PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Rossi M92s

John Allen
02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi, I am thinking about getting a Rossi 92 and wondered what people who have of them think of them. I am was going to get a 45long colt version and shoot cast.

Please let me know.

Uncle Grinch
02-06-2013, 10:15 PM
I had one of the older Interarms Rossi's in 357 and it was slick as butter. Very nice little carbine... got a wild hair and sold it to a member here. Wish I had kept it now.

The earlier models without the safety on top of the bolt is better in my opinion..... FWIW

dnotarianni
02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi, I am thinking about getting a Rossi 92 and wondered what people who have of them think of them. I am was going to get a 45long colt version and shoot cast.

Please let me know.

Bought the 92 in 44 mag and it's a great gun Do yourself a favor and take the bolt out and stone all the sharp edges it will be a lot smoother functioning. Great shooter and thinking about getting it's twin in 357 also
Dave

joec
02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
I have one in 45 Colt with the 20" octagon barrel. Now they are a mass produced gun so don't expect the quality control one that is hand built. With that said I picked up the Steve's Gunz tune up kit with DVD on breaking it down etc. It was well worth the money too in my opinion and once finished some of his tips I had a gun that is has a stronger action and ability to shoot heavier loads than any of the 1892 to 1895 models out there. I've been shooting mine for two years with every thing from jacketed factory ammo to factory lead ammo to my own loads up to 300 gr using powders for smokeless to black powder. The gun has become my back up hunting rifle behind my Rossi Rio Grande 45-70 which was much better internal finish than mine was.

huntrick64
02-06-2013, 11:22 PM
I bought the Rossi 92 24" Oct. bbl in 45 colt about 4 months ago. Case hardened receiver and blued barrel. Finnish was excellent, fit was a little "off". Some edges were down right sharp. I disassembled, smoothed up external edges, polished everything inside to a mirror finish, and adjusted (ground down on belt sander) the ejector spring, and adjusted the trigger spring to pull 3 lbs. Lubed it up with white lithium spray grease and it is now as smooth as any levergun you have even seen. Accuracy is great! Using HS-6, and the Mihec 270 SWC, it will one-hole (about 1/2" to 3/4" group) at 50 yards. Shot a doe at least 75 yds away this year. I can't say enough about this gun, but I am used to buying new Rugers and working them over inside to get what I want. If I was doing it over again, i would do exactly the same thing. I love this gun. You can't match it with anything else for $425.

jr612
02-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I have one in 44mag, the only complaint I have is that the case isn't always extracted the first time I cycle the action. I've only used it twice so I haven't really looked into what the problem my be. Other than that, it's a great gun.

marlin39a
02-07-2013, 07:38 AM
They come out of the box in need of cleaning, lubing, stock finishing, some minor action work. Well worth it. I have a 357 and will soon be looking for a 44.

Doc65
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
On the other side of all that is that the stainless carbine in 357 I got a couple weeks ago is VERY sloppily made. The flat sides aren't flat, the bolt fits the action very sloppy, the pin that holds the plunger in the lever to inturn hold the lever closed is loose & will slide either right or left, and binds the gun up with the action open(took a while to figure that was the problem), and finally the worst issue is that the locking lug notches in the action seem to be in the right place, basically the same distance back from the breach, BUT the notches in the bolt are not, the one on the left side of the bolt is about .025 further forward. The assemblers fix for this was that rather than puttting a different bolt with both notches in the right place in, they took the left locking lug and beat/peened a ridge on the inner forward edge of the lug to make it contact the bolt notch. Kinda hard to explain, but it is ugly, and gives the lug to bolt/lug a very narrow contact surface that will wear quickly, and also has the potential for peening back faster than normal wear.

