PDA

View Full Version : Grandma & Grandpa

Revolver
02-09-2013, 09:53 AM
I flew back to my childhood home, Albuquerque, because my grandma passed away recently. My grandpa, a WWII vet was buried at the National Cemetery in Santa Fe back in the 80's which I was too young to remember. Yesterday we had a small graveside service there for Grandma and I got to see my grandfathers grave site. I don't really remember much about him other than he had no legs and he always sat at a desk in the living room in a wheelchair carving things. My grandma always told me I often managed to get an old whip that was hanging on the wall and harass my grandpa with it when I was little, he would have to get her to come take it from me. Like I said, I don't remember gramps too much but Grandma was always very good to me and she will be missed.

My uncle started looting grandmas house shortly after she went into a nursing home but the one thing I did find still there was that whip, which I took.

Hardcast416taylor
02-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Sometimes it`s the insignificant things that hold the most memories. Had a similar looting happen to my brothers place.Robert

Cactus Farmer
02-09-2013, 01:12 PM
After a funeral it seems there are always U-hauls lined up to take away their plunder. It happened to my parents and they are still alive!
A friends dad just passed and an uncle took ALL the appliances in said U-haul. What "alpha hotels" will do to their dead relatives......

DCP
02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
That whip is priceless.

Just like my WW1 trench bugle, as kids we went to grandpa's shop and would drive him nuts blowing on it.
I learned to play taps and a few more, if he heard me play it now, it would still drive him nuts lol

As I sit here typing, it sits in a honored place on my mantel. I can see it, even with the tears in my eyes
He has been gone 17 years now. the bugle and I have a date Feb 14, Grandma will be gone 1 year that day

She made 100 years (what a woman) she couldn't hear all that well, but she sure could here that old man open a beer.

I can still hear her "Al you in the beer again" all day longgggggggggggg lol

Think I will have some beers the Feb 14:drinks:

gandydancer
02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
I never knew my grandpa he died before I was born. grandma was mean as a snake. swore like a dock worker.born in 1880 died(i think she's dead) in 1976. and i still will not go to her grave site. all I can think off is the movie CARRIE. You know the hands coming up out of the grave and grabbing me by the ankles. Burrrrrrrrr.

DCP
02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Well its still a memory [smilie=1:
so :drinks:

I never knew my grandpa he died before I was born. grandma was mean as a snake. swore like a dock worker.born in 1880 died(i think she's dead) in 1976. and i still will not go to her grave site. all I can think off is the movie CARRIE. You know the hands coming up out of the grave and grabbing me by the ankles. Burrrrrrrrr.

Echo
02-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I am fortunate to have known all my grandparents, and 3 of my Great grandmothers. GGM Sanford lived in a sod house on the Kansas prairie, tending house for her father, who was an itinerant doctor/minister who drove a buggy around tending to those who needed his ministrations. GGM Smith came west in a covered wagon from Tennessee to settle in N Texas. Lots of memories there - I hope we can all pass on those kinds of memories to those who follow...

oldgeezershooter
02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
I have a nice model 64 Winchester 30WCF that I killed my first deer with,my Grandad bought it new and left it to me when he passed. I later got his Remington 721 in .270 from a nephew who needed money.

popper
02-09-2013, 04:20 PM
sod house on the Kansas prairie - mine too, Cherokee county. Lots of GM's memories, a few from GD's, they were always working. They may take our stuff but they can't take the memories.

Fishman
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Regarding the looting, every family has one, sometimes a lot more.

runfiverun
02-09-2013, 05:16 PM
i am always amazed at how badly people want stuff they didn't buy,don't need,or really want.

i have seen knock down, hair pulling, full on fist fights over a china set i seen the twin of in a thrift store for 25 dollars two day's earlier.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Here's my "whip"
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1971+olds+delta+88+images&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&rlz=1R2TSHB_enUS335&biw=1004&bih=476&tbm=isch&tbnid=dswuXJ1Oo5VnSM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/groups/71-76olds/pool/page2/%3Fview%3Dlg&docid=r7k42TdbRv_nxM&imgurl=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8031/8003822679_c469536350_z.jpg&w=550&h=400&ei=Xb8WUcuWAcrRyAGs4YHQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=153&vpy=2&dur=3151&hovh=191&hovw=263&tx=117&ty=71&sig=108867029206129693880&page=5&tbnh=142&tbnw=196&start=52&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:63,s:0,i:279

In 1981, when I was 16, I inherited from my Grandpa, his 1971 Oldsmobile Delta-88, 455 V8...she only had 19kmi. while I borrowed this image from Google, this is nearly the same model except mine was a hardtop, ...even same dark green color.

MT Gianni
02-09-2013, 05:36 PM
I am sure that many times they don't want the item as much as they don't want anyone else to have it.

DLCTEX
02-09-2013, 07:40 PM
My side didn't get any of Grandpa's things when he passed. By the time we could drive down there it was gone. I did get his WWI dog tags from a cousin a few years ago, 55 years later. She realized her son or daughter would not appreciate them, but knew I and my sons would. He was a disabled vet. I treasure the tags as a reminder of his service.

TXGunNut
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm still trying to get rid of quite a bit of my dad's "stuff" but my secret weapon is a relative that will haul of anything if given the chance...I'm just waiting until everyone else has a chance.

dagger dog
02-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Revolver,

Hate to hear that. Cherish what you do have of your granddads,and grandmas, let the good memories fill those private thoughts, they will live forever as long as you remember ! Tactile mementos help reinforce those good memories, they cant take those memories from you !

220swiftfn
02-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Well, when my Dad's parents passed, my brother and his wife went thru their house with sticky notes like they were on fire..... I spent that time looking for an old Kodak Autographic that I have on display here, and a Mercury dime for my brother..... When my Mom's parents passed, they didn't even let me know they were blitzing the place (I figured it out later when he started telling me about some of the tools he had gotten......) "Pack of jackals" fits the family that I have left now, more's the pity.......

Dan

Wayne Smith
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I think my stepmom trumped, with our agreement. Most everything Dad had left, tools, parts, etc., went to missionaries. We already had the memories that counted. Hopefully she is still spending my inheritance.

CWME
02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Sorry for your loss Revolver.

My Sister and I had to clean out my Dad's trailer this past fall when he passed. We had a great time finding our childhood memories. If neither of us wanted an item it was either tossed or put in the donation pile. We came across a few things that we both wanted. Gauged it on the memories so to speak, if it was something that one of us did with Dad etc it went to them. In the end we know where the items are if we want to see them again. She needed a shed, I had built the shed with Dad and had a lot of great memories. But I already had my shop so I paid half of the trucking fees to get it to her house. Looks good over at her place. I wired it all back up for her and everything. Dad would be happy. She returned the favor a few months later when we had no luck selling Dad's jeep. She signed it over with no $ passing hands or expectation of getting $. It just takes some mutual respect to make these hard times a time of healing. I miss my Dad everyday, but his passing brought me closer to my Sis. I got to work with her one on one for a few weeks. I will cherish that time we spent together forever.