PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Gun Laws

mtnman31
02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Just got word that there is a good chance I will be moving to Maryland this summer. I haven't had a chance to sit down and research the state's gun laws. Anything I need to know up front? I already know that they don't have reciprocity with my home state's concealed carry permit. What is their CCW permit issuing climate like? Can individuals do transferes without using a dealer? Can I bring my evil assault rifles with me or are they banned or have some sort of regitration requirement? Any Maryland residents that could give me quick run-down, I'd appreciate it.

One of the downsides of military service is that you move every couple years and have a new set of rules to learn. All I can say is that moving sucks!

dakotashooter2
02-05-2013, 01:44 PM
What did you do to deserve THAT punishment?....................................... ...................................

Phoenix
02-05-2013, 02:02 PM
PURCHASE

Maryland does not regulate the sale of rifles or shotguns and no permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun. Maryland does regulate the sale, transfer, rent and possession of regulated firearms, which consist of handguns and assault weapons. A person who is not a regulated firearms dealer may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase any regulated firearm without going through a regulated firearms dealer. Alternatively, the prospective seller/transferor and prospective buyer/transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency. READ ALL
POSSESSION

No permit is required to possess a rifle or shotgun. READ ALL
CARRYING AND TRANSPORTATION IN VEHICLES

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him. READ ALL
PERMIT TO CARRY

Application for a permit to carry a handgun is made to the Secretary of State Police. In addition to the printed application form, the applicant should submit a notarized letter stating the reasons why he is applying for a permit. READ ALL
ANTIQUES

An antique firearm is defined as a firearm manufactured before 1899, or any replica thereof, which is not designed for firing fixed ammunition or which uses fixed ammunition and is no longer manufactured in the United States or readily available commercially. Antique firearms are exempt from state law.
MACHINE GUNS

A machine gun is defined as a loaded or unloaded weapon wherein more than one shot may be automatically discharged from a magazine by a single function of the firing device. Possession of a machine gun for an aggressive or offensive purpose is prohibited. A machine gun must be registered within 24 hours of acquisition and annually thereafter with the Secretary of Police. There is a $10 fee. READ ALL
PREEMPTION

The state generally preempts all aspects of firearm and ammunition regulation. READ ALL

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/maryland.aspx

Bulldogger
02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
As far as I know (live in Virginia) they are OK with most all rifles/pistols. I'd check their State Police website and search for the local gun laws. I haven't read them in a year or two, so someone else might chime in with more timely information.

As to Concealed Carry, kiss it goodbye.

In MD you have to have proof you are in a high-risk profession, which means either you routinely carry large amounts of cash or property (bank deposit courier, or vehicle showroom manager/owner), or you're an abortion doctor (persistent demonstrated threat to your profession), OR someone has tried to kill you, failed, is still at large, and has sworn to continue to try to kill you, AND the police document it, THEn you can apply and wait 6 months for approval, maybe.

Average citizen - no CCW in MD.

I welcome statements to the contrary from locals! I live across the river in NOVA, and have my CHP.

Bulldogger

Phoenix
02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Reciprocity

These states recognize Maryland permits:
Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin
Maryland recognizes permits from:
None

Phoenix
02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Handguns and "Assault Weapons" are listed as regulated firearms and mush be registered upon moving to the state.

Its not the worst state but it far form the better list.

Blacksmith
02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Maryland is not gun friendly. The Governor, with white house aspirations, has proposed a bunch of more restrictive NY style laws and they are under consideration in the legislation NOW with a major hearing tomorrow.

The following are based on current law.
Some specific so called "assault Pistols" are banned
Handguns are regulated (registered) at time of transfer.
Assault rifle look-a-likes are regulated (registered) at time of transfer with some specific exceptions i. e. Colt H-bar Sporter. Regulated type guns are listed by specific make ,model, caliber and if not on the list have to be submitted at your expense for approval.
Check the law carefully because I think you can bring these firearms, except banned "Assault Pistols", into the state if they were legally acquired without registering them (buy anything you want before moving). The registration of preexisting guns is voluntary but the police won't mention that so check the law very carefully and watch for changes.
A carry permit is almost impossible to get although MD's law has been ruled unconstitutional it is being fought through the courts, we are waiting on the decision of the 7th circuit court on its way to the Supremes.
Where you live in Maryland makes a big difference depending on county. For the military there are some choices depending where stationed Aberdeen, or Ft. Detrick (Sp) could live out of state vs Ft. Mead for example.
Can individuals do transferes without using a dealer? Face to face transfers between Maryland residents of non regulated firearms only. Basically shotguns and rifles only. All handguns and assault weapon look a likes, with a few exceptions, are regulated.

