PDA

View Full Version : Anyone deal with gunstop?

drklynoon
02-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I was perambulating around a few sites recently and stumbled on gunstop and they had the a set of dies that I have been wanting. Unfortunately I had already backordered them through midway but I thought what they hey I'll give them a call and see if they have the shell plate as well. They didn't have it listed on the site but they did say to call because not everything was listed. So, I called and the nice receptionist transferred me to the reloading guy and wow was he a jerk. I know they are busy but he was really short with me and after he demanded to know what I was wanting he would just say "not in stock" before I could even finish telling him what I was saying. I then told him that it was listed as in stock on the web site and He promptly told me " the only advice I can give you is to go to the site then and order whatever you want and leave it at that." I'm really polite on the phone and wasn't giving the guy a hard time or anything, needless to say I am not ordering through them unless this is some kind of aberration and they are normally super cool. Has anyone dealt with these people on the phone? If so are they always so durn rude?

M-Tecs
02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
The Gunstop is pretty much a one man show. John is a good guy but he is in the same boat as everyone else. Last time I was out there it was thirty people deep in the shop and the phone ringing off the hook with everyone looking for stuff that no one has in stock. No excuse to be rude but stating thousands of times that you don’t have it and you don’t know when you can get it would make most people short. I am sure he is more frustrated with the situation than anyone.

Ron Williams
02-07-2013, 10:58 PM
If this is the gunstop in Minnetonka MN. I've dealt face to face with John for years and he's always been courteous and helpful. I have never done business with him over the phone.
I was tempted to stop in there Wednesday just to see how the inventory was but I didn't.

Ron

drklynoon
02-07-2013, 10:58 PM
That is what I was wondering. At first I only asked about the shellplate but he seemed to want to take my order but was too busy to do so. It was strange. I try to give people a fair shake that is why I asked the question. Normally I don't call if the site doesn't have it listed but the way they made it appear on the site was that they didn't have everything listed so I figured why not lol. My fault, I know how backed up these guys are. Thanks for the info M-Tecs.

badge176
02-07-2013, 11:41 PM
I've been going in to the shop for years; third location as I recal. John can have his moods, I'll give you that and he's never afraid to express his opinion, but overall he's a good guy to deal with. In the late summer he brings in excess garden produce and has a box up front so customers can take what they like- I made some wicked good Borscht from beets he had! Just considering the number of panicked question I have gotten myself about "hey, you're a gun guy, do you know where I can get...? I can only imagine the volume of call/ emails he's been getting looking for what everybody is already sold out of. And of that multitude of contacts, its safe to assume a fair number of folks ask stupid questions or somehow blame John for not having what they want...

I go there at least once a month to see what's new or consider some odd load I've come a crossed...

mmmatt
02-08-2013, 09:12 AM
I've been a customer of John's for 30+ years. I bought all my reloading and casting equipment from him. He is the only shop in town that I'm aware of that has casting eqiupment on the shelf. He has his days but then so do
I. I never ask price and he is always fair and he takes care of his good customers. Small retail can be a nightmare when supply is short so if John's having a tough day I just give him space.
Thanks/Matt