PDA

View Full Version : Alliant STEEL powder

Treetop
02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
I tried to search this forum by typing in "alliant steel" and got 63 pages of threads! I've never had much luck using the search tools...

Anyhow, necessity being the mother of invention, I have over 2 lbs. of Alliant STEEL on hand, which I will never use again, because of my second back surgery. So, I looked it up on the relative burn rate chart and it falls in between Alliant 2400 and Hodgdon H-110.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates_121211.pdf

I hate to keep using my "regular" cast boolit powders, under the present, uncertain circumstances, so I was wondering if anyone has already tried STEEL in something like the .45 Colt or .44 Magnum or even in the .30 caliber rifles?

My apologies, if this topic has been covered before, I really did try to search for it first! Tt.

Bullshop
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
There was a thread about a month ago with a lot of information about Alliant Steel in cast rifle loads.

Treetop
02-05-2013, 01:11 AM
Thanks Bullshop! Does anyone remember who the OP was? Maybe I could look it up that way...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. If I want to look for any thread titles in the cast boolit sub forum, I should be able to go to the cast boolit sub forum, click on the search button, click on advanced search, type in "alliant steel", click on search titles only, and submit it, right?

Why am I getting page after page of topics that have neither "alliant" or "steel" in their titles? Tt.

runfiverun
02-05-2013, 02:10 AM
12 grs in the 44 mag and a 240 works very well
it's on par with 10 grs of unique.
same loading with a 250 in the 45 colt is nice also.
theres more there to get, it's similar to blue-dot only not as touchy.
and more bulky.

Bullshop
02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I get the same thing when I do a search. I thought it was bringing up every post that has a search word in it.
Anyway I made several posts in the thread. Maybe you could search my posts from last month.

geargnasher
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
I had trouble finding metallic cartridge data for it, and after seeing what it looked like I understood why. The flakes are about the size of frisbees and work best in a sliding-bar type measure, in LARGE charge weights. Never did get around to trying it in .45 Colt standard-pressure loads, but it might work well with a Lee dipper. I have no clue where to start, but you might extrapolate some data and start really low using Dacron for a filler at first to help avoid SEE. When you got to a reasonable velocity with the boolit of your choice, the Dacron could be deleted and the load tuned as necessary.

Gear

runfiverun
02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
even in shotshell loads i have found it best to just weigh it.
it will vary in weight.

i know dan was working it volume wise and got some good results,in his rifle thread.

Fluxed
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Many forum search engines are pretty poor. Next time you need to search, go to Google and enter your search this way:

"alliant steel" site:castboolits.gunloads.com

Just change out "alliant steel" for whatever you're trying to find.

Bullshop
02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
I found it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171896-Alliant-Steel

Treetop
02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks to Fluxed for the search information and thanks to Bullshop for taking the time to find that thread! Tt.