Here are some resources for you to bookmark:
Maryland Shooters top source for information. Has link to the laws, latest news and an active forum be sure to read the posts in Maryland 2A Issues section. Check the legislative links (main page left side part way down) for the MSP Handgun Roster and the Regulated Firearms List, both lists are regulated registration required at transfer.
http://www.mdshooters.com/?

Maryland Shall Issue actively working for carry reform.
http://marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association.
http://www.msrpa.org/news.php

Department of Public Safety FAQ's, seventh bullet down addresses moving from out of state No Registration of Regulated Firearms Required
http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm

Tell us where you'll be and we can offer more specific advice.

mtnman31
02-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Excellent information. Thank you all.
It doesn't look as bad as it was for the time I spent in Kalifornia, but it is close.
Colorado, where I live now has some pretty decent gun regs. They are common sense and not excessive. Unfortunately, Colorado has a pretty strong liberal lean in many areas and coupled with the past high visibility shootings (theater and Columbine), I think it is only a matter of time before Colorado gets some strong anti-gun legislation in place.

bobthenailer
02-06-2013, 09:35 AM
MD is not a very friendly gun state alot of hoops to jump through and restrictions if your a gun owner. as well as not alot of gun clubs compaired to my area in SW PA, if your in the Frederick area check out the Monacacy pistol club.

turmech
02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Maryland is really like two states. Unfortunately the eastern shore and the western part of the state get controlled by the overpopulated, anti gun, anti sportsman middle section. I am a native born eastern shore man (you will understand that more if you get stationed in Maryland). I am only one generation away from true subsistence living. At one time the state governor referred to the Easter shore as the outhouse of the state publicly and was re-elected again. I don't mean to offend any of the good people who are unfortunate enough to live in the middle as I am sure good people are trapped there, I just have not found any.

There is a bill is in the state legislature today which will cripple the second amendment. It will require $100 fee per year per hand gun, training ever year for handgun ownership (NRA estimates $385 per year for handgun owners), ban assault weapons (if you currently own them you can never transfer or TRANSPORT them), ban anyone under the age of 21 from possessing any ammo which is currently cambered in any gun deemed to be an AW by the state (this will pretty much be all ammo because so many are deemed to be AW).

A rally was set for friday, the day that the legislature was going to vote on the new gun laws. The state go word of the rally (we had to get permits) they changed the vote to today to avoid us.

Maryland already makes concealed carry nearly impossible. The Maryland courts ruled there policies on it unconstitutional and gun owners thought the won. No, the state has been dragging it out in appeals for about a year now with no time frame on a decision.

When I was in the military we would fill out what was called a dream sheet when transferring. This did not mean we would go anywhere on the dream sheet but it helped them decide where they sent you. And I was not in the Marines so I don't know if such a thing exist for you. Knowing most of the military bases in Maryland are in the Baltimore/DC area I would avoid MD.

mtnman31
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes, we still have dream sheets. In the end it is just a "dream". Nine times out of ten, needs of the Corps trumps a dream sheet.
In my case it came down to a choice of going back to Kalifornia or Maryland. Truly a tough choice for me. Although Kalifornia is a bastion of liberal morons and the state is broke, it really has a lot ot offer. The weather is great and there are a ton of activities to keep a person occupied. Home of my San Diego Chargers and I took to loving the Padres baseball team as they are huge supporters of the military. Unfortunately, Southern Kalifornia cost of living is insane (luckily I was never a resident). As much as I hate Kalifornia, I have spent many years out there and have a large group of friends and I have focused on the good things the state has to offer. As for Maryland, this will most likely be my last duty station, so I can suck it up for a while. Most importantly, the job I will be taking in MD should set me up for future employment opportunities after I retire.

BTW - as far as Kalifornia goes, San Diego is fairly conservative as is Orange County, though not as much as it once was.