PDA

View Full Version : Great Forum Here

76Highboy
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
I just wanted to tell you guys that this is a great forum and I find it to be exciting. A ton of helpful information and about every topic a guy needs. WOW!!! I know my way around firearms pretty good but over the next few months I will be aquiring my lead casting E.Q. ( I have about 400+ pounds of wheel weight lead and I am ready to dive in). There will be a bit of learning on the lead casting so this forum will be a great help. So far, I like the guys on thism forum so I will be sitting back and humbly learning.
Also, what casting manuals do you old plo's recommend for starting. The good? The bad? Also, if anyone who wants, a basic starting list. I want to start out casting 44 cal. 240 LSWC. So starting from scratch, I am stsrting my list. Guess where my taxes return is going along with brass, powder, and primers. :-D
Have a great day everybody,
Jim

P.K.
02-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits!

For your reading enjoyment might I suggest Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition and the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition.

Larry Gibson
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the forum and to casting. I second the suggestion to get the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook and #49 manual. Also check in the used book stores and other places for a #3 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. They are the basic "primers" for learning how to cast bullets. Other books and articles are also available but the Lyman's give you the basics down and dirty and you will constantly refer to them. They also have the most extesive load data. Then with a little basic information under your belt as you cast and run into specific situations you can ask here and get a lot of well qualified help. Again, welcome.

Larry Gibson

cbrick
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Welcome to castBoolits Highboy,

Here is some great reading and it's free.

From Ingot to Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Rick

Doc Highwall
02-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits!
The posts above are spot on, I hope you have a good pair of reading glasses.

WILCO
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits!
The posts above are spot on, I hope you have a good pair of reading glasses.

+1 and a ditto for me!

Blacksmith
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Welcome aboard Highboy. Here is another current newbie thread that may help you:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?183052-Help-a-newbie

Also look up the Classics & Stickies section and the stickies at the start of each individual section you will find most questions have been answered. You can yse the search function to help find what you need. Here is the Classics and Stickies section: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Classics-amp-Stickies

76Highboy
02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
OK guys, your all great. I was getting ready to order the Lyman #4 so that is great. As for the reading glasses I just started wearing them and it sounds like you good old boys are going to help me break them in. Yep, I'm in the right place.

Thanks guys.
Jim

David2011
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Welcome aboard, Jim!

David

MtGun44
02-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Welcome!

The stickies will provide a real wealth of information, in addition the books that
were recommended.

Bill