PDA

View Full Version : 1st silhouette shoot

**oneshot**
07-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Went to my first steel silhouette shoot today, what a humbling experience.

I took my 41mag and shot field pistol class.

My first words to my friend who took me to the shoot were: "Boy those targets are smaller than I thought they were going to be." And they proved to be just as elusive of my bullets.

I had to figure my point of aim on the first round so I really wasn't looking for score. Needless to say even in the second round that I still didn't shoot as well as I should have. I came to realize that 75 and 100yds are really tough shots on those little buggers.

Indeed I have gained incredible respect for those who shoot this class of silhouette.

The best part of the shoot was meeting a great group of people, who welcomed me into the group like I was family. I will be back next month as a member of the club and hopefully shoot a little better. I know I'm garanteed to have a good time. I look forward to next month and will be practicing in the mean time.

Uncle Grinch
07-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the club. We started a 22 rimfire pistol silhouette match (100 yards) several years ago at our club. At that time we only had 5 of each, chicken, pig, turkey and ram. Every one of us shooting were very humbled. I think the best score was a 12 out 20.

We have improved some since then and even have 2 of each set, but to me those turkeys are the hardest to take a good bead on.

Keep it up, friendship and practice make you better.

BOOM BOOM
07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
HI,
sound of lead hitting steel + beutiful music.

BOOM BOOM
07-23-2007, 02:41 PM
HI,
sound of lead hitting steel = beutiful music.

fourarmed
07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
In my experience field pistol is a little easier than bigbore standing and a LOT easier than .22 standing. However any of the freestyle events are dead easy compared to any of the standing events.

Get good sight settings for the chickens and pigs. That's where you will make your scores. The guys who shoot 30 standing plan on getting all of them and half of the turkeys and rams.

targetshootr
07-23-2007, 07:53 PM
That kind of shooting is the most fun. I need to get our range into starting up an event like that but as it is, they don't allow any kind of steel except for the falling plate stands already there at 43 yards. I noticed most guys walk up to the plates and shoot from 15 yards or so. Weird.

LGS
07-24-2007, 11:04 AM
ONESHOT, where in PA did you shoot. I live in Western PA and have been loocking for a place to shot pistol silhouette. Thanks

crabo
07-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I think a lot of the guys who think they can shoot, would be surprised at their scores if they shot a match. The one bullet, one target is quite the challenge. Not only do you have to be able to shoot, but your gun and loads have to right for you to post some good scores.

44man
07-24-2007, 04:53 PM
75 and 100 yd's???? I shoot pop cans at 100! I shoot revolvers to 500 meters! Big bore is supposed to be 50, 100, 150 and 200 METERS. Even when a club has limited distance and uses smaller targets, it makes you appreciate the accuracy needed and lets you understand why I am never satisfied with mediocre groups at 25 yd's. I never shoot less then 50 yd's and want 1" or way less. Yes, it can be humbling when you think you are shooting good. The silhouette range is where you see what what is needed and what is possible. I feel a hunting load should be as good. There is no compromise for accuracy and no excuse for "good enough." Loading for the fastest loads without consideration for accuracy will bite back.
I see too many questions here about how fast a boolit can be driven out of a gun without any thought if they will hit anything.
I do not accuse you of this but you have to realize---accuracy is KING. And it can be attained in a revolver.
The first priority is to get the gun to shoot WAY better then you can shoot it so you are the limiting factor. A MISS SHOULD BE YOUR FAULT ONLY, not the guns.
You have work to do.

SharpsShooter
07-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Welcome to a fun and very educational sport. I started many years back and used a Ruger MkII for smallbore and a 1911 for Bigbore. The first match is the toughest to get through. With each miss comes a bit of embarassment, but it also reaffirms your determination to get the next one. The most accurate load you can find will be your best friend combined with the sight settings that allow you to use the same sight picture each and every time along with lots of practice will show you lots of improvement..

SS

**oneshot**
07-24-2007, 08:29 PM
The shoot is in Meuhlenburg PA. It's a few miles outside of Nanticoke & Wilkes-barre. The class that I shot was field pistol: Standing, freehand, open sights, and basic factory handgun. And yes the targets are 1/2size to the bigbore shooters. The guys shooting bigbore were shooting out to 200meters, and most were shooting Creedmore style: Lying on your back and using your leg to rest the gun against. I am going to rig-up a leather shield for my leg so I can shoot that class as well as the field pistol (for some reason I have some unfinished business with those targets)

I'm already looking for load data to set-up my encore for the next match as well. I think this is another one of those diseases that I got from all those casting session fumes. I guess I'll keep casting and see whats next.

Boondocker
07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi Oneshot

That is a nice range, I live in Hunlocks about five miles from there. I went shooting there a couple years ago with my cousin. I belong to the Harveys Lake Club. I never tried silhouette sounds like fun tho. I like woods walk smokepole shooting alot . Boon:-D

JSH
07-25-2007, 07:41 AM
"I had to figure my point of aim on the first round so I really wasn't looking for score."

Do as you please on sight settings. But I would advise you to establish a particular hold on each animal shape. Then adjust sights accordingly more so on BB than FP. Once you get past the P at 50 you may be supprised what you need to do on T and R.
If you try to leave your sights the same all the way out a lot of times you will find what lighting can do to your sight/picture/hold.
A good set of sights are worth every penny. Most sights will work pretty good on FP targets. Bob is the 41 man here at home, he may have input on sight settings and loads.
Keep it fun and learn from every round fired. I can't express enough on good notes and I don't keep near enough myself. I do find myself keeping more and more though. I myself want 50% or better and I am satisfied or pleased with that, but still want more in order to whup Mrs. Fourarmed,lol.
I have seen and heard a lot of folks say that is a piece of cake. Then get up and try it and find out different. Especially when you remind them 1 round on 1 target, you don't get to shoot until it falls.
Jeff

Bret4207
07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
I always wanted to try silhouette shooting, but there's none to be found locally. After reading this post I might avoid it due to fear of embarassment. I do hope to fix up some "gongs" for my Ballistics Research Center, (sandpit). I figure 9" down to 1" should satisfy all our needs fome 4 year olds to the old man. It won't be the same as silhouettes, but it'll something the kids and I can see and hear and they seem to like that.

I did have a set of those minature air rifle shilouettes, but I think they wound up living with Ken abd Barbie....

fourarmed
07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Jeff is right about using a consistent hold. If the boolit isn't going where you want it, reach for the screwdriver. If you try to hold off, you are going to miss.

Whupping Mrs. Fourarmed is not the easiest thing in the world to do, let me tell you. This summer at the Wednesday night bullseye league, she shot her first 100 on timed fire - double action.

44man
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Bret4207, NO!!!!, don't avoid it. It will teach you more then you can realize. NOBODY IS EVER EMBARRASSED!
If you avoid hard competition it shows a lack of confidence or a lack of attaining accuracy. Most of the guys CAN'T SHOOT and don't know what we do.
I quit because of the driving distance when I had to move and the cost. But I showed them something while I was shooting. I will always be proud of it and nobody will take it away from me.
NEVER shy away from shooting, GET YOUR BUTT OUT THERE!