PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a more efficient lead smelting pot

truckjohn
07-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey all

In my other post about smelting down range lead, I have come to the conclusion that I need a more "Cost Effective" setup for pure lead smelting from dirty ore (Wheel weights, range lead, and other assorted goodies that contain lead)

I am not talking about a nice pot for casting -- as my Lee Pro 4-20 does the duty pretty well for me.

I tried the Propane Turkey Fryer + $10.00 dutch oven.
Pro's: Low startup cost.
Heavy duty stand
Decent safety from "Pops" in the pot.

Con's: High propane use and cost.
No insulation -- a simple insulated pot skirt and insulating cover may cut gas use by 50-60%
Looses tons of heat to "atmosphere"
Gotta buy the gas....

So... has anyone out there fooled with "Wood Gas" stoves for lead smelting? I have almost an infinite supply of wood, but really want to find something that will do the job without wasting *all* my time -- as "Campfire" cooking exemplifies the term "A Watched Pot Never Boils"

How about making a "Furnace" around the turkey fryer base out of fire brick/refractory that shrouds both the flame and dutch oven?

Thanks for the help.

John

ANeat
07-23-2007, 09:17 PM
John I use fire brick and a steel shroud around my dutch oven. That along with a lid really helps. I can generally do 1000 plus pounds on a 20lb bottle of propane.

What I would really like to have is about a 100 to 150 pound pot, insulated and electric, with a bottom pour and a rack or shelf to sit the ingot molds on.
Thermostatic control of course, just to use for smelting. It would be nice to fill up with WW, not worry about it getting to hot, with the bottom pour not have to worry about dipping it out or pouring the last 10 or 15 pounds of alloy out that you cant get with the dipper.

Sounds Ideal but Ive only smelted any large quanities a few times over the last couple of years and it would be tough to justify anything to elabaroate.

Seems like getting some insulation or even a simple metal ring around the pot like you mentioned would probably help a lot.

Blammer
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
try a woodstove freestanding outside.

truckjohn
07-23-2007, 10:34 PM
John I use fire brick and a steel shroud around my dutch oven. That along with a lid really helps. I can generally do 1000 plus pounds on a 20lb bottle of propane.

What I would really like to have is about a 100 to 150 pound pot, insulated and electric, with a bottom pour and a rack or shelf to sit the ingot molds on.
Thermostatic control of course, just to use for smelting. It would be nice to fill up with WW, not worry about it getting to hot, with the bottom pour not have to worry about dipping it out or pouring the last 10 or 15 pounds of alloy out that you cant get with the dipper.

Seems like getting some insulation or even a simple metal ring around the pot like you mentioned would probably help a lot.

Sounds like insulation/pot skirt is the best idea. Do you use a refractory cover over the pot along with the cast iron lid?

If I can figure out a workable solution (that is not more expensive than propane)... I would like to work with some sort of wood burning aparatus. I have been exploring "Gassifying Wood" ideas, but haven't tried any yet.... as I have a very large wood supply available.

On the bottom pour "Ore smelter" pot -- I would advise caution.
We use a low volume (10,000 lbs) pot to separate dross from lead at work
The bottom pour valve is the #1 cause of trouble -- as any dross destroys even highest quality hard stainless and stellite valves.... They either gall up and stick open/shut, freeze off shut, and/or wear out and drip. I think we have gone through 50 redesigns of heated valves, different packing and seals, etc.... they all fail when you try to close them on dross and trash.

The crucible pot has a giant advantage for smelting "Ore" that contains large quantities of stuff that would foul and destroy your expensive valves -- No moving parts.

Best regards

John

ANeat
07-24-2007, 07:53 PM
John I just use the lid that came with the dutch oven. I think even a metal ring is a huge improvement. Before using a ring I would always have one side of the pot that was cooler than the rest and always seemed to have lead hardening up on it if was sitting for a few minutes. I imagine just the breeze blowing was creating a cool spot. With the ring around the pot it seems like it has 2 advantages. Shielding from the surrounding breeze and also seems to create a bit of a venturi effect drawing the flame and heat up around the pot.

Adam