PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 721 Trigger Adjustment?

joeb33050
07-30-2005, 06:26 AM
Before I start turning these screws, can anyone tell me how to adjust this trigger? If not, I'll start turning. Yes I will!
joe b.

David R
07-30-2005, 07:44 AM
I have a 700. One screw is for overtravel, but i can't remember which one it is. One is for spring tesnsion, and one is for forward travel. If you buy a spring from Midway it will help with trigger pull. I bought a 9 oz spring, I didn't get a 9 oz trigger, nor did I want one, but it did help a lot. Spring was $5.00. I think it ended up 30 oz.

Hope this helps.

Scrounger
07-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I have a 700. One screw is for overtravel, but i can't remember which one it is. One is for spring tesnsion, and one is for forward travel. If you buy a spring from Midway it will help with trigger pull. I bought a 9 oz spring, I didn't get a 9 oz trigger, nor did I want one, but it did help a lot. Spring was $5.00. I think it ended up 30 oz.

Hope this helps.

Disregard my instructions from memory which apparently is wrong. The referenced web page explains it well. But 'lawyerits' warns you not to go under 3 pounds. That's OK for most usage, but offhand shooting really needs a light trigger. And these triggers will safely go under 1 pound. I never had an AD or failure to function at that level.

Herb in Pa
07-30-2005, 09:33 AM
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2a18a.html

RayO
07-31-2005, 11:40 AM
On the 721, the screw at the back of the trigger sets the sear engagement.In front,the top screw is for overtravel and the bottom one is for weight of pull.

fourarmed
08-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Before starting to twist screws on a 721 trigger, it is a pious idea to take the unit apart and inspect it carefully for burrs around the pin holes in the housing, and on the various parts. At the factory pull weight, they seldom cause trouble, but if you try to lighten the pull very much, they can prevent the trigger from returning to engage the sear. I have had this happen, and I was not going for a particularly light pull.