PDA

View Full Version : Double edge shaving

tinsnips
02-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Does anyone double edge shave around here? I have been for years its the only way to go for a real great close shave. I don't what this has to do with boolit casting but my mind is wondering while a am doing bookwork. Cold outside might have something to do with.

02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Shaving, what's that?

C.F.Plinker
02-09-2013, 04:32 PM
I use the straight most of the time but I keep the double edge around for trimming the sideburns and finishing a couple of places on the jawline that the straight can't get quite right. I think the biggest improvement was going from canned shave cream to the mug soap and a brush. Lathering up the brush and putting on warm soap just seems to get the day started off right.

tinsnips
02-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I haven't got up the nerve to use a straight edge yet ,the old barber before he died always did a great job with a straight edge on me .It was one of the great joys of my life for years . I have two friends that use the straight edge they love it. 462 you throw the can out an try soap or cream saving its heaven! LOL

snuffy
02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
My face has not felt the sting of a razor for well over 20 years. I have no reason to ever change that!

I have terrible problems with ingrown hairs on my throat/neck area. The resulting boil hurts like heck until it ruptures, then heals up. No shaving===no ingrown hairs.

montana_charlie
02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I use a double-edged razor.
It's the same Gillette my Dad gave me when I left home for basic training ... in 1965.

Being thoroughly retired, I generally shave once a week, these days.

CM

Mr. Kreutz
02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Here is the connection to boolit casting...

Why do we cast and why use a double edge razor?

Higher quality results.
Lower costs.
The list goes on...

If I had to go out and buy those fancy multi bladed razors, I would feel the same grabbing a thousand rounds of .223 at GB today.

02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Tinsnips,
For a number of reasons, I quit shaving my face 40 years ago, however, I've continued to shave my neck. For many years, I used a mug, soap, and brush, but reverted back to canned cream.

dagger dog
02-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Pop bought me a Boker Red Indian straight razor, a leather and canvas strop and jar of Tripoli for my 16th birthday, split my upper lip the second timeI used it. 50 years later I'm still using it, for what facial hair I remove.

I have my granddads Pal injector single edge saftey razor,and my dads Gillette double edge saftey.

I can still get blades for the Gillette does anyone know where I can get the injector style blades ?

I'm in the same boat with Snuffy , I have a weird beard grows every direction hard to shave without cutting and gouging.

jcwit
02-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Returned to double edge shaving about two years ago, for the life of me I wonder why I ever left in the first place.

Problem is I now have a collection of 70 different Gillette, Schick and other vintage razors, also a collection of mugs and brushes.

Here is one of my favorite suppliers, if anyone is interested.

http://shop.bestshave.net/

montana_charlie
02-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Here is one of my favorite suppliers, if anyone is interested.

http://shop.bestshave.net/
Went there to look at blades and saw the link for their sampler pack.
19 blades of various brands, someting over six bucks. But, they're sold out !?!?

Is this a common thing with them?

CM

Ed Barrett
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I remember when the Super Blue Blades came out. You could shave for a week with the same blade. I thought the world couldn't get any better.

7Acres
02-09-2013, 10:20 PM
KAI DE blades in my Feather. Couldn't be anything more comfortable on the planet for me.

bruce drake
02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
www.classicshaving.com

I've been using a double razer for several years now. I will also second the use of a shaving brush and a good soap.

Bruce

drklynoon
02-09-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm a recent convert or come backer. I shaved with all kinds of razors while I was in the military, mainly a gillet sensor excell. Well 6 months or so ago I bought a double edge razor and a 1000 blades from turkey. I am so glad I made the change. I can throw a blade away when I want and not be irritated at the assinign cost. I dry shaved for most of my life so I really enjoy the soap lather and ritual of double edged shaving.

jcwit
02-09-2013, 11:12 PM
In a word, NO! Most of the Egyptian blades are the same. I like the Super Max Platinum blades made in India.

