PDA

View Full Version : bullet samples no more !

HARRYMPOPE
02-09-2013, 01:36 AM
I generally send people samples and without asking i get postage back.I recently has about six people ask for a few and forgot to send a couple out.I got a "well it's been a month PM" form a member and i apologized and sent them the next day.I asked that the postage be sent when they arrive.I have PM'd asking if the arrived and no response.This person is active and has been posting here since.So because of him no more samples.One bad egg!

If i have forgotten to send any from a previous promise please PM and remind me.I deleted my inbox and have lost the info.

runfiverun
02-09-2013, 01:58 AM
this is NOT how we do things here.
i'm ashamed that this has had to be posted.

HARRYMPOPE
02-09-2013, 02:55 AM
me too.I have had extra postage sent as a rule so when i dont mind a freebe now and again.

starreloader
02-09-2013, 03:04 AM
I now do as you do, I no longer send out free bullet samples... I've only ever had 1 member send me the postage to cover the cost of shipping.... The last samples I shipped had a total of 100 bullets, 4 different calibers, never even got a return Thank You reply... No more sample bullets from me.

GabbyM
02-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Between that creep in the Quad cities with the AR lower and magazine deal and Been Cannon I'm out about a grand plus.
Other than that pseudo business deals I’ve had good luck with bullet swapping.
Am actually in the whole to a member right now for some Cu alloy. For this copper alloy testing.

But yes back when I was commercial casting I’d send out samples worth quite a bit just to hear static. A simple thank you would have been nice. Then there were the two guys that requested custom boolits. So I made the molds worked up the alloy to do exactly what they wished. Gave them the specs on all of it. So they started up web sights all about how smart they were then outsourced the bullets to Malaysia. Told me they found a more reliable source locally. One more life lesson learned.

Harry I’ll tell you what.
A man told me way back when I was in high Scholl. “there aren’t one in ten people worth the time to talk to.” He was a doctor and man of the world. So with that in mind you have to figure on writing off a loss once in a while.

Wal'
02-09-2013, 05:03 AM
I have always gone by that well known proverb.....if you lend or loan anything........don't expect to ever see it again.

If it's returned, count your blessing's & meet your new real friend.

Recluse
02-09-2013, 05:07 AM
I generally send people samples and without asking i get postage back.I recently has about six people ask for a few and forgot to send a couple out.I got a "well it's been a month PM" form a member and i apologized and sent them the next day.I asked that the postage be sent when they arrive.I have PM'd asking if the arrived and no response.This person is active and has been posting here since.So because of him no more samples.One bad egg!

You need to PM Ken or Steve (Fishhawk) about this member. To me, someone who raises hell about not getting something for FREE in a time frame to his liking, then doesn't have the courtesy to even offer to remit postage, and then ignores all communications with you and all while still posting actively here is one sorry scumbag and qualifies as a DEADBEAT.

We have a whole little forum dedicated to calling out those folks and if they don't make right, then they're shown the door.

Quite honestly, this is the kind of member that NEEDS to be shown the door because. . .

this is NOT how we do things here.
i'm ashamed that this has had to be posted.

Damn right this isn't how we do things. This member needs to get some counseling from Ken and be shown the error of his ways and if he still don't get it then, shown the door.

:coffee:

Olevern
02-09-2013, 07:53 AM
You need to PM Ken or Steve (Fishhawk) about this member. To me, someone who raises hell about not getting something for FREE in a time frame to his liking, then doesn't have the courtesy to even offer to remit postage, and then ignores all communications with you and all while still posting actively here is one sorry scumbag and qualifies as a DEADBEAT.

We have a whole little forum dedicated to calling out those folks and if they don't make right, then they're shown the door.

Quite honestly, this is the kind of member that NEEDS to be shown the door because. . .

Damn right this isn't how we do things. This member needs to get some counseling from Ken and be shown the error of his ways and if he still don't get it then, shown the door.

:coffee:

Yup; what he said!

DABULLMAN
02-09-2013, 09:13 AM
ill take care of a few postage's HARRYSPOPE as a PIF for some bad eggs..i to have gotten sample boolits from members here and they dont even ask for the postage. i have learned alot. boolit samples are awsome to get. u try them, u like them, then u look for the mold....Happy shooting. send me mailing info ill get it out ASAP

DABULLMAN

Triggernosis
02-09-2013, 10:46 AM
This member needs to get some counseling from Ken and be shown the error of his ways and if he still don't get it then, shown the door.

Unfortunately "counseling" those types of people is pretty much useless - it's like talking to a left-wing liberal about the 2nd amendment.

FWIW, I'm new around here (but not to the 'net forums and I use the same username on all of them) and I've already had a member (thanks, rintinglen) send me some free samples to try. AND he was promptly reimbursed for shipping and I've corresponded with him thanking him and we've chatted about load recommendations. Soooooo, there are some stand-up folks around and I hope that our actions can cancel out those of the deadbeats.

elk hunter
02-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I too have sent out bullets and other things without so much as a "Thank You", and I will continue to send things as I consider the vast majority of the folks here to be among the best. Those few that aren't quite so considerate I can overlook as many here have done kind things for me that make me feel well rewarded for my little effort.

x101airborne
02-09-2013, 03:01 PM
I send out lots of samples and trade for boolits also. I have forgotten to say thanks, and I have been slow sometimes getting the return boolits out. I am as guity as anyone. And I have loaned out equipment and molds, and dies. If you are doing it out of charity, dont let one person ruin your charitable spirit.

I have ABSOLUTELY no right to counsel anyone, heck, I can barely manage my own life I dang sure cant tell anyone else what they need to do, but I would just relax, have a cup of coffee, and understand that because you didn't get it repaid this time doesn't mean that you wont make it back later down the road.

And, too, that is why I dont ask for or expect anything for what I send people. I do it out of the kindness of my heart expecting nothing in return.

joec
02-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I've noticed a number of bullet makers that are on line have a set rate for a sample pack that you pay for first buy what ever means they accept. I've had no problem from the few I've actually bought samples from including 25 pc 45-70 pack as well as 50 round each of 45 Colt in 250 gr and 200 gr. I've also picked up sample packs from Delta Precision for 45 ACP and 9mm also charged up front with them being 100 round count each. I don't have the means to make my own but do buy often and have never had a problem paying for sample packs.

Fishman
02-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Well said airborne. If I offer free stuff, I don't expect anything in return. I have been pleasantly surprised by more than one person and I've felt good about helping the others. One thing I've decided is to only make offers for free stuff via PM. Otherwise you get a bunch of requests from people when you only wanted to help out the original poster. Also, it's prudent to take a moment or two and check their past posting history. That will tell you a lot about someone.

As a result I have no ill will toward anyone on this forum. I have been told more than once by a close friend that I am too generous, so I have to watch myself. Don't let a bad apple ruin that good feeling you enjoy when you know you helped someone out. Just be more careful.

runfiverun
02-09-2013, 05:40 PM
i'm sure we have all sent out things to someone that needed it or just asked for a small sample without compensation. [just because it's only a couple of bucks and isn't worth dealing with]
not a big deal.
i have offered several times and been turned down or taken up on it.
i'm cool with that.
i just got a few pieces of brass [and another package] recently,so i can try something in a rifle.
i wanted to pay shipping and the package come without a return address.

i just hate to see someones generosity taken advantage of.

**oneshot**
02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Sorry to hear that happened.

captaint
02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I, too have sent boolits, courtesy of me. Can't say I expected in return. Well, OK, I did expect " hey, I got the boolits, thanks". Didn't get that though. That's just lousy manners. Period. This sucks. AND I don't blame you guys... MIke

montana_charlie
02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Actually, reading this thread has made me regret something.

I have sent small quantities of bullets, brass, or other things that filled some casual need ... and passed on offers to compensate me for postage.
But, several years ago, a guy sent me some bullets to try.

They were big 545 grain jobs, beautifully cast, and it was a full box of fifty in styrofoam with individual holes.
I had not asked for any bullets, but he offered them during a discussion about that particular design.

I thanked him, of course, but I never even thought to offer money for postage.
It's an oversight that I now regret.

