PDA

View Full Version : Storing sizing dies - clean or let the wax protect them?

jrebs
02-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I have already got three sizing dies for my lubrisizer and having used them all, the two I'm not currently using are still coated with and filled with rcbs bullet lube (beeswax stuff). I tend to think the lube should be a suitable protective coating for storing the dies long-term, but is this not the case? Should I be cleaning them off and then spraying with wd-40 or something to preserve them? I'll pretty much only be using one of the dies for the foreseeable future.

Edit: Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to just keep storing them covered in lube. I love it when the lazy solution is also the practical/appropriate one.

C.F.Plinker
02-05-2013, 06:29 PM
If I am going to use the die that is in the press for the next sizing session I just leave it in the press. The other dies I store in pill bottles which are labeled with the size of the die and include the top punch and an allen wrench. I usually clean at least the outside off with WD40 and wipe dry. This is primarily because I would rather handle a clean die than a greasy, sticky die. The pill bottles have a tight seal which keeps moisture away from the die so there is not a problem with rust. If I don't know what I will be sizing next, I store the die I was just using in its' pill bottle so I can choose from clean dies at the start of the next session.

If you clean out the lube holes and clean off the plunger, don't forget to pressurize the die with lube before you lube the first boolit. If you try to size a boolit with a dry die there is a chance that you not be able to push the boolit through the die. If you stick a boolit in the die it can be difficult to get it out.

FLHTC
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
I use 35mm film cans for my dies. They fit perfectly and my top punches go in a ammo box for 45 ACP.

farmerjim
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
What is 35 mm film?
Are They the plastic or the metal cans.
I will have to check up in my barn to see if I can find any of the old cans packed away with my useless darkroom equipment.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Just the Ol'Coot's opinion, but as long as you keep them clean so as to NOT introduce grime into the lube, why waste the time cleaning? They sure aren't going to rust.

Now, If I was in the process of changing lube, it might be a different answer. Otherwise why waste the time and effort.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

jrebs
02-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Just the Ol'Coot's opinion, but as long as you keep them clean so as to NOT introduce grime into the lube, why waste the time cleaning?

I'm probably only knee high on a grasshopper compared to you, but I'm an old coot at heart and that's why I'm looking for a reason why storing them covered in wax is a problem. So far I'm fixing to continue as I have, letting the wax protect the dies. I have no problem handling them covered in lube.

I hadn't even considered cleaning out one wax to change to another. I'm about to run out of RCBS lube and switch to Dragon Lube but the composition is similar (it's a softer wax not requiring heating), so I was going to just toss a stick in the press once the current stuff starts to run out.

captaint
02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Heck, I always leave the last boolit, lube & all in the die. Store em in pill bottles, marked. Don't even wipe them off. If I do, I'm just wasting the loob. Don't have any top punches, use a Star instead. Never had a die rust.....enjoy Mike

NHGrumpyGramps
02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
I have the Lyman 45 that my dad bought in the 60's along with the dies he had that I still use. These dies were always stored with lube in them and some of them I haven't used since he put them away. No rust and they still look good. I still just store the dies I remove when finished with the lube on them and have never seen a problem. A good storage idea that I picked up here is to use a plastic 12 gauge ammo box with lid. Dies fit perfectly and you can store 25 at a time all in order of size.

backroad
02-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I use ballistol for purposes like that. Great for dies, tools in storage, tablesaw, bandsaw,tops and such.

DLCTEX
02-05-2013, 10:13 PM
WD-40 is not a rust preventative.

plainsman456
02-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I just leave the lube on them and put them in a container,till next time.

jimb16
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
35 mm film cans can be aluminum or plastic depending on the age. I warm the dies and wipe off the excess from the outside only then drop them into 35mm cans or if you know someone who is diabetic and test their blood every day, they may have leftover test strip containers which are about the same size. Just wrap some masking tape around them and mark the sizing die size on it. Then you don't even need to open the container to know what's in it.

GRUMPA
02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
I just leave the lube on them and store them in plastic tubes with end caps on. When I would order pre-made lube they would come in clear plastic tubes with end caps on them, I just cut them down to length and wrote the size of the die on the cap, been doing that from day 1. After reading this aloud to the wife and she got a kick out of it, she said " you see there's other folks out there that are worse than you are" and she still keeps calling me frugal.

runfiverun
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
i just throw [gently place] them in a fishing tackle box thingy and put it in a drawer it easily holds all 20+ sizers.
i only have 4-5 punches to do everything so they just get put in the box too.
if i am changing lubes then i clean it off the die before installing it in the empty sizer.

HangFireW8
02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Lubed in a pill bottle, labeled with a Sharpie, often with the "usual" top punch. Loob is a far better rust preventative than WD-40, which migrates far to quickly to maintain coverage.

Sometimes for good measure I throw in a few spare loob grooves. :)

HF

Mk42gunner
02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I leave the lube on and store in an MTM 12 Guage box. Top punches go in a small plastic box inside the 12 Guage box.

No rust yet.

Robert

HATCH
02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I have a round tupperware container that has a screw on lead.
I put all my sizing dies with punches in that container.
I never clean the lube off of them.

Gunslinger1911
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
I have about 7 or 8 Lyman sizing dies, I must be a "coot" also - I dont clean the lube - store them in small zip-lock snack bags.

**oneshot**
02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I keep them in a fishing lure box with labels. It holds the dies and the top punches so it's easy to change them without digging around.

Bullshop
02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
I store mine in an MTN plastic three tier 12 gauge shot shell box indexed in order of diameter.

runfiverun
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
i like the 12 ga box idea i'm gonna look into that.

mpmarty
02-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I have a shelf above my reloading bench and on the underside I've screwed on lids to peanut butter jars. I store all sorts of stuff including sizing dies in these jars and screw them up into the lids where they are easy to get to and I can see at a glance what is inside them.

williamwaco
02-06-2013, 08:14 PM
I store mine in one of those plastic parts cabinets with the pull out drawers.

like this:

http://www.u-sav.com/garagestoragedirect/catalog/akro-mils-24-drawer-plastic-storage-organizer-3285.html?gclid=CJuSvtn0orUCFfSnPAodBHYAvA

I store them just like they come out of the lubri-sizer.

I can't guarantee long term rust prevention since I have only been storing them in this manner for 57 years.

FLHTC
02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
What is 35 mm film?
Are They the plastic or the metal cans.
I will have to check up in my barn to see if I can find any of the old cans packed away with my useless darkroom equipment.

Oh my, don't use the aluminum cans. They bring as much as $5 a piece on ebay. I use the plastic ones.

Ahhh, that familiar smell of Fixer.

largom
02-07-2013, 10:36 AM
[I also use the plastic parts bin but I got mine at Lowes for less than $10. Has 36 drawers and I can store couple of dies in each drawer. I fitted a 3/8 thick block in the bottom of several drawers where I store the top punches, one drawer for each caliber. Die drawers are labeled for diameter and top punch drawers are labeled for caliber with each punch labeled.

Larry

QUOTE=williamwaco;2046023]I store mine in one of those plastic parts cabinets with the pull out drawers.

like this:

http://www.u-sav.com/garagestoragedirect/catalog/akro-mils-24-drawer-plastic-storage-organizer-3285.html?gclid=CJuSvtn0orUCFfSnPAodBHYAvA

I store them just like they come out of the lubri-sizer.

I can't guarantee long term rust prevention since I have only been storing them in this manner for 57 years.[/QUOTE]

hd09
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I like to leave the lube on and wrap them in a piece of saran wrap because the drawer I keep them in is felt lined, old wood machinist tool box.