Check out their prices for shaving soap, I use the sticks and squish it into the mug.

xs11jack
02-09-2013, 11:43 PM
I only shave the upper part of my cheeks, the rest, including mustach has been hanging around since 1967. It is trimmed about every two weeks to a 1/4 inch. This is what I shave with.

lylejb
02-10-2013, 01:37 AM
I tried double edge shaving for the first time about two months ago, with a 1962 Gillette adjustable that was my dad's.

WOW, for the first time in my life shaving is actually comfortable. My ingrown hair problem has gone away, and the old ones are almost healed. The secret is to adjust the razor to not shave too (excessivly) close.

For the last 30 or so years I've been using mostly disposable's of many types, and ALL of them were problems, some more than others.

Blades: for now I'm using Kroger's store brand. I don't know who really makes them, but they are stainless, and made in USA, and working really well for me. I may buy one of the sampler packs to try different things at some later date.

Another member here posted about DE razors a couple of months ago, and that's what prompted me to check into them. I can't remember who that was, but if I do, I would like to thank him.

waksupi
02-10-2013, 01:52 AM
I only shave the upper part of my cheeks, the rest, including mustach has been hanging around since 1967. It is trimmed about every two weeks to a 1/4 inch. This is what I shave with.

I have a Rolls. Although they shave well, of they get dull, they seem to be a real pain to bring back to a good edge, at least for me. I went to a double edge, and will be selling my Rolls. I admit I am lazy, and begrudge the small amount of sharpening time required.

Thin Man
02-10-2013, 07:28 AM
I remember when the Gillette Blue Blades, and their radio commericals, were an every day fact of life. Next came the Super blue blades, then the silver color stainless or platinum blades. My dad had two (or more) devices he used to "freshen" these double edge blades. They looked like a pencil sharpener with a crank handle. Draw out a 2-prong holder, fit the blade in it, insert in the device and crank away. I used to really enjoy working over a blade for him, then found out later that some blades just didn't respond to the tool. He also used a mug of soap and brush, nothing canned for him. All the above is how I started shaving, lost the faith along the way and went over to disposables. Time for a revival, I'm going shopping.

Thin Man

bob208
02-10-2013, 09:17 AM
i learned with a gillette. then nobody around here carries blades anymore. then the last 5 years i worked in a food plant and had to shave tried the disposables. had to use two or three for each shave. found a gillette in an antique shop bought it found some blades. things have been good ever since.

Dale in Louisiana
02-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Like many things, Amazon.com has a good selection to choose from.

dale in Louisiana

jcwit
02-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I listed one of my favs, here are others I have used, or that carry quality stuff.

http://www.supersafetyrazors.com/category/23681883201/2/Double-Edge-Safety-Razors.htm
http://www.leesrazors.com/
http://shaveabuck.com/index.html
http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/index.html
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/index.html
http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/

Good Luck

Love Life
02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I recently started shaving with a safety razor in December. At first I was afraid I was going to cut my whole face off and have to get a replacement face. Not cool. I like my face.

There was a bit of a curve, but I got it figured out pretty quick and can shave my face pretty quick now without any embarrassing toilet paper patches...

I use the cheap barbasol, but will eventually move to the brush and soap technique. Sure beats paying $11.99 for a 5 pack of Mach 3 razor heads.

Firebricker
02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Yep cheapest way to shave I refuse to pay over a dollar a piece for replacement cartridges. FB

waksupi
02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Anyone else making their own shaving soap? I use the left over slivers of my home made soap. I grate it, then mix it with Eucerin moisturizing cream. It doesn't make lather for beans, but it is a slick lube.

jcwit
02-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Make my own soap? No!

Got a brick of Cella for $35.00 a few years ago and haven't even put a dent in yet, at the rate I'm using it for daily shaves it'll last for 10 years. Three fifty a year is pretty affordable to say the least, less than a penny a day. And its actually made for shaving.

Ajax
02-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I have wet shaved for years. I use a gillette tech razor with a open comb and a nice badger brush with a fine shave soap. I use to get ingrown hairs real bad, till i went to a double edge razor. No issues anymore.

