PDA

View Full Version : now what..

runfiverun
02-05-2013, 07:20 PM
so it's day two of the week.

on day one littlegirl calls and say's the bronco's motor is running funny..
so i go to get her and look at it.
sure nuff,good thing i grabbed the tow cable.
so i'll have to pull it down and see just how bad things are,but with 180,000 miles and 24 years on it i'm sure it's not gonna be easy/cheap.

day two i was up waaay late last night,so i slept in some.
get up and go up the stairs and hear lots of equipment out front working.
hey the water is off siiigh.
walk out in the garage,and the carpet is all wet...
come on
better chec the basement and shut the water off so it doesn't blow something again when the water comes back on.
back to the basement to shut it off,open the door to the utility room
and yeah this week just got better.
all the camping gear,all my shotshells,wads,stored ammo,stored bullets/boolits/brass/steel shot.
not amused.

can't wait for day three to see how much better it can get...siiigh

Beau Cassidy
02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Been there. Done that. I hope it gets better for you.

P.K.
02-05-2013, 08:16 PM
WOW, not a way I would want to start a week. It can only get better right?

km101
02-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Yeah, sometimes your luck just goes bad. But it WILL get better! Just grin and think of all the fun you can have and have had with all the stuff you are hauling out of the basement.

The good times will be back. We just have to endure 'till they get here!

GaryN
02-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Dang, that sucks. If you can get the carpet and pad up and dry it out you can still use it. Unless the water that is on it is raw sewage or some other gross stuff. Suck it up with a carpet cleaner. You will have to get the pad out from under it or it won't dry.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-05-2013, 09:02 PM
so did the crew out front have something to do with your "house bath"?

Charlie Two Tracks
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Sorry runfiverun. It just happens don't it. Ain't no fun while it's going on but ......... it does get resolved eventually. Hey! thanks for all your help on my posts over the years and I always look forward to what you have to say on issues or problems.

runfiverun
02-05-2013, 09:56 PM
yeah water main broke in front of the other neighbors place.
mine broke about two years back netting me about 8 lbs of lead water pipe and no problems.
the neighbors to the south had theirs break this fall.
now the one to the north goes.
it washed out it's own hole and melted a giant pile of snow on it's way towards my place.
we have really good water pressure here.
they just keep on patching the system, some places have patch to patch to patch repairs.
they do get there and fix it really fast though.
i know one of the workers pretty well i shoot with him sometimes, and he has been to the house for some reloading help.
as soon as i walked out there he say's "no,, there ain't no lead pipe in this hole".
then asked if i was flooded too badly.

just waiting for number three to be over with.

Idaho Mule
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Hang in there Run, situation ain't good but it could be worse. Step back, take a deep breath, and tackle it one step at a time. I do have a '71 Ford 300 straight 6 in running order if it would help, also '72 360. Hope it gets better soon. JW

429421Cowboy
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Yep, that flat out sucks! Had our house flood two springs ago when everybody was getting washed out and its amazing what just water can do to your posessions. Too bad you didn't even get any lead out of the deal! On the bright side, aren't you glad you also didn't have your safe full of guns down there too?

runfiverun
02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
i have a 4.6 out of a 2002 crown vic police car, the wiring harness and computer.
i think i could get it to bolt in easy nuff but i'd have to buy a couple of aftermarket parts,and make a couple of small things.
but i ain't trying it in the driveway in the mud/ice/snow.
i'll probably just keep my eyes open for a 351 to put in it,i'm too far into new parts to just let it go now.

oh well,, the mustang needs a new battery anyway looks like i just saved 150 bucks.:lol:.

geargnasher
02-05-2013, 11:03 PM
oh well,, the mustang needs a new battery anyway looks like i just saved 150 bucks.:lol:.

Silver lining?

I'm betting you could put a parts store crankshaft kit and an oil pump, couple of seals, gaskets, and engine mounts in it cheaper than adapting the 4.6L to that tranny, assuming she didn't get it hot and the rod eyes are still round. That I-6 ain't a half-bad idea either, they did great in the full-size Broncos. If if was a Chevy I could sure help you out.

Gear

daniel lawecki
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I had a month like that oneday. It will get better best of luck.

MT Gianni
02-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Ouch, things have got to get better.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2013, 09:11 AM
If it is the city water main they have the responsibility to take care of your damages. Sit down and total up your claim.

WILCO
02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Ouch, things have got to get better.

With time and a stiff drink, they sometimes do.

kbstenberg
02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Is it possable to rewind the clock and start the week over? Better days are ahead. I hope!!!

P.K.
02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Is it possable to rewind the clock and start the week over? Better days are ahead. I hope!!!

Groundhog day was last week....;-)

blackthorn
02-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Did you have insurance? The reason I ask is that a couple of years ago we were away for a couple of days and the dishwasher flooded the hardwood floor in the kitchen. We were looking at a huge replacement bill and ny son said it likely would not hurt to ask the insurance co. if we were covered, so I did. They sent an adjuster out and then replaced the whole kitchen/dining room hardwood floor. So if the city don't cover it maybe your house insurance will. Hope things get better from here.

MT Gianni
02-06-2013, 01:38 PM
This is a good reminder that when possible driveways need to slope away from the house, entryways from garages need a step and basement doors need a good, weatherproof sweep on the bottom of the door. I have lived in a home with no basement floor drain and would not willingly repeat that. Currently ours has a 10 gallon sump with a pump but water problems can damage a lot of stuff.

runfiverun
02-06-2013, 02:19 PM
yeah i could file a claim with the city and see what they would do.
i pretty much had it all under control before the wife even got home.
i really don't wanna take a claim form over to the city,itemizing our backpack contents.
thousands of hulls and thousands of pieces of brass and thousands of rounds of wet ammo.
the ammo was really not wet so i just un boxed it all and went through it just to make sure.
i knew i had "some" down there,i didn't realize it was quite that much.
i had to toss some boxes and replace them,,and move some 5 gallon buckets of cast boolits to get the carpet dried.
it wasn't epicly bad,another inch and it would have been a lot worse.
so all three tumblers are running today,and i run a couple of batches of hulls through the dryer,and the sleeping bags and such will be going to the laundry mat this afternoon.
then i'll put the carpet back down in a couple of spots i pulled it up.
not the end of the world.

starmac
02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
LOL Some claims are better left unclaimed. Glad it wasn't worse than it was.

DLCTEX
02-06-2013, 06:15 PM
That's one thing about our hobby (passion), even such a incident doesn't mean all is lost. We can salvage components and load up again much more economically than non reloaders/casters.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Yeah, but you may yet have to replace carpet and pad.

runfiverun
02-07-2013, 12:33 AM
i'm pretty sure the carpet is okay,i might have to cut some spots of the pad out.
if i do, they will be about 6" wide and about 1-2' long.
everything dried out allright and there is no odor or anything the water was clean by the time it got there.
most of the muddy water stayed in the garage, i am just gonna toss the carpet strip in front of the garage door and just replace it with a rug.
the rest was just dried out and swept up.
i did have to toss out some older [from the 70's] shotgun hulls.
i think i can absorb the hit on those,i don't have enough shot to load them all anyway and have more stored at my dads place.