PDA

View Full Version : Had the CCW class today.

DLCTEX
02-09-2013, 07:31 PM
The CCW class was held at our church today and had a good number attending. My wife,our pastor's wife, and one of our ladies scored 234, 234, and 246 respectively out of a possible 250. I don't want them shooting at me. I didn't hear scores from any others, but some of the men didn't want to tell theirs after the ladies shot. We will be scheduling another class in a few weeks.:Fire:

chsparkman
02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I know what you mean. My wife outshoots me for sure. DCLTEX, you're in the eastern panhandle? My mom's family was from Shamrock.

TXGunNut
02-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Sounds like a very good day indeed. We now have more educated and armed citizens. Makes the world a better place, IMHO.

DLCTEX
02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
I know what you mean. My wife outshoots me for sure. DCLTEX, you're in the eastern panhandle? My mom's family was from Shamrock.
Wheeler, I've been here 23 years. CCW instructor was a guy named Henderson, from Shamrock.

xs11jack
02-10-2013, 12:04 AM
DLCTEX, The pastor's praying will get people into heaven, but the pastor's wife's shooting will get them there faster.
That's a paraphase from a sign I have seen on many sites.
Jack

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2013, 06:18 AM
I went through the NRA course to teach the class 5 years ago but have never actually given the class. The kid at the local gunshop does it and I hated to take any money from him as thats how he feeds his family.

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Right now there is more demand than can be met for classes. I just saw on Fox news a Pastor in Dumas is having classes held in his church. The news anchors seemed to think it was a little looney. One was reminded of a song "Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas". The pastor views it like mine does, a community service. The Mobeetie fire dept had an instructor come from Amarillo, that's 100 miles away, to do a class for their community. Austin is swamped and it will take a while for them to process the avalanche of applications they're getting.

Johnch
02-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I took mine years back

Our shooting part of the class
Was more that we were safe and could hit the target
No scoring rings were even on the target

So I shot all my shots in the head

Anyone else have someone hurt them selves

We did
I watched the guy in the next lane
Put his thumb behind the slid the first shot
Broken thumb , good gouge ( blood everywhere ) and a 45 dropping on the concrete floor

Made the class interesting at least

John

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 03:24 PM
One guy was embarrassed today as his wife outshot him. Due to having two consecutive renewals I can skip qualifying next time so I won't have to worry about my wife shooting better until I'm 75. Then I'll still have the excuse that she's so much younger, a whole year and 15 days.

hemiallen
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Good for you.
I wish it was that easy here in the Farm area of California.

Did you do the shooting at the church, and did they qualify you with your carry gun(s) ?

Allen

km101
02-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Glad to hear that we have more folks making Texas safer! We need all the educated/trained people we can get.

Classes around here have doubled and tripled in size over the last couple of months. And I tried to call Austin to ask about the reload ammo question last week......The phone lines are so busy that they have a recording saying that "call volulme is so heavy" that they are not able to handle it, and they are NOT ANSWERING the phone. LOL

I have heard that it may take anywhere from 60 - 90 days to get the CHL in the mail, so renew early!

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
They fired the course at the instructor's range south of town. The instructor has to furnish everything, targets, pamphlets , forms, etc. At $75 per he is pretty well paid with a large class. You can qualify with any handgun ( revolver or semi-auto) but if you qualify with a revolver you may not carry a semi-auto. Qualifying with a semi-auto permits any to be carried. A derringer or such would not permit you to meet the time limits unless you were super fast on reloads. 20 shots at 3 yds., 20 at 9 yds., and 10 at 15 yds.