I called support & they did send me a shipping label to send it in for warranty work, but they made sure to let me know they were running 8-12 weeks out. Ouch!!! This in contrast to the issue i had with a trigger binding on a Ruger New Vaquero, I sent it back & had it in my hands yesterday, basically 2 weeks end to end including shipping time. Needless to say I'm less than happy with Rossi

crappie-hunter
02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I have two 20" blue models 357mag and 44mag both are fine guns and shoot well. Now understand appearance and fit are secondary to me ,performance is king, my guns are for shootin not for looking good on the wall. Rossi's are for shootin and they are excellent for that. I will be looking for a 45lc very soon. Don't be afraid to purchase one,you will be pleased.

countryroads
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
I have four of them. I have two in 45 colt, the round barreled carbine, and the 24" octagonal with a case hardened reciever. Both are good guns, but I like the case hardened version better. I shot a buck a few months ago with a 300 grain gas checked cast bullet. Dead right there. I also have a 20" octagonal barreled 44 magnum. It is also a sweet thing. The 357 24" Octagonal barreled case hardened reciever version is somewhat problematical. It is sometimes difficult to load it. I'm hoping that with use it will self correct. Overall, I have not had any issues with fit and finish. The sights are adequate, but I have put Marbles sights on two of them for increased adjustment capability. You won't go too far wrong buying one, especially when you consider the price. Hope this helps.

John Boy
02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
wondered what people who have of them think of them. I am was going to get a 45long colt version and shoot cast.
John, I have 2 Rossi's in 45 Colt and shoot BP lead reloads in them for CAS.
* Vintage 2002 - 24" barrel and the other is a vintage 2005 - 20" barrel
* Both have been slicked up based on Nate Jones concepts using the directions listed here ... Rossi 92: The COMPLETE - CORRECT Disassembly & Assembly Instructions! (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7504.0)
* Both have very smooth actions. In fact I can work the finger levers using only my little finger. Eezox is the best lube to make the action smooth
* The 24" rifle has over 12,000 rounds through it with no broken parts or mechanical failures. Also has been field stripped for cleaning 2 or 3 times.
* Because the M92 is the design by John Browning with the double locking toggle links, the action is very strong
* The bores on both rifles are very accurate. I shoot mine using a Marble's rear sights out to 200yd in NRA Lever Action Silhouette matches
* The fit to finish of the wood is average but the price for the rifles won't break your wallet verses the cost for a '60 - '66 or '73 rifle

Ragnarok
02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I bought a new Rossi/Braztec stainless 20" .44 mag carbine a couple years back. It's not absolutely perfect on exterior fit and finish...but it ain't bad. Mechanicaly works smooth and perfect...seems well put together as far as internal fit.

The only real issue being the cheesy sights needed some work to bring the rifle on target(shot high at lowest elevation). It's an excellent shooter..accuracy is fine.

The only similiar guns I have to compare it to are a Marlin .45 Colt 1894 Cowboy carbine..and a Browning 1886 src...now the Rossi M92 is not in the same class as these two carbines as far as exterior fit and finish...but it works just as well.

One main reason I bought a stainless steel M92 carbine is utility....I can haul it on my atv...I can chunk it in my truck...I can get it wet...and I'm not knocking value off a really expensive lever-gun by scratching it up..and it don't seem to want to rust...Mine is a work-gun

KCSO
02-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Just bought a new Rossi to replace the one I've had since 1973 or so... I was very pleased with the gun. It was about as slick out of the box as you would ever want, the trigger broke at 3 1/2 pound with jst a touch of creep that disappeared after about a hundred rounds or so. The bore was dead on at 357 and it hasn't leaded yet. The only downside was the goofy safety on the topp and that disappeared right away. My original Rossi was a car gun that I carried when i had to pack a revolver and I couldn't begin to count how many rounnds went down that tube. It killed cows, hogs, coyote, deer, rabbits, squirrels and faced down a couple felons to boot. My daughter had to have it and there it went so now the new one is getting broken in.

Doc.Holliday
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I have 2 Rossi 92's in 45 colt and a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 colt.
The Rossi's are Ok cheap shooter guns. You get what you pay for. The wood is a mystery hardwood with a painted stain. Most need slicking, stoning, action work etc. Yiu may get lucky and get a out of the box slick shooter but that's not normal. You can go on any Forum even the Rossi one and hear the same line. Rossi factory sights are usually first thing replaced, cheap junk. But for $450.00 what can you expect. When or if you sell or trade it ,It's a Rossi and will not appreciate or hold its value.
My Winchester 94 needed no work to slick up, front and rear sights did not have to be replaced. Nice walnut and well finished.
If I look after it will it hold its value ? yes. It's a Winchester will it appreciate? yes . Did it cost $450.00? No.
Given my druthers and if I was only going to buy one ; I'd buy a Winchester but then I'd rather shoot than fix and tinker continuously.
If you could buy a used Rossi where someone else has done all the paying for the fixing and changing for you, now that would be a different story.
I reload and shoot cast in all 3 guns. No feeding issues with any of mine using RNFP bullets or SWC. I like Red Dot and Power Pistol Powder. 3N37 works great no better than P.P.

