PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizing Question

MBfrontier
02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I am new to casting and have a lubrisizing question. I have a new Lee 2 cavity 452 dia. 230 grain truncated cone bevel base mold, a new RCBS Lube-a-matic II, RCBS 452 Sizing Die, and Carnuba Red Lubricant. When I size the bullets I get lube around the bevel base of the bullet. I now realize that the bevel base may be an issue when lubrisizing. Is getting lube on the beveled base normal? If so, is there a way to resolve this without wiping the lube off of each bullet? I have included a picture so you can see what is happening. Thanks for any responses.

Mike W1
02-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Saved this file sometime back but haven't tried it myself.

I finally got my 450 Lube Sizer working good with my .358 SWC boolits. It's filling the (single) lube
groove perfectly and leaving the crimp groove unmolested.
However, I seem to get lube on the bullet base about every 3-4 rounds.
Do I need to adjust the stem or block off a set of holes? This die has 2 sets of holes.

I use a wad cut from a styrofoam tray with a cartridge case under the boolit(on top of the punch) to
seal the lube. Works for me.
You only need one set of holes for a single grease groove bullet. Block off the second set of holes and
your mess will disappear. And, you won't be wasting your precious lube!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36376

read post 5 in the above link. Make sure that your die is adjusted so that the gasket is below the lube
ports when the boolit is at the bottom of the stroke.

You can more than likely punch out the right size styrofoam disk using your sizing die and top punch.

I would think that something like a McDonalds pancake container would work great.