PDA

View Full Version : Trimming brass or making patches

Charlie Two Tracks
02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I just got done trimming up 500 rds of brass and now I am making cleaning patches. I wait until I am about out of patches before I make a bunch up again. Winter projects. I can't figure out which one I hate doing more...... I think it's the patches.

Beekeeper
02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
What do you use to make patches
Material
cutter

beekeeper

Blacksmith
02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Charlie
Cut them out in decorative shapes, it doesn't make it any more fun but you can make the misery last.

Do you fold the material to cut more than one at a time or cut one long strip then cross cut or cut a series of parallel cuts then cross cut? Any one got a good idea on cutting cleaning patches?

FredBuddy
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I use old flannel shirts. Gives me a line to follow...

Charlie Two Tracks
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I make my patches out of old bed sheets. You can make an awful lot of patches out of a set of bed sheets! I make a cut with the scissors and take off the hem of the sheets and then make a small cut at the desired width and rip all the way down. I make a bunch of these and then make a small cut in that long strip a bunch of times at the width I want and rip them into squares. It's just boring is all. I turn the radio on and listen to it while I'm making them.
You can go to yard sales and find a bunch of stuff to make the patches out of. Old T shirts make good patches also. It just takes more time than the sheets do.

parson48
02-05-2013, 01:17 PM
My wife cuts patches for me, using old t-shirts. She has a rotary cutter that she uses in her sewing, and can cut up hundreds in just a few minutes.

The rotary cutter is simply a handle that holds a small circular blade.

FISH4BUGS
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't cut my own patches but I will now. My SO is a massage therapist and uses flanel sheets on the massage table. When they get oil stained or worn, she gives them to me and I just put them in 5 gal buckets with lids. Now I know what I can do with them.
Trimming brass is actually not that bad a task. I use a Forster trimmer with an electric screwdriver attachment. I did some 1000+ 223 and 1000+ 308's throgh the winter last year. Fire up the heater in the shed, put on the radio, and get to work. Good no brainer time. It also allows you to inspect your brass one case at a time.
Without a TV you would be surprised how much other work can get done.

DIRT Farmer
02-05-2013, 10:54 PM
The muzzle loaders don't need brass trimed but do eat patches. I hit the fabric store and buy the end pices of flannel at a considerable dscount amd use a rolling cutter, just start on the folded fabric as it comes to me sometimes 6 or 8 thick. A gallon freezer bag full in just a few minuites.