PDA

View Full Version : Since the Reloading world went nuts, can I rebuild a 450 or 4500?

P.K.
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Since I can't touch one new, and I get sniped on you know where, if I came across parts how hard is it to rebuild one to serviceablility? Provided the cylinder, ram, handle etc are present.:coffee:

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I've built and re-built several 45's from boxes of parts I bought here. they are easy if you have everything or can manufacture a part that is missing, because Lyman doesn't have any parts for them, except the pressure screw and pressure nut. This thread may help you, if you find a 45 that needs help. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166565-Lyman-45-buying-guide-and-cleanup-instructions

The 450 and 4500 should be easier, as Lyman has many of the parts for them.
but it depends on what the main problem is. "theprofessor" fixed/rebuilt a 450 with a sloppy ram, that looks like a huge task and you'd need a mill and a machinist. Of course he did an awesome job.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26528-Lyman-450-Luber-Sizer-Rebuild

Good Luck,
Jon

P.K.
02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Appreciate the links Jon, just what I was looking for. Currently anything that looks to be serviceable is going fast for higher than usual ammounts on the usual sites. I have found a couple of estate boxes by the looks of them and decided to go the rebuild route for the learning experiance. O-rings, thread restoration etc should be fine light duty work for my bench.

David2011
02-06-2013, 11:14 AM
About 6 years ago I rebuilt a very old 450. The lady that took my order at Lyman was extremely helpful, even suggesting an upgrade handle and a package of parts that cost less than individual items. I don't remember the finer details this far down the road but it was painless to get the parts, the repair was easy and it wasn't expensive. At that time I think it was about $35 or $40 to replace everything including the nuts and bolts and it works like new.

David

P.K.
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
About 6 years ago I rebuilt a very old 450. The lady that took my order at Lyman was extremely helpful, even suggesting an upgrade handle and a package of parts that cost less than individual items. I don't remember the finer details this far down the road but it was painless to get the parts, the repair was easy and it wasn't expensive. At that time I think it was about $35 or $40 to replace everything including the nuts and bolts and it works like new.

David

David,

Thanks for that info. I am hoping for a similar experiance. My "finds" look to be in decent shape aside from the usual suspects of moisture and time spent collecting dust. Of course anything that hasn't been used as a boat anchor should have a bright future on the bench.

P.K.
02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Well I guess being patiant pays off, or maybe the seller calling it a "Lubricator" did. ;-)
I'll have to wait and see if Lyman gets a call about spare parts and what not. Not one of the "parts kits" I had my eyes on but a long shot that paid off.

P.K.
02-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Since this will be my cherry I got to looking at it and I might get a couple, well one freebie out of it. Looks like a top punch is still attached.

Huskerguy
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
I had an older 450 given to me and it was a mess. Cleaned up real nicely but the center bolt had a broken part where it spins in the bottom plate. You can get everything from Lyman. Get a new O-ring kit that goes on the center bolt, it is a set and makes a huge difference. Everything else is adjustments and parts. Now finding the dies and punches you want is another story.

P.K.
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Well I just got it in the door, same shape as the pic's. Jon, I'll be using your tutorial to tear it down and clean it up. It did come with a couple of goodies, a .358 sizer and a #416 top punch.

Ed in North Texas
02-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I'd recommend replacing the reservoir "nut" of that 45 with the newer 450 model (if it already hasn't been done) - they exchange with no problem.

Rebuilding the 450 is no problem as long as the cast body is in good condition (if not, might as well haunt auction sites for another one). The threaded rod in the reservoir is easily replaced, all other parts are available. There isn't really much to these, just have to clean them out to work on them.

P.K.
02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
I'd recommend replacing the reservoir "nut" of that 45 with the newer 450 model (if it already hasn't been done) - they exchange with no problem.

Rebuilding the 450 is no problem as long as the cast body is in good condition (if not, might as well haunt auction sites for another one). The threaded rod in the reservoir is easily replaced, all other parts are available. There isn't really much to these, just have to clean them out to work on them.

Ed, do you have a pic or a description? I've torn it down and hoping all the "Squid Snot" comes out of that pair of jeans I was wearing. :bigsmyl2:

I'll shoot a couple later, one odd thing is the res cover isn't a solid dust cover. More like a cast iron bird cage you see protecting old flywheels. Pic's to follow.

P.K.
03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Well got it cleaned up, put it back togeather and it works like a champ. I didn't have any paint on hand except cammo colors so it looks the same as the previous pictures. Here's what it spits out. ;-)

Dunno what color to call the lube, I was shooting for UK blue but it's not quite that, and a darn sight better then the robins egg blue it was before.:grin: