PDA

View Full Version : ?? on my 45 acp

gray wolf
07-22-2007, 07:37 PM
I have said hello before but it's been a while so I will say Hi !! again.
just melted down some W/W's. and I will be casting for my Springfield 45 acp.
I will be using an R C B S mould #82046 200 gr. sw with 2 lube rings.
I haven't tried this mould yet and it is the only one I have.
any comments on this mould are welcome
My powders are Bulls eye, tite grp. and long shot. I will be going for target loads 750-850 f.p.s. I guess my most important ?? is about the W/W metal.
I would like to use it as is, or a little tin if I don't get good fill out. I could water drop if needed. Do you folks think I will get good shooting results doing this?
My gun shoots lazer cast .452 with very, very little leading. That's what i will size to. I was thinking about carnuba red or bees wax and a little J.P.W. melted together 70% bees wax and 30% of the paste wax. (comments)
My main concern is the leading with strait W/W.

Thanks guy's

Halfbreed
07-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Hello, and welcome to the boards.
I shoot a Ruger P-97 .45acp, I use straight ww, mostly water quenched. But am going strictly air cooled from now on. I also size mine to .452 with very little leading. I have not used the JPW method, but have only heard good about it. I like 50/50 beeswax and alox, also 50/50 beeswax and high pressure lithium grease. I like to experiment with differant lubes. Each to his own here, you never know what a particular firearm will like till you try them. If the bullets are a good fit in the bbl, then there should be no trouble with the straight WW's.
Hope this helps, John

gray wolf
07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Thank you John
I guess if I need a little larger boolet I could polish out the die to .4525.
But i think .452 will work.

SharpsShooter
07-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Straight wheel weights will not be a problem. You might consider .453 diameter if you are seeing leading with .452 to possible improve the fit. Slugging the bore will answer the size question. 4.5gr of Bullseye has been my standard with a 200gr SWC for many years.

SS

Lloyd Smale
07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
ive yet to see a 1911 that didnt do its best work with a 452 bullet. I also yet to see a 1911 that didnt do better as the alloy got harder.

ANeat
07-23-2007, 12:31 AM
ive yet to see a 1911 that didnt do its best work with a 452 bullet. I also yet to see a 1911 that didnt do better as the alloy got harder.

Thats interesting, As the alloy gets harder the bullet comes out of the mold larger. It also goes thru a sizer larger as the harder alloy springs back more.

That being said I get fantastic results in my bullseye guns with a 50/50 mix of WW and pure lead with 2% tin added. After casting I push them thru a .453 sizer and use carnuba red lube. They actually measure .4525 coming out of the sizer. Before this I was shooting Star swaged lead bullets (pure lead) that were .452 but always got just a touch of leading just past the chamber.

Since Star closed shop I tried several different bullet styles. I had a good supply of WW and pure lead so I was determined to use a mix. The Stars always delivered good accuracy so I knew if I got the size right a softer alloy wouldnt be a problem. Several off the shelf molds were giving me bullets that were undersized. I ended up having Ballisticast cut me a mold that would throw the right size bullet.
Since going that route I get zero leading in my guns and great accuracy.

I think I main point as others have said is get a bullet set up that will fit your gun. Either by doing as I did with a oversized mold to counteract the softer alloy or checking to see that the bullets are the correct size using your alloy. I have encountered some off the shelf molds that throw small bullets even with WW so it should be checked. If your mold throw small bullets with your mix you will need a harder mix just to get the size up.

Your alloy should be plenty hard. A quality load can be had with TG or Bullseye in the 4 to 4.5 grain range. I havent had any experience with Longshot.

Adam

NVcurmudgeon
07-23-2007, 01:13 AM
After using 3.5 to 4.0 Bullseye for many years, I swicthed to 4.5 gr. WW 231. It seems to burn a little cleaner. My Gold Cup slugs .4515", so I tried sizing to .451" and .452". .452 has a little edge in accuracy. I never bothered with quenching, straight WW, or WW + 2% tin are plenty hard for 750-800 fps!

