PDA

View Full Version : Need load for cast bullet in .223

Single Shot
07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi all,

Newbie to the site. I have an old IDEAL bullet mold in .224 It cast a 50 grain bullet similar in shape to a Hornady V-Max but uses a gas check.

I am using clip on wheel weights as an alloy source. If need be , I can heat treat to a BHN of about 30.

I have a NEF VARMINT bull barrel in .223 that I would like to use this bullet in.

Any suggested loads would be helpful. I may shoot this bullet without a gas check to get a "Boat Tail" effect.

Whats your opinion, and suggestion?

Thanks.

POST UPDATE:

Found this link: http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/223cast.htm

It is a three page article on cast bullets in the .223. THE MOLD I HAVE LOOKS LIKE THE 225450 bullet pictured but is a 50 grain .224 GC

waksupi
07-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Welcome aboard. Bullshop Jr. has played with this chambering quite a bit, and am sure he will give you some info. I've shot it some, but don't have the data at hand. You will most likely want that gas check. I do know my best load was going out at about 2780 fps, and without gas checks, the barrel most likely would hav been well leaded.

beagle
07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
The 224450s would vary considerably depending on the vintage. That was was from an old unvented Ideal that I used for the article.

From my shooting, .223s shoot most accurately at velocities from 2,000 to 2,200 FPS.

They are plenty accurate for 100 yard work. If you play with a babbitt/WW mixture giving you a tough bullet, they shoot accurately up to about 2800 and that's as far as I've taken them.

Their a lot of fun and cheap to shoot especially with WC820 milsurp powder.

Hope you have good luck with yours./beagle

Hi all,

Newbie to the site. I have an old IDEAL bullet mold in .224 It cast a 50 grain bullet similar in shape to a Hornady V-Max but uses a gas check.

I am using clip on wheel weights as an alloy source. If need be , I can heat treat to a BHN of about 30.

I have a NEF VARMINT bull barrel in .223 that I would like to use this bullet in.

Any suggested loads would be helpful. I may shoot this bullet without a gas check to get a "Boat Tail" effect.

Whats your opinion, and suggestion?

Thanks.

POST UPDATE:

Found this link: http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/223cast.htm

It is a three page article on cast bullets in the .223. THE MOLD I HAVE LOOKS LIKE THE 225450 bullet pictured but is a 50 grain .224 GC

Single Shot
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys,

I just spent some time casting and inspecting bullets made from the IDEAL mold.

I added my usual weighed amount of tin to the WW alloy and then quenched cooled the bullets.

All the ones that passed inspection under magnification weighed 50.9 grains.

I will test BHN in a few days. 4348

You mentioned "WC820 milsurp powder." Who is a good source? Any load data? :castmine:

beagle
07-25-2007, 09:41 PM
WC-820 is usually available from Hi-Tec or Jeff Bartlett.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/castingfellowspage1.htm

Check this site out for data./beagle