PDA

View Full Version : This just ain't right...

scottiemom
02-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I think things have gone a bit too far (as if they haven't already) - I read this a few minutes ago:

Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) has just declared that children should no longer be allowed to blow out candles on birthday cakes at parties. The official guidelines state:

‘To prevent the spread of germs when the child blows out the candles, parents should either provide a separate cupcake, with a candle if they wish, for the birthday child.’

What's next? No goodnight kisses??

Sheesh

Gliden07
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
This kind of stuff is getting out of hand!! And they wonder why families break down!! "MOMMY NEVER SHOWED ME ANY LOVE!!! AND I NEVER GOT TO BLOW OUT BIRTHDAY CANDLES!!!!"

Ed Barrett
02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Do the "Birthday Police" come to all the parties? I would just keep doing what has always been done and wait until these bozos get booted out of office. I thought people were smarter than that in Oz.

cbrick
02-07-2013, 08:28 PM
This kind of stuff is getting out of hand!!

It's been out of hand for years now, it's like chopping down a tree by hand. They started out on a mighty oak with a small hatchet, chip, chip, chip.

A few years later they moved up to a larger hatchet still working on the same tree. Chip, chip, chip.

Then a double edged ax and larger chips. Chip after chip.

They are now up to a huge Paul Bunyan ax and there is very little left holding the mighty oak up.

Rick

wv109323
02-07-2013, 08:41 PM
A well thought out decision by a board which work for the Government. I wonder if they were in a germ free environment when they made this decision. Meetings are a good place to pick up germs.

Houndog
02-07-2013, 08:57 PM
That bunch of yo yo's would have a coronary if they saw how I grew up! Play ball in a cowpasture, get water out of a creek, play in the mud in the cowpasture, several kids drinking out of the same dipper or cup and if one kid got a childhood disease, every mom in the community brought their kid to "play" ( Think Measles , mumps, chickenpox, ETC) We were FAR more healthy than today's kids, even with all the super super sanatation and wonder drugs.

Gliden07
02-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Two words "Bubble Wrap"!!

savingprivateyang
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Oh man!!... You've got to be ---> :kidding:

Mk42gunner
02-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Gee when we were kids if one of us had a birthday the candles got relit for each kid to blow them out (me, my brother and two cousins). Cow pasture baseball brings a whole new meaning to "Don't slide into first."

Robert

Hardcast416taylor
02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
When my niece brought out my cake with candles yesterday I darn near got 2nd degree burns from the conflageration going on with the candles! They had 3 boxes of candles going on it. Took 3 of us to get them all out.Robert

Norbrat
02-08-2013, 01:13 AM
As an Aussie, I am just so pleased the govt is spending my tax dollars so wisely!! :roll:

David2011
02-08-2013, 01:14 AM
That bunch of yo yo's would have a coronary if they saw how I grew up! Play ball in a cowpasture, get water out of a creek, play in the mud in the cowpasture, several kids drinking out of the same dipper or cup and if one kid got a childhood disease, every mom in the community brought their kid to "play" ( Think Measles , mumps, chickenpox, ETC) We were FAR more healthy than today's kids, even with all the super super sanatation and wonder drugs.

No doubt a bunch of us on this board lived through all of that.

David

Wal'
02-08-2013, 09:03 AM
As an Aussie, I am just so pleased the govt is spending my tax dollars so wisely!! :roll:

September election gets closer each day..............out they go!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty's Retired
02-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Cow pasture baseball brings a whole new meaning to "Don't slide into first."

Robert

What about dried cow patty frisbies? Flung a many of them.

Ron
02-09-2013, 03:06 AM
See folks you are not the only ones with fools in places of influence; here in Australia we have plenty of them Down Under
I was brought up in the slums of the Gorbals in Glasgow, Scotland. Our play ground was a converted cemetery they just knocked over the marker stones and put in some swings. As kids by brothers and I played in some of the dirties places you could imagine and we rarely got sick because our imune system got plenty of contact with whatever bugs we were associating with at the time. None of mother yelling at us to go and wash because we were dirty unless we were about to sit down at the table to eat then we had to have clean hands. The other thing was we had a bath once a week if we were lucky, didn't cause us any problems.

geargnasher
02-09-2013, 03:59 AM
Something I've noticed about my profession as a mechanic: We rarely get sick with colds, flu, stomach viruses, etc. I attribute a lot of that to strong immunity built from rolling around in filthy floorboards, digging behind dashboards, all the horrid stuff people store in their trunks and gloveboxes, not to mention contact contamination from driving after everyone from a high-school girl to a "cedar hacker" to a crack-smoking OTR trucker. We handle seatbelts, shifters, steering wheels, door handles, and get to take apart and shake out the cooties from the deepest recesses of people's vehicles. Dog hair, rotten hamburger wrappers, moldy french fries, everything you walked in or touched for the last three years, yup, we're coated in it by the end of the workday. I've had a lot of things get in my mouth, eyes, and nose that you wouldn't want on the bottom of your shoe. By and large, customers vehicles are pretty gross, but it does seem to build strong immunity. School teachers, bank tellers, and health-care professionals also among those that tend to fall into this category, being exposed to large groups of people in a very up-close way.

But freakin' BIRTHDAY CANDLES??? That sounds like a bad case of needing to justify one's job description in some branch of a useless gov't agency.

Gear

sav300
02-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Gear,may I ask.What is a cedar hacker?

blackthorn
02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
If they put one candle for each year on my birthday cake I would need a CO2 extinguisher to put out the fire!!

