PDA

View Full Version : CWP classes and ammo shortage

Jim
02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
As most know by now, there's been a rush on concealed handgun permit class applications. The Floyd Cty. Sheriff told me recently he's done more background checks for CWP apps in the last 60 days than in the entire previous year.

For every student that signs up for a class, a box of handgun ammunition is required for the student to qualify. Applications have multiplied at an exponential rate and the availability of ammo is declining just about as fast in the opposite direction.

Little ol' Floyd County doesn't amount to a drop in the bucket compared to the entire nation, but the problem is certainly manifesting here. I'm getting calls from people that have found my card and asking "Where can I get a box of XYZ caliber ammo?"

So, if people can't find handgun ammo just to qualify with to pass a CWP class, It looks to me like this shortage is going to seriously affect people being able to get their permits.

Of course, if any given state does not require a live fire exercise to get a permit, all this is a moot point. But in the states that do require, this is going to be a problem. Kinda' like you can't take a driving exam to get a driver's license if there's no gasoline to be had for the vehicle.

MUSTANG
02-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Jim:

What I am seeing is a lot of use of .22LR to meet shooting skill demonstration for both Revolver and Semi-Auto's. CCW class participants actually standing in lines to use the .22LR's for qualification while having major calibers on their hips. Some Instructors will not let attendees do this, others will.

Mustang

rockrat
02-03-2013, 12:15 PM
In the Denver area, there is so much interest in CCW, that one department is limiting applicants to 40 per week and another, you have to make an appointment to apply, currently the wait time is up to April. So far, people have enough ammo around here, but don't know how long that will last.

Hardcast416taylor
02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Back when I helped run concealed classes at a local gun club we would ask the applicants to bring 75 rounds, to prove proficency with the handgun to us before the actual 50 round course. This shortage of ammo may make the class of students yell "BANG" 50 times to complete the course!Robert

chrisw
02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
when I took my class in NC we where required to shoot the pistol we planned on carrying as a legal requirement. I took it so long ago...

luckily for VA my hunter safety is all that's required, no live fire necessary!

HATCH
02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I took my cwp class when SC first came out with their permit. It took 100rds.
50 for practice and 50 for test.

My new Hampshire non-res permit expires this month on the 28th.
Guess i need to get the Utah permit now.

MUSTANG
02-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Back when I helped run concealed classes at a local gun club we would ask the applicants to bring 75 rounds, to prove proficiency with the handgun to us before the actual 50 round course. This shortage of ammo may make the class of students yell "BANG" 50 times to complete the course!Robert

Sounds somewhat like Boot Camp in the Corps many years ago when we had no money and were referred to as Baby Killers by the educated elite. The Drill Instructors would state: "Recruits never run out of ammo." In squad training drills Riflemen were told to lay down a well aimed rate of fire, yelling Bang for each shot. Automatic Riflemen were instructed to provide a well aimed and timed rate of fire with 3 to 10 round bursts, timed by yelling BUDDA_BUDDA-BUDDA. Worked well for developing not only Fire Team and Squad attack profiles, but also for developing fire discipline and well aimed shooting (providing the recruit actually worked on the mechanics of shooting in the drill). All the while keeping costs under control. By the way, by the time recruits actually got to the range for qualifications with live ammo, very few went unqualified, most hitting at least Marksman (USMC ranges from Marksman, Sharpshooter, to Expert) starting on day one.

Mustang

Love Life
02-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Ahhh the look of shame people had when they earned their pizza box on the range...

DLCTEX
02-03-2013, 04:09 PM
I checked with the instructor for our course being held Saturday and a minimum of 32 cal. is required (Texas). He is going to check with DPS to see if a wavier can be granted to allow 22 cal. due to ammo shortage.

TXGunNut
02-03-2013, 04:59 PM
I checked with the instructor for our course being held Saturday and a minimum of 32 cal. is required (Texas). He is going to check with DPS to see if a wavier can be granted to allow 22 cal. due to ammo shortage.

Pretty sure that will need to be addressed in the coming months. I think they should waive the range portion for all renewals but that will have to come from Austin. I'd rather see a CHL student demonstrate safe loading, unloading and carry methods than the "qualification" course currently used in TX. I've passed tougher courses with my eyes closed or diverted, often carrying on a conversation with the RO. I see so many CHL students stressing about the range portion and that bothers me. The important part of that course is in the classroom, not on the range.

2wheelDuke
02-03-2013, 09:41 PM
It's about the opposite here. I don't see any .22lr on the shelf, but I have seen common handgun ammo.

