PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Rim Rock 44 caliber 185 gr SWC-HP

stormspotter
02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
New to the forum and just getting into reloading for the 44 Special. I've loaded the 357 mag. in the past and still load for my 223 Remington.

Besides ordering from Missouri Bullets, I'm thinking about trying Rim Rocks 44 caliber 185 gr. SWC-HP in my Ruger 44 Special.

Has any one used this bullet, in either 44 Special or reduced loads in the 44 Mag. Will they hold together at speeds of up to 1000 fps and are they as accurate as the heavier 240 gr bullets.

I was going to use Unique as my choice of powder, but local stores are out and have no idea when new supplies will come in. I had settled on Universal as my next choice and picked up a pound of it to try. Starline will be making another run of 44 Special brass at the end of the month and I will make a run to their office and pick up some brass. Next items will be a set of dies and powder measure.

I have shot some Winchester Cowboy loads and CCI Blazer 200 gr. HP's and love the was it shoots. I have a set of grips coming from Private's Custom Grips and have picked up a nice Safariland holster for it.

I've been bitten by the 44 Special bug and am starting to look for a New Vaquero or Sheriffs model also.

This is a great forum and has lots of helpful info.

I'm a Stormspotter with our local EMA so I will end my first post with "Remember to keep an eye to the sky".

runfiverun
02-06-2013, 11:51 PM
i haven't gone that light in the 44 special.
i have used a lot of 200 rnfp's sized to 430 [rimrock should have that mold,i know the former owner had it]
i have the same 200 gr mold.
we generally just shoot a regular 240 gr rnfp or swc type boolit over 7.2 grs of unique,my wife shoots the same revolver as mine but blued and really likes that load too.
not much help to your question.
any way welcome to the forum.