429421Cowboy
02-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Too bad right doesn't have much to do with anything these days!

When we were kids we used to play outside everyday, going to work with ma and dad, raised around cows, horses, dogs and Lord knows what other critters, sure, stuff got on our faces, in our mouths and all over our clothes, but now that i'm 20, i am not allergic to a single thing that i know of! Kids being raised in hospital sanitary enviroments will only have problems for the rest of their lives from junk laws like this, and as Norbrat pointed out, a good use for tax money!

Smitty's Retired
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
sav300, Gear can correct me if my definition is different from his.

In the southern states, (around my area at least) Cedar Hacker or Cedar Whacker later became a derogatory term for someone who was kind of a bum or poor and unkept with little education, that was lazy and sorry.

But originally during the reconstruction years after the Civil War, when the railroads were being expanded, and foundries were being built, Cedar and Juniper trees were being used to make cedar railroad ties, bridge timbers, and for making charcoal. There were work camps for the railroads and for companies that produced the timbers and charcoal, that moved from area to area. Cedar Hackers and their families would follow these camps and gain employment chopping down cedars or working the saw mills and the burn yards for producing coal. If you ever saw pictures of some of the people who worked these camps, they were barely making an existence, and were generally dirty looking, almost like pictures of coal miners.

sav300
02-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Smitty`s Retired.Thank you.

MT Gianni
02-10-2013, 10:46 PM
In the early 80"s I along with all others living in Caribou County, Idaho got a pamphlet from USDA warning us that fresh manure on wet concrete could be slippery. It started a while back and isn't near the end yet.

Squeeze
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM

their record doesnt show brilliance in leadership as of late...[smilie=1:

Blacksmith
02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
In the early 80"s I along with all others living in Caribou County, Idaho got a pamphlet from USDA warning us that fresh manure on wet concrete could be slippery. It started a while back and isn't near the end yet.

I didn't get that notice so if I slip and fall can I sue the Department of Agriculture? I slipped on some wet chicken manure and broke my wrist once why wasn't I warned?

bob208
02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
i drank a lot of water out of a hose. also out of the creek. played in the barnyard in tennis shoes they got so bad my mon would make me leave them on the porch. did the frisbie thing also we never could get them to light.

Hardcast416taylor
02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Lets see. I was raised as a farm kid with cows, chickens and pigs. After handling their offal for the first 1/3 of my life I went into plumbing. After 35 1/2 years of having to sometimes work in the most filthy places I retired. I never came down with a death threatening affliction other than the common cold. It fell to my being retired that I started having things start to go wrong with me. I also was a reserve LEO dealing with another kind of filth. So, birthday candles are harmful to my health now?Robert

Chicken Thief
02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
George Carlin on germs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmMNdiCz_s

cbrick
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
STOP . . . Drop the birthday candle and back away and nobody gets hurt.

Rick

Chicken Thief
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Btw. I know of a firm in Denmark that does raw sewer pumping, septic tank pumping and the likes, they expect a new employee to be sick at least 1 month out of the three first when hired. Getting used to the "fumes" i guess.

Norbrat
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Back to the OT, this has been debunked as a media beat up.

This is not a law, and no childcare facility has to go along with these recommendations.

Our govt TV channel has a very good weekly program "Media Watch" where they pull apart some of the media cr@p

Transcription of the segment about the child care candle blowing out non-issue here http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3688012.htm

And you can watch episodes of the program if your connection is fast enough.

What comes across is just how bad our media really is; they've obviously taken note and learnt real well from the US media!

Houndog
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
What comes across is just how bad our media really is; they've obviously taken note and learnt real well from the US media!

NOBODY anywhere in the world, including AlJezerra and Pravda can even hold a light to the deception and outright lies we are fed daily by the liberal lame stream media! You will get more "real news" from the supermarket tabloids, and sadly the "low information voter" as Rush Limbaugh calls them swallows it all as gospel!

leadman
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
My job as a mechanic for quite awhile was repairing garbage trucks for the City of Phoenix. I think everything has been in those trucks at one time! Even dead bodies, human and otherwise.
Funniest thing I saw was when working for International Truck and a friend jacked up the cab and underwear fell out thru the shifter hole onto his head. Wasn't a good time for that to happen if you know what I mean.

MakeMineA10mm
02-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Do the "Birthday Police" come to all the parties? I would just keep doing what has always been done and wait until these bozos get booted out of office. I thought people were smarter than that in Oz.

But really what difference would that make? When is the last time you saw such a large, stupid law repealed??

Bad Water Bill
02-14-2013, 05:33 AM
I will never forget the LAST birthday party I had, (over 25 years ago) My daughter lit all 50 candles and a large BLACK CLOUD formed at the ceiling. It took about 6 of us to blow out those durned candles.

Gear I also worked in a garage for many years. Lots of customers and sick kids around, Filthy GREASY hands lots of gashes and busted knuckles but never sick and no infections.

The folks that want to live in a greenhouse environment will be the first ones to clear out of our planet.

Rooster59
02-14-2013, 05:45 AM
The proof is in the pudding. None of our generations who played in the creeks and drank from a garden hose where ever prohibited from bringing peanut butter sandwiches or Snickers bars to school. Now the schools go on full lock down if a peanut is found in the parking lot due to peanut allergies.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Bad Water Bill
02-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Reminds me of a saying my wife had.

Praise what makes you hardy.

Catch some bug as a kid when you can shrug it off in a couple days and you are IMMUNED to it for life. Catch it in later years and it might kill you.