Andy

Friends call me Pac
02-10-2013, 11:03 PM
I've been shaving with a str8 razor for going on three years now. Needs sharpening though. I haven't honed it in about 4-5 months and it is deffinately time. I also make up my own soap lather. My best soap mug is a soup bowl that I got from the local Chineese resteraunt.

bruce drake
02-11-2013, 12:56 AM
My shaving mug is an old white china mug from my stint in the Marines. If you've served, you'll know the old style mug I'm talking about. Thick as hell to take an occasional drop without cracking while still capable of holding a decent-sized cup of coffee. don't really use the finger hole as its too small for most but it makes for a good notch to hold onto.

Bruce

cattleskinner
02-11-2013, 01:20 AM
I have to shave for work, and used most things from the expensive three or four blade razors to the cheap disposable ones. About four months ago, I switched to a Merkur 34c(I think that was the number). It is a stubby little thing, but does a good job and is a lot cheaper per blade. I have never really gotten into the shaving cream in a can though, it's a cup and brush for me. I guess some things do get passed down from father to son, as I can remember watching my dad use a cup and brush way back in the day.

shooter2
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Does anyone double edge shave around here? I have been for years its the only way to go for a real great close shave. I don't what this has to do with boolit casting but my mind is wondering while a am doing bookwork. Cold outside might have something to do with.

Something we deal with every day.

Razor, certainly not double edged. I cut myself too often and years ago went to a multi-blade cartridge. In my case it's Shick.

For lather, here is what I like. Bear with me here. Proraso Sapone. Use a nice badger hair brush and hot water to work up the lather and slap it on. Very nice! For after shave I use many, but one of my favorites is a two hundred year old recipe called "Clubman by Pinaud". When your great grandfather went to get a shave this is what the barber used. Both available on Amazon just search on the keywords.

Speaking of shaving, anyone watch Duck Dynasty? A great show about the makers of the worlds best duck calls. Try their triple reed call.

EMC45
02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Straight razor for when I shave. Have a handful of them and hones and strops and soap and and and.................

Love Life
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Straight razor for when I shave. Have a handful of them and hones and strops and soap and and and.................

Nerve damage and the occasional case of shakey hands keeps me from trying a straight razor...

Ajax
02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I am a fan of C.O. Bigelow eucalyptus shave cream as well as art of shaving sandle wood hard soap and Pinauds Clubman. my daily regimen. put brush in hot bowl of water, shower, work up a lather and apply then shave with a new double edge razor, apply clubman, no irritation and as close of a shave as i have ever had.

Andy

KCSO
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
I still have and use occasionally Granddads shaving kit. A nice mirror on a stand, the Gilette razor and the Little Gem double edge razor blade sharpener. I can remember as a kid putting in the blades for Gramps and turning the handle 100 times to sharpen the blades. When they really got dull he would hone them first in a glass. I don't use this outfit too much because I learned to use a straight razor when I got to be a mountain man and if I run out of bics I just stop up and go to work.

C.F.Plinker
02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Around here you can get the Pinaud Clubman at most of the Walgreens. They also have the VanderHagen Deluxe Soap as well as their boar brush. Target has the Shea Moisture Badger Brush which I like better than the VanderHagen but not much more in the way of soaps. Wal-Mart varies in what they have from store to store. Generally some, but not all, of the VanderHagen products and the Shea Brush. If you want to try a brush and soap look for the VanderHagen set which has the brush, soap, and a bowl for about $10 at Wal-Mart or Walgreens.

gnoahhh
02-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I learned to shave 46 years ago with my old man's Gillette safety razor. I went out and found one of my own maybe 40 years ago, and use it to this day. Blades found in the local drug stores are junk, so I buy them on line. I still prefer Wilkinson Sword blades.

Now, I grew a beard in 1970, and haven't shaved it off since. But I need to shave my cheeks and neck, so I still shave every day. I have never used soap lather on the whiskers, I just step out of the shower and while the whiskers are still soft from that, grab the razor and zip-zip I'm done. I keep the beard neat and short by trimming it three times a week with electric clippers. As far as what it looks like, picture the "stay thirsty my friends" guy on the Dos Equis beer commercials!