PDA

View Full Version : Just finnished up... BONANZA!!!!

The Dust Collector
07-21-2007, 07:21 PM
The manufacturer that I am employed with repalaced a very old roof on part of their building. The old roof was a complete tear off. I am the engineer that contracted the work. During the process of tearing off the old roofing I discovered that the original roof was lead sheeting with tinned joints. The lead sheeting was fisrt covered with several layers of tar paper and on top of that was hot tar and pea gravel. For the most part, the lead sheeting was easily separated from the other roofing materials. I instructed my contractor to save this lead sheeting for me which he did. MINE ! MINE ! ALL MINE!!!
I started melting this down earlyThursday morning stopped for the day in the evening early start again in the morning and finnished about 4 P.M. this afternoon. I have a propane set up that will handle about 250 pounds per melt in about 30 minutes. I used bread loaf pans to make bricks of +/- 53 pounds each.
I now have an additional 184, aprox. 53 lbs. each bricks !
Now to put this away.... This is to much work on a man's vaccation ! +/_ 9752 pounds ! That's 4.8 tons! BTW, I had help... for the price of home cooked meals and cold ones. The cost per pound ? ( 250 lb. bottle of propane, chicken, steaks, beer ) Who cares ? [smilie=w:
Your Servant DUST

targetshootr
07-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice going. I smelted only 4 buckets today and I'll probably feel it for a week.

Blammer
07-21-2007, 08:42 PM
talk about a bunch!

nice score!

no more scrounging for you eh?

trk
07-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Did you get enough to share? :)

rroberts
07-21-2007, 11:26 PM
I think the MINE!!! MINE!!!ALL MINE!!!!! answers that question. ;)

hunter64
07-22-2007, 12:09 AM
rroberts: Is it pure lead or some kind of a mix? If it is pure lead then you can trade it off for some WW's and double your amount of lead that you could use for bullets and be set for life. Hell, you are already set for life. Nice score.

OLPDon
07-22-2007, 04:09 AM
Dust:
How long will that lead last ya??? I'm sure someone could break down how many rounds per day for how many years????????????

So after someone comes up with how long "YOU CAN SEND THE REST TO!!!!!"
(See Below)

Yours Truly
Don[smilie=1:

Bret4207
07-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Good for you! Now to build a boolit trap so you can re-use it.

RayinNH
07-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Dust, good score. Keep collecting though. Just ask Lloyd Smale, at the pace he's been shooting lately, that would barely last him the rest of the summer. :-D...Ray

hunter64
07-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Bret4207: Exactly, I have been thinking about making my own bullet trap to take to the range. I saw one for .22lr ammo only and it was very light and easy to haul with you. I think I will design one similar but use heavier steel so that I can shoot with my .44 mag. My only real problem would be the weight it would have to be to withstand .44 mag hits. I was thinking of making the front into a square funnel type arrangement with 1/2 steel on the back top and 1/4 on the sides and bottom. Then at the end of the cone at the back I was thinking of maybe some kind of baffle system or a series of 2 inch pipes spiraling into a tray at the bottom. When the bullet hit the back plate it would deflect down into the pipe and spin around to the bottom and collect into a tray. I was just thinking of someway of stopping the momentum without having to use a lot of steel baffles in the in term and thus save a lot of extra weight.

axman
07-22-2007, 02:13 PM
200grs each 341,320 and at 200 per day=1706 days.

300grs each 227,546 and at 200 per day=1137 days.

400grs each 170,660 and at 200 per day=853 days.

500grs each 136,528 and at 200 per day=682 days.

But who would shoot just puny 200gr bullets.

OLPDon
07-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Axman:
Thanks for the info that is only 4.67397260274 yrs.

Dust you better start looking for more Lead and that is with the puny 200gr'ers.
You might consider shoot 224's. By the way that Boolit trap better be a large one for that much Lead!
Axman, how many Lbs of Powder will he need?
Hmmmm makes me think that the 800 or so Lbs. I have hoarded away ant going to do it. Should I give up and sell my mould ect. and take up Knife throwing or Ax throwing?:confused:

Dust keep on keeping on. Hope you make your own FWFL you will be giving them BEES a workout.
Don

Blammer
07-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I want to know who would shoot 200 rnds of 500 gr bullets in a day?

Blammer
07-22-2007, 08:19 PM
so 50 gr boolits for 1706x4= a bunch....

waksupi
07-22-2007, 09:57 PM

Ah, I see you don't shoot BPCR........

