PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 20lber has turned up its toes.

JeffinNZ
02-06-2013, 04:54 AM
....for the second time. I had a new element made for it a few years back and this evening it went also taking a house fuse with it. Time to write the old girl off. It was well second hand when I bought it, has served me well and it getting pretty tattered. I will get a Lee 20lber to replace it seeing as the good folk at Lee sponsor us here. Would prefer the 'Magnum' as I ladle cast exclusively now days but the 'dripomatic' would be fine also.

Now, if we could all have a quiet moment of reflection of the late, great 20lb Lyman of Jeff's man cave....

bruce drake
02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Did you do a Haka as you took it out to the dumpster?

Also, hopefully, the lead was molten enough to pour it out into some molds before it hardened up. Lead is too dear for it to be wasted!

Bruce

Norbrat
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Easy enough to change the dripomatic to ladle; weld up bottom hole and ditch the valve mechanism.

Make a PID for it and you will be good to go again.

bruce drake
02-07-2013, 02:52 AM
I used a small wood screw up the spout to close my 10lb LEE off to a Ladle-only operation.

JeffinNZ
02-07-2013, 02:57 AM
I say a few words over the dead pot actually Bruce. None that could be repeated here however. Still have me 10lb pot but I like to run two.

Old Caster
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
If you ladle pour, buy a Waage because they have a larger top and the thermostat is so much more accurate keeping the temperature correct plus it melts your alloy faster.