PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358091

Shiloh
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
This is a .38/357 wad cutter mold.

Can anyone tell me if there is a problem with lube getting on the bevel base of this boolit? I found a used one but have read posts that the base gets fouled when sizing and lubing.

Shiloh :castmine:

Thin Man
07-23-2007, 04:48 PM
My reply is not my original thought. It is borrowed, and I can't remember the original source. When you size the boolits, place a gas check in the sizing die, as you would normally expect it to become attached to the boolit. The bevel base should enter the check, but not attach. When you have sized/lubed and removed the boolit from the die, make sure the gas check does not follow the boolit out of the sizing cavity. The author claimed this prevented a build-up of lube on the base of the boolit. No, I have not tried this, yet, but plan to give it run with my next batch of bevel-base work. Hope it works for you.
Thin Man

StanDahl
07-30-2007, 02:02 AM
I just tumble them with Lee liquid alox and they work great! Much quicker than sending each one through the luber. Stan

Shiloh
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I just tumble them with Lee liquid alox and they work great! Much quicker than sending each one through the luber. Stan

That was going to be my next question. I have done this successfully with other pistol boolits run at less than 900 fps

dubber123
07-30-2007, 08:52 PM
This is probably my favorite .38 spl. bullet. I have never had a bit of a problem with the lube on the bullet base. In a good gun, 1" at 25 yds. is not a problem. I may be wrong, but I think the little bit of lube on the base is an overated issue. BTW, air cooled WW's properly sized, and 2.7 grs. of Bullseye is a good place to start.

beagle
07-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I've used this bullet and never had any problem with the lube. It's not my normal wadcutter as I normally use #358495.

If it worries your mind, take the center punch and turn the center out to leave a small rim to fit the BB.

Most of the center pins on sizing dies are soft.

Just for grins, I made one once and it works pretty well./beagle