Respectfully
Doc.

makicjf
02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Have 2, a 20 inch round bbl carbine and a 24 inch octagon , both in 45 colt. They smooth up with use. Both shot high out of the box, but was rectified with some minor tweeking. Best $400 i ever spent, in both cases.
Jason

jlchucker
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
I notice that Rossi (Braztech) doesn't offer their 92's in 44-40 any more. Too bad. I've got a 44 mag rifle and a trapper 357. I had hoped to someday acquire, for old times sake, a 44-40 carbine. Guess I'll just have to wait for a good used one to turn up.

John Allen
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Ok, thanks to all the comments I went and picked a used one up at the shop down the street from me. It is a 45LC with case hardened receiver and octagon barrel.

Thanks Everyone I appreciate the comments and information.

warboar_21
02-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Have a few questions for you Rossi M92 45LC owners. What is the twist rate of these rifles? Also what is the heaviest bullet you have loaded up for it? I am seriously wanting to get a 45LC lever action but I am wanting to be able to shoot the same loads as my two Rugers. I shoot everything from 255gr to 335gr and really would like it if I didn't have a "rifle only load".

One more question. For those of you who have the Winchester 1894 45LC what is the twist rate of them and the heaviest bullet they will stabilize. I found a 1894 45LC AE at a local shop and really like it but I do not want it if I can't shoot heavies out of it either.

Thanks for your help.

Doc65
02-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Not really sure about that, one of the semi-local gunshops has a new in the box 44-40 stainless carbine in stock right now. It's kinda tempting, but I'm not really needing another caliber to load for. then again I do have like a dozen boxes of ammo that I picked up when I thought I needed a '73 in 44-40. I could always buy the carbine to have something to shoot that ammo in....

Reverse justification:mrgreen:

I notice that Rossi (Braztech) doesn't offer their 92's in 44-40 any more. Too bad. I've got a 44 mag rifle and a trapper 357. I had hoped to someday acquire, for old times sake, a 44-40 carbine. Guess I'll just have to wait for a good used one to turn up.

Doc.Holliday
02-09-2013, 01:44 PM
I do believe on the new or latest 94's it is 1:24 . I have friends who shoot 300 grainers out of theirs but I have not gone over 255 in my guns. I have shot theirs but the felt recoil in a light gun is pretty good and no dinosaurs where I live -YET.
Doc.

snaketail
05-02-2013, 02:37 PM
I have a stainless 20" 92 Rossi in .454. It shoots .45 Colt 230gr LRN just fine - I can't tell the difference in 230gr or 250gr, they seem to be interchangeable - almost same point of impact. I'm having a tang sight installed and the gunsmith said I may have to shim the sight - because they polish the mounting area by hand and each one is a little different. Perhaps I'll see a difference in the loads once I start using the tang sight - the semi-buckhorn is a real challenge in Cowboy Silhouette matches.

I shot the 230gr boolits at 40, 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 yards. At 40 and 50 the chickens go down so fast I wondered if I'd damaged them! At 75 and 100 yards those I hit went down without a fight. At 150 yards the turkeys wend down kinda slow, but they did go down. I didn't hit too many 200 yard rams with the semi-buckhorn sight - the first one went "ding" and slowly fell over (amazing how long it took to get there too!). When I hit them they went over. I was using 6.8gr of HP38 for the 230gr LRN - the 250gr were Winchester Cowboy loads (750 fps) that weren't very accurate and tended to lead the bore.

Reverend Al
05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
I bought an older Rossi '92 SRC in .38 / .357 for my wife Laurie several years ago. It's a very nice older gun without the bolt safety and it's very well fitted and finished and just as slick as any of my original '92 Winchester carbines. Nice deep conventional rifling and it shoots cast reloads and lead factory loads WAY better than either one of us can hold it! A fine shooting little carbine at a fraction of the cost of an original '92 Winchester ... (from memory I think I picked this one up for $200.00).

pietro
05-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Have a few questions for you Rossi M92 45LC owners. What is the twist rate of these rifles?

FWIW, ALL Rossi Model 92's, regardless of caliber, have a 1:30" twist.