glad to hear you've arrived safely, Mike, and that you got your firearm legalities taken care of. I took a little missions trip to Pucallpa. Spent some time there and in Lima. And we flew out to an interior outreach base in the jungle. Been on Cessnas many times, but that was my first on the float version. Neat experience landing and taking off on the river. Used a .20 gauge to shoot an 11 foot caiman and a paca (can't remember what the Peruvians called them). Also killed monkeys with a .22. Everything was eaten of course. My brother's in Brazil, and it sounds like gun laws are more lenient in Peru than in Brazil. Count your blessings.

Wayne Smith
02-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Glad you made it to your second home, Mike. I remember the uncertainty before you left.

runfiverun
02-10-2013, 02:35 PM
i heard arequipia got some snow yesterday.
about 5-6"s, it is really messing with them,and they are concerned with flooding.
keep your head down for a day or so there mike.

missionary5155
02-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Howdy everyone
Interesting those who have been near our backyard.
Friday it rained hard for 3 hours. We received 2 inches on our rain guage. Nasty flooding in places mainly from our area mid-valley to the north . Last count is 6 dead here in the city. Heard a mud slide about 9pm on the mountains to our north 6 miles away. Sounded like a freight train but there are no tracks there. Higher up at 12000 plus the state of Arequipa got nailed with a heavy wet snow. Our city and the state have the same name. Local custom to name the state after the principal city. South of our home there was little rain after a mile or so. Two miles south near nothing. Local news station has video of the fish market getting destroyed by a mud slide down hill of us two miles away. Mud mass had suck velocity it jumped up and through the retaining wall. Think of liquid cement going 40 mph. Neighborhoods down hill from there got hit hard. Saturday police found a missing car with dead occupants. This is a dry desert area and cannot handle massive water influxes.
We had to re-enter Peru as tourists. Got 6 months which may be renewable. May be able to refile for resident visas. Have to see what transpires. We know God is in control and will adapt as we see things unfold. Till ordered out, we will continue to encourage individuals to seek God and read His Word. We are blessed to have this privalege. Thanks for all your prayers.
Kids throwing Limes.. they will throw rocks also. But far more deadly are the leather slings. Those really get a rock moving and some individuals are as good at 100 feet as I can shoot a revolver.
Mike in Peru

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
I heard about the flooding this morning and said a prayer for you. Stay safe my brother!