PDA

View Full Version : Blackhorn 209

MikeS
02-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi All.

I was in Bass Pro Shop today to pickup some black powder, and I noticed that they were almost totally out of smokeless powder, only having 2lbs of a rifle powder (I don't remember which one), and 1lb of a shotgun powder (again, I don't remember which one), but walking further down the isle I noticed that they had several different black powder subs in stock. In particular they had LOTS of Blackhorn 209, and I remembered reading about it a bit, and how unlike other subs you needed to clean it up with an oil based cleaner, just like any other smokeless powder, and totally different than black powder, or the other subs. I picked up the first jug and took the cap off to look at the granules of powder to see what the stuff looked like. Of course being the first bottle, I wasn't the first person to open it, and the seal under the cap was missing, but the things that really caught my attention was the look & smell of the BH209. It had the same smell that most smokeless powders have, and the granules looked just like an extruded smokeless powder, with a hole in it, very similar to SR4759, but smaller granules. It got me thinking, I know that Accurate sells a powder that's similar to 4759 (57xx?), and I was wondering if it looked like the BH209, and further I was wondering if it wasn't that powder just relabeled as a BP sub with a new name. So I reached back in the shelf, and grabbed a bottle that was still factory sealed, and brought it home with me. It sure is expensive stuff, the bottle holds 10oz and cost $32.00 at Bass Pro. Of course Bass is always more expensive on some things, Goex FFg black powder that sells at Graf's for $15.00 sells for $25.00 at Bass. If I'm just buying one or two pounds it's still cheaper to buy locally at Bass, as Grafs has a $27.50 hazmat fee!

The point I'm trying to get to is I wonder if BH209 could be used to load modern rounds? They have loading data for many pistol cartridges, as well as many older BPCR rounds, but considering the lack of other smokeless powders, and the availability of BH209, could I use it to load my normal smokeless cartridges? Of the cartridges that I load, they have loading data for all of them except two, 45ACP, and 7.62x39. They have listings for 45 Colt and 45 Shofield, so I was thinking I could figure out a starting load for the 45ACP from those, and I've been loading my 7.62x39's with the same loading for my 30-30, so I figured I could do the same, use their 30-30 load in my 7.62x39. I've also been using SR4759 for making duplex loads with BP in 45-70 to cut down on fouling (as opposed to making duplex loads for more power), and figure I could use the BH209 for that when my supply of 4759 gets used up. It's really amazing what 3gr of SR4759 will do when loaded with 60gr of black powder, that small charge of smokeless really seems to burn up all the fouling! I don't think I would load my 45-70 rolling block with only Blackhorn 209 as the rifle is over 100 years old, but I am going to try duplex loading it with BP to see if it cleans the bore like 4759 does.

Nobade
02-07-2013, 08:32 AM
It works in bigger cartridges too. You can break 2,000 fps in a 375 H&H with a 250gr. boolit and a case full of Blackhorn.

I noticed the same thing at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Albuquerque. No smokeless powder but a big pile of Blackhorn, 777, and Pyrodex.

MikeS
02-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that Blackhorn 209 is more of a smokeless powder than any of the other BP subs are. I'm not familiar with any of the powders that Western makes, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that BH209 is one of them just relabeled.

RPRNY
02-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Blackhorn is not a truly smokeless / nitrocellulose powder. It is still a black powder and due care needs be practiced as, while it is nitrocellulose based - making it more stable and LESS corrosive than other black powder subs, it contains potassium nitrate and sulphur and will create sulphuric acid, especially as it remains hygroscopic. Somewhat oversimplified, but it is essentially a nitrocellulose powder to which black powder compounds are added to make it smoke. This means that it still contains corrosive compounds and is less stable than smokeless powder. It has been banned from several States (Nevada and New Mexico come to mind) for use during their muzzleloading seasons as they deem it not a "black powder". That said, it still carries the negatives of BP, albeit to a lesser degree than Pyrodex, 777 etc.

Blackhorn is arguably the best black powder substitute but therein lies its danger. It is still corrosive. It is more stable than black powder and other subs but it is not as stable as smokeless powder.

So, enjoy; but treat this as a black powder. Clean immediately. Store and reload carefully. Also note that it is called Blackhorn 209 and meant chiefly as a muzzleloading powder with 209 shotgun primers. You need to follow guidance on primer usage in metallic cartridges.

I don't want to put you off, but black powder subs can lull people into false senses of security. Black powder and black powder subs need a higher order of respect and regard to safety. Enjoy safely.

MikeS
02-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Until I shoot some I can't say more about the powder, but it sure smells like smokeless, and looks like smokeless. It kind of looks like SR4759, only smaller. Pyrodex, and triple 7 look nothing like smokeless, nor do they smell anything like any smokeless that I've ever seen.

RPRNY
02-11-2013, 01:34 AM
I urge you to regard Blackhorn 209 as corrosive and potentially more volatile than we would normally regard smokeless powders. It appears to be very much one of the early 20th Century nitrocelluose "bulk powders" with certain BP additives to create smoke. These powders were discontinued for a reason. Sharpe gives a good explanation of why in his chapeters on Powders in his 1937 Complete Guide to Handloading. Which can be downloaded here and is, in any event, an excellent read and tremendous resource for cast bullet loading: http://www.harriscountytx.gov/ifs/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1420 Chapters 16 and 17 and particularly pages 153 - 155 cover many of the issues arising from these early "bulk" powders, of which Blackhorn 209 appears a partial descendent. Modern casing on Blackhorn 209 would however seem to render it "safer" than those early bulk powders.

However, "Haag's findings were that Blackhorn 209, while basically nitrocellulose contained inclusions of potassium nitrite and sulphur, which may create potassium sulphate, possibly sulphur trioxide, or dioxide combining with water in the air form sulfuric acid. He concluded that there is potassium nitrite and elemental sulphur embedded in what is basically a nitrocellulose product"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?69929-Blackhorn-209-and-saboted-bullet-test-results/page4

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=6150.0;

Includes the article in Single Shot Rifle Journal (Jan/Feb 2009 Vol 62, No 1) by C. Rodney James and the conclusions of Haag's spectograph chemical analysis.

http://www.harriscountytx.gov/ifs/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1420 A brief bio on Haag.

Lucien C Haag
Forensic Science Services, Inc.
P. O. Box 5347
Carefree, AZ 85377
Telephone: (480) 488-4445
FAX: (480) 488-3838
E-mail: haagfssi@aol.com

Should you wish to contact him directly to discuss his findings.