Lloyd Smale
07-23-2007, 06:17 AM
the harder alloys tend to do better in 1911s because the bullets will deform less feeding and most semi auto pistols tend to have shallower rifling then a revolver and the harder alloys will grab the rifling a lttle better. I know when i shot bullseye years ago just about anyone that was winning with cast casted out of lineotype for there matches and softer alloys for practice. The accuracy testing ive done on probably 20 differnt 1911 has shown me that harder alloys do help. Its actually one place where i stray from my dislike of water dropped bullets. Id like to cast them all out of linetype buy dont want to use my stash up so all of my acp bullets anymore are usually water dropped ww with a little tin added. In bullseye or even ppc the differnce in a 1/8 of an inch group means the diffence in points on the target and ill take any advantage i can.

gray wolf
07-23-2007, 09:31 AM
This is great info. I love to learn things and you folks are great.

I will sit here and take it in for a while. :coffee: When I have a question I will chime in.
Just to let you all know I am still listening.
any info on that mould # that I mentioned ? or is it not important ?

Thanks again

ANeat
07-23-2007, 11:25 AM
LLoyd I may have to try that just for kicks the next time I get the Ransom rest out. I know some guys get exellent accuracy out of the Nosler 185jhp bullets and shoot those at 50 yards. If straight lino is that much better it might be worth it to have a few for those big matches. Personally I can shoot in the 90's most of the time at 50 yards with the bullets I use so I dont think Im giving away to much.

I wonder if its as much a factor as the linotype just casting a extremely accurate and consistent bullet as much as it is a harder bullet??

One thing on the feeding and rifling, recovered bullets that I shoot have always showed very good engagement with the rifling and no damage from feeding. That is something I was concerned with, especially striping the rifling.
Even when shooting the Stars (which were very soft) fired bulets always looked good.

UweJ
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Hello Grey Wolf
I´m using the same mold on my Springfield Trophy Match.My load is 4.3 grains of bullseye for target shooting.On mine I have to size them down to .451 though,got a tight barrel for comp. shooting.
Uwe

MtGun44
07-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I have and use the RCBS mold which is basically a copy of the
H&G 68. I have fired at least 150,000 of these in the last 27 yrs
in IPSC competition in many different versions of the 1911.

While this bullet style is great for IPSC because the longer nose helps
it to feed reliably, it is not the tops for accuracy if you're trying
for absolutely the best possible groups.

In my experience the old shortnosed target bullets like the 452460
will shoot quite a bit tighter in a good tight 1911 than the H&G
68 class bullets with the longer noses. The price is that many
pistols will not feed the shortnosed bullets reliably.

In some recent testing, I got pretty good accy with 452460 with
my normal IPSC load of 4.7 Titegroup, but the groups tightened
up quite a bit when I dropped to 3.5 gr, trying to copy the old
3.5 Bulleseye which was the consensus target loads when 2700
Bullseye matches were the rage.

Try out some 452460s or H&G 130s or one of those designs in
front of 3.5 Bullseye or Titegroup, and if it will feed in your pistol
and your diameter is .452", I'll bet you get 1" or so for 5 shots at
25 yds. with a good 1911. Now, my old worn Gold Cup can't do
that, but my Dan Wesson Pointman 7 sure will.

Bill

gray wolf
07-23-2007, 05:10 PM
That's a lot of good info on the mould and really helps me.
Like I said: my gun shoots .452 lazer cast r/n pretty good. Yes they are a hard bullet, but from the info here I think the W/W metal should do fine.
Air or water dropped. I also have lots of pure lead for my smoke pole that I can add (not much) maybe 1-10?? and of course theres always a little tin 1or 2%.
I have always wondered about that 3.5 bulls eye load. Was using 4.3 of it on the r/n. I will try the 3.5.
As far as the #82046 feeding ?? I think I will be ok. I had some dummy rounds in my dummy round box that were hollow point. Golden sabres, some were shoved way into the cases from being loaded so many times. I mean like really short and they feed fine, A little ka-chunk when the slide drops but they fed O K.
I like the longer bearing surface on this bullet and the extra lube.

This is great, a very nice exchange of thoughts and ideas. :drinks: