PDA

View Full Version : Top Punch and Sizing Die Sizes

M&PManiac
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
ALL

Need your help on this. I have several questions regarding Lee Molds:

I want to load 44 Mag 240 SWC Keith Bullets and shoot it out of my S&W 44 mag snubbie and my 44 Mag Marlin Lever Gun. Should I get the .429 or .430 diameter molds??
Depending on which mold I choose (429 vs 430) Am I correct in assuming that I need the 429 sizing die for the 429 mold or am I wrong?
What are your thoughts on the quality of the Lee 6 cavity molds vs others out there? I want to a quality product
What lube would you recommend for shooting 357 and 44 mag ammo in Marlin Lever guns?

Your assistance with my noob questions is most appreciated!!

nhrifle
02-09-2013, 12:48 AM
First things first, welcome aboard!

Actually, first thing is you need to know the bore diameter, which means slugging the bore with a soft lead ball and measuring with a micrometer (calipers aren't accurate enough). Sizing of the boolit will depend upon that measurement, as you want the boolit to be larger than the bore by atleast a thou or two or you will experience leading a poor accuracy. Once you get your measurement, someone on here can guide you in the right direction. If I had to guess without bore data, I would go with the larger mould. Of course, you could try some commercially cast boolits, see how they shoot and the level of leading they leave. When you find one that is acceptable, measure it and choose your mould and sizing die accordingly.

You don't have to buy a sizing die according to as cast size. I often will use a die that is slightly larger than my boolit so the grooves get filled with lube but the boolit isn't sized much, if at all, to leave it as large as possible.

Lee 6 cavity moulds are excellent quality, and you can crank out quite a pile in short order, just be sure to run your melt and mould hot to get good fill of the cavities.

The lube I am currently using is Lyman's Super Moly. Works great and I have had no leading and excellent accuracy. Works in every rifle and pistol round I have tried. You may want to check the lube threads, especially the stickies, as there are some great recipies there that you can cook at home. As time permits I am going to try most of them.