CM

TXGunNut
02-09-2013, 07:24 PM
I think samples are a great way to figure out if something will work for us and I think postage or a nominal fee is a bargain if it's something I want to try. I generally just jump in and buy the mould or whatever but it's nice to know there are other options. If someone needs something I have little or no use for I'll offer it to them just to see it put to good use. I'm glad folks here are willing to send boolit and other samples and if I have them available they're just a PM and PO trip away. I feel that's a benefit of this forum but like any benefit there's a potential for abuse.

cbrick
02-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Many times I've sent boolits to many members here, never even occured to me to ask for postage and never has it been offered. Mostly never hear from them again and that is a bit annoying, sometimes I'll send a PM and ask if they got them, mostly not.

Guess I'm guilty also, I have recieved boolits a couple of times and postage wasn't asked for and it never occured to me to offer it.

Guess I just looked at it as helping someone try a new boolit and left it at that.

Rick

geargnasher
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I've sent out lots of little things to members here, and had quite a few offer up a piece of this or that to help me check fit or solve a problem without having to pony-up for a new box of cartridges or a mould that I'm not sure about, it's been great. More recently a member sent me an Unobtanium die set for nothing because I forgot I needed one until the panic buying was in full-swing, the generosity here is amazing. I never expect postage reimbursement if I offer something because it's usually not worth the trouble, but at the same time if I'm giving away something worth more than a few bucks I ask for a five dollar bill for the FRB or something when I make the offer. Never been burned yet, but I expect it will happen and that's ok, sooner or later a rotten egg will show up.

I'd ask everyone reading this that if you have expectations beyond gratitude, please make them known, don't assume. If you want your three or five bucks back, just ask when you offer, no problemo.

Gear

geargnasher
02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey Rick, I was thinking of you a couple days ago, I lubed and loaded a few of those boolits you sent me, but it's raining this weekend and I haven't gotten to shoot them yet, but when I do you'll be the second to know! My FIL just got an Uberti SAA convertible and I put together some loads from him and me both last few evenings.

Gear

SlippShodd
02-09-2013, 08:09 PM
A friend of mine has a policy on lending money. He says if you give somebody 20 bucks and never see them again, it was probably a bargain.
This place is rife with the kindness of strangers; I witness it every day. I'm most likely to hold court with Gear: I'm always willing to share my toys with others, either without compensation or just enough to cover if it's more than a trifle. I always try to be gracious and grateful and offer to compensate for what I may ask. I expect no more or less from others. It's how I've tried to live my life. There have been a few nits along the way, but, so far, so good.

mike

Bullwolf
02-09-2013, 10:59 PM
I have only sent out samples of boolits to forum members here a couple of times. The recipients have always offered to pay the postage. I covered the postage for them, as it's only a few bucks for me to use a flat rate box. However, I appreciate that they offered in the first place. If I sent out a large amount of samples - as I am sure some of you guys here do, it would likely add up pretty quickly.

We typically have a the best kind of people here. It has spoiled me to the point where I can barely read any other forums with all the nastiness, and personal attacks. We may occasionally get a bad egg from time to time, but our Moderators tend to take care of the problem children.

For the other rare bad examples, we simply self police ourselves. I am truly sorry to hear you had trouble with another Cast Boolit forum member. Try to remember that it's the rare exception here, rather than the rule.

You guys are a great bunch, and I really enjoy the time that I spend here.

- Bullwolf

xs11jack
02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I am sorta new here, and about two weeks ago I asked about a certain Lee mould. One of the responders was Dusty Bannister... then he PM'ed me asked if I would like a sample of two other boolits from Lee moulds, I said yes, I would pay for them and postage, he said postage would be good. Holy Cow, a package with about 250 or more, boolits showed up. That man is a prince among men. I can't say enough how good he is. Because he is!!
Jack

Ramar
02-10-2013, 07:38 AM
I liked buying a 100 test boolits from Dan when he had his website going. I'd get my needed Nasa lube and try some new boolits from his vast selection. I was able to figure out which moulds I wanted to buy and really see what what good casting is. I'd rather buy; less chance of hard feeling and misunderstandings. I also like working for free, no chance of being under paid or insulted....

Ramar