PDA

View Full Version : What you can achieve with CB's that fit your rifle & milsurp powder

Maven
07-24-2007, 04:17 PM
As these targets have been sitting on my desk for the last 6 weeks and since I've just about mastered how to attach photos to my posts, I thought you might want to see how well CB's can perform with an "inappropriate" or "BI" (Ballistically Incorrect) milsurp powder, namely WC 820. The CB's were RG-4's, sized to .311" and seated long and a CBE number that looks almost the same as the one Jeff in NZ is using for his .303 wildcat, but with a blunter nose. It too was sized to .311" and seated long. Neither CB was sorted by cavity or weight (the RG-4 mold has 2 cavs., the CBE 1). Both weigh ~195gr. and are gas-check designs. The powder charge was 18.5gr. WC 820*, ignited by Win. LR primers. The rifle is a Mod. 70 Win. "Westerner" (blind mag.) with a 22" bbl. While you can use more powder, I don't recommend it as the recoil is a bit stout in a light rifle and it isn't really needed to punch paper. The targets were fired at 50yds. because our 100yd. range is being rebuilt. The project, which began in mid-April, is nearing completion, I'm happy to say. As is often the case, there are a few flyers to keep me humble!

Blammer
07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
nice shooting!

Shiloh
07-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Again Maven, Good Stuff !!:Fire:

Shiloh :castmine:

Buckshot
07-25-2007, 01:28 AM
..............With a burn rate similar to AA9 (I'm assuming your lot is) I'm not surprised. WC820's only possible negative vs AA9 is maybe a heavier deterant. AA9 is a very popular powder for the schuetzen guys.

I would use a lot more of it if it wasn't such a PITA to run through my measures. It's as fine as dust and after not too many throws the drums start getting bound up. That's some pretty good shooting too, BTW. If your rifle is scoped, what do they do at 100 yards?

Wish I had time for some experimental reloading :-) Heck, or even casting!

..............Buckshot

Maven
07-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Rick, The beauty of WC 820 (mine is AA #9) is that you can use a pistol powder measure (not the Lee Auto Disk though) to throw your charges; i.e., assuming you have a rotor that will drop the charge (velocity) you desire*. As for the RG-4 & CBE (I think it is #313-195.), they should do almost as well @ 100yds. I done almost as well at that range with Ly. #311291 & Lee C309-180R run through a Hanned tapering die: It expands the noses to .302" and bases to .3095" and makes them look like a truncated cone (with a small meplat) version of the RG-4, but lighter in wt.

All, I didn't post those targets to boast or gloat, but merely to see whether I could learn how to do so and to respond to 44man who gently chided us for not showing our results.

*When I tried to work up Blue Dot loads for the new Lee .30cal. group buy mold, I could find a rotor that would drop a suitable charge. I then resorted to using a powder measure and scale to get 14gr. (which I've since dropped to 13.3 and 12.6grs.). What a PITA! After not having measured & weighed powder for quite some time, I found it to be a tedious chore.

Ricochet
07-25-2007, 12:17 PM
It measures very consistently in a Lee dipper. 1.3cc, struck off level with a kife blade, is just about 19 grains of my batch.

Leftoverdj
07-25-2007, 03:35 PM
WC 820 works fine in my RCBS measure, and acceptably in my Lee AutoDisks. Adding the upgrade kits to the AutoDisks made a big difference because I can adjust tightness. They still leak a little, but not so much I can't live with it.

One of my AutoDisks has been modified to operate manually which helps, as does the adjustable disk.