PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys I shot my first cast today -Thanks to all your help!

JWFilips
02-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Hi Folks,
I really have to thank everyone here for all the help!
Today I didn't have to go in to work until the afternoon so I took a chance ( with a 19 degree morning temps) to head to the range & try out My first cast bullets from my Lee 6 cavity .358 TL boolit mold. I shot the unsized ( at .360") lubed with LLA in my Pre-27 model S&W with .359 throats My alloy mix of wheel weights and some 50/50 solder and a bit of pure tin came in as best I can figure by the calculator & pencil test at 12/13 bhn I only had 50 rounds loaded & they were loaded "long" to near touch the throats. With 4.8 grain Bullseye I was able to tear out my 1.125" bull at 20yds off the benchrest ( not hand held for testing purposes) This was to be a light target load.

low smoke & no leading ( in a gun that has always leaded) Nice clean brass Just What I set out to do! You guys on this forum are great! Without your guidance & Help I would not have reached such a high goal on my first attempt .

Thank you for being so patient with me through all the questions & concerns, I have had in "All" my different postings. Somehow I feel I have made a transition into the realm of "boolit caster" even tough I know it is on the lowest level. But you all here on this forum have helpd me make the step up so maybe some day I will be able to contribute info to the new casters on this forum, Just as you all have helped me
Thank You all!
Jim

runfiverun
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
couple of more successes and you'll be opinionated too. :lol:
feels good don't it.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-07-2013, 11:07 PM
I shot my first cast last week and also had no leading in 9mm and 45acp with very positive results because of the help here.
Steve

JWFilips
02-07-2013, 11:19 PM
couple of more successes and you'll be opinionated too. :lol:
feels good don't it.

runfiverun...thank you for all your help I won't forget any of the folks that helped me get started!

crawfobj
02-07-2013, 11:25 PM
runfiverun...thank you for all your help I won't forget any of the folks that helped me get started!

These guys are what you call "enablers." Careful - they're feeding your addiction. Stay away from the group buy section - it's downright dangerous!

Hounddog
02-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Welcome to the madness. Now you're gonna be sketching up plans for a boolit trap and scouring parkinglots and intersections for wheelweights. Good luck.

Grendel99
02-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Welcome to the madness. Now you're gonna be sketching up plans for a boolit trap and scouring parkinglots and intersections for wheelweights. Good luck.

Oooh, I never thought about looking in parking lots...

Jal5
02-08-2013, 12:22 AM
This time of year in the cold climates look carefully at roads with big potholes!

Bullwolf
02-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Don't forget to check past speed bumps.

- Bullwolf

44man
02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Warms my heat to see a happy caster!
But I think in my whole old life, I have only found 2 WW's on the ground. :coffee:

JWFilips
02-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi Guys,
I took a pic of my first target I shot with my first casts! I just got a chance to get it up today:

The bullseye was a black 1 1/8" center Shot at 20 yards: My first six hits just below, My second six shots (After sight & Mental adjustment are in the 1 1/8" black bull at 20 yards ! ( off a rest mind you { Midway's Pistolero }, no way I could do this off hand!) ( also no way I could done this without all of your help!!!)

Specs were: S&W Pre-27 with .359" throats, As Cast (no sizing), Measured .360" lee 158 -TC BHN 12/13 (Forums BHN Calculator & Lead Pencil Test), Lubed with LLA as it comes from the bottle, 4.8 grain Bullseye, Mixed Brass head stamp (PMC & CCI) , CCI 500 primers
Well I'm excited at what the Boolit Casting world has done for me !:-D

**oneshot**
02-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Looks good Jim. I guess I don't have to get those boolits to ya to try.

Cherokee
02-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Very good Jim, it is exciting to shoot your own cast boolits, a certain feeling of self sufficiency and accomplishment. Great target.