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Speaking of boot camp qualification, money was so tight when I was in boot camp at Great Lakes we got 5 rounds of 22L R and 5 rounds of 45 ACP. They could not afford more. Yes that was the time we even had to buy our own toilet rolls on the outside and stash them in our lockers.

frkelly74
02-03-2013, 11:33 PM
The walmart today had 22 short ammo and full house 44 mag. Nothing in between.

Do they as a rule allow handloads?

TXGunNut
02-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Texas does not allow handloads or factory reloaded ammo. Students who plan on carrying a semi-auto must qualify with one. TXDPS looked at several other states' rules before writing ours so suspect that will be the rule most places.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-04-2013, 12:22 AM
no live fire needed here

but the ammo shelves are very bare that said you could still get a few rounds of anything saturday at the local dealer , you might be using 30 doallar a box winchester hollow points or 20 dollar a box of 25 zombie ammo but there was some available

well , 22lr was the most sparse , you could have 9-10 boxes of 100 rounds in mini mags or standard velocity , or you could have the 300 round bulk pack of Troy from swamp people 22lr for about 28 dollars

my brother was at gander and you could have all the 45acp you wanted at 25 dollars a box , but they were out of 22lr except for some specialty stuff.

I was at walmart monday night you could have all the #8 shot 12 or 20 ga shot shells you could get in a cart but they only had 3 boxes of sub sonics in 22lr

shooterg
02-05-2013, 12:07 AM
I sold a brick of .22 to a club member today for $25 - he teaches the NRA basic handgun class quite often but got caught napping on the shortage.. Almost kept it after he asked how much I paid for it ! Can't replace it at any price right now. I expect the shortage is going to cause a decrease in organized competition attendance - as a Match Director that concerns me.

dakotashooter2
02-05-2013, 01:58 PM
LOL just track down someone with a "factory box" and stuff your handloads in it...................

What do they do if you plan on carrying both..........................?

Hardcast416taylor
02-05-2013, 04:02 PM
I recall seeing the film footage of Army recruits training before shipping off to France in WW 1. There was such a shortage of both rifles and training ammo of any kind that the recruits had broom handle "rifles" and would yell BANG when on a drill in the pits. About the same thing almost happened at the outset of WW 2, few rifles or ammo.Robert

km101
02-05-2013, 06:01 PM
LOL just track down someone with a "factory box" and stuff your handloads in it...................

What do they do if you plan on carrying both..........................?

In TX if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify with a semiauto you can carry either. Or both! LOL

DLCTEX
02-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Texas does not allow handloads or factory reloaded ammo. Students who plan on carrying a semi-auto must qualify with one. TXDPS looked at several other states' rules before writing ours so suspect that will be the rule most places.
Don't tell our instructors about the no handloads rule, I never heard it and used them all three times I have qualified. Maybe it's don't ask, don't tell?

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2013, 07:51 PM
What do you mean by HAND LOADS?

You can NOT reload cartridges.

Everyone knows that.:bigsmyl2:

30CAL-TEXAN
02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I don't recall reading it or anyone telling us we couldn't use reloads for qualification but I have slept since then.

Do you have the specific document that stated this?

km101
02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Don't tell our instructors about the no handloads rule, I never heard it and used them all three times I have qualified. Maybe it's don't ask, don't tell?

Your instructor could lose his license if he gets caught letting his students use reloads. It not an option. You might not want to say anything more about it, as you could lose yours if he gets caught. :)

Frank46
02-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Was at our local wally world today for some shopping. Checked out the ammo and there was no pistol and very little rifle ammo. Shotgun shells were there but not the usual huge display like one normally sees. While standing there three folks asked about 9mm. The salesman showed them the empty shelves. Frank

km101
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't recall reading it or anyone telling us we couldn't use reloads for qualification but I have slept since then.

Do you have the specific document that stated this?

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

This is from the DPS website on CHL information, at the FAQ section, under Training Information, question #27. It even says that they "recommend" SAAMI certified ammo, but I guess that is not required. LOL

My instructor says that during the instructor's course and during their tange training they were told "factory ammo only" and their ammo was checked at the range. FWIW

geargnasher
02-06-2013, 10:33 PM
One of our local instructors provides the ammo that will be used, purchased at at a discount from the range store and paid for by the students. It's cheaper than buying it anywhere else around that way, and the range keeps a very large stockpile for times such as these, so nobody really complains.

Gear