45nut
07-23-2007, 05:17 AM

Been there,done that. not really that far out the gates of reality for a lotta shooters.

imashooter2
07-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Now that's a nice pile... Congrats on the big score and completion of the big chore. That'd keep me shooting for the rest of my life. Hell, it'd have my daughter's husband cursing me as he hauled off the remains of his crazy old father in law's stash after I'm gone.:)

Bass Ackward
07-23-2007, 08:10 AM
9752 X $1.41 = $13,750.32

Does that put it in perspective for ya?

OLPDon
07-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Bass
Therefore Dust Could Save Thousands of $$$$$$$ to distribute his Lead to Us. With the money saved he could buy a outstanding Boat, but then again he would need lead for sinkers. Bring us back to that circle of lead as the center point of that endless search for more Lead!!!!!!!!
Which gives point to [smilie=1: "If it has Boobs, Tires or Lead sooner or later its going to give you a problem"[smilie=1:
What say you?
Don

scrapcan
07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
I have been thinking for quite sometime that the housing from a large diesel engine turbo would be a great spin down spiral on a bullet trap. I just have not found one that someone wants to part with just the housing.

Nice score and sounds like it was a good time had by those who participated in the meltdown.

The Dust Collector
07-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Just got word today that similarly configured roof is to be evaluated for possible replacement if I deem it necessary. This is a much larger roof than the one that I just had replaced. I'm going to take a core sample of the existing roofing to see what is what, but at this time, I am quite sure that the original covering was lead as well. If this is the case, well...............

DUST

MarkK
07-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Whoa another roof... Hey, lets see some pics! What does 9000+ lbs of lead look like?:mrgreen:

mtgrs737
07-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Years ago I made a bullet trap for use in my basement in town. It was 5/16" plate about 30" square, at the bottom of the plate I welded a 5" dia. 1/4" wall steel pipe with a slot cut the length of it so that a bullet would slide down the steel plate and through the slot and then circle the pipe to hit another piece of steel welded to the same slot as the plate only on the front of the slot. Stopped all pistol bullets I threw at it and to clean it out I removed one of the end covers on the pipe and raked out the bullets or what was left of them. The angle of the back plate was less than 45 degrees more like 30 degrees if I remember right. I also welded 2" angle iron on the top and sides of the back plate to help with the bullet splash. It worked fairly well. The bullet hits the back plate, rides down the plate through the slot and around the diameter of the pipe then hits the long narrow piece of flat bar welded to the front of the slot cut into the pipe and protruding down inside of the pipe. It was cheap to make as I made it out of scrap steel from a manufacturer I worked at.

imashooter2
07-25-2007, 07:00 AM
So let me get this straight... They are letting the guy that wants the lead off the bottom layer decide if the roof needs replacing? Doesn't seem prudent to me.[smilie=l:

hunter64
07-25-2007, 08:18 AM
mtgrs737: How heavy was the bullet trap? I sort of get your general outlay of the trap, could you do a quick sketch and post it. I am very interested in building my own trap. I shoot about 80% pistol and .22 and if I could recover a lot of bullets it would be easier than trying to find used WW's.

The Dust Collector
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
After I wrote the last post it occurred to me that someone would think that I may have a conflict of interest. Rest assured that I don't. I have a position in which a great deal of trust has been placed in me that I have earned that trust and do never plan on betraying that trust ! I have a budget that has to go a long way through out the year. I have a good job, I like it, I'm paid well for my services and I would have nothing to gain by tearing this roof off prematurely just to gain some lead of which I already have plenty of. Sooner or later a new roof will be mandated. My decission will be based on need of replacement, not on some whim! If the lead is here today, it will be here tommorow. Only then will this scrap will become available to me. To be quite honest, I would resent it greatly if anyone would suggest otherwise!
I figure the this may have been suggested in jest, and I have not any hard feelings with that. But, for the seriously minded individuals I thought that I would mention my feelings as stated above.

DUST

imashooter2
07-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I was just busting on you. That's what the smilie was for. We're all friends here. :)

The Dust Collector
07-25-2007, 02:09 PM
I have no doubt that you were just getting in with a few grins. I suppose that I'm the one that should lighten up! :-D Because of past experiences, I get a tad defensive at times, but if I don't stick up for myself, few will. I am a man of honor.
DUST:redneck:

targetshootr
07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
With the address and Mapquest, we could have that roof off asap. Or just the general area would do, then it would only be a matter of going house to house with a metal detector.

mazo kid
07-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I had a friend in Montana who used to order a ton of lead a year. (Waksupi, this was Tony). Now, that's a LOT of bullets down range! Emery

waksupi
07-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I had a friend in Montana who used to order a ton of lead a year. (Waksupi, this was Tony). Now, that's a LOT of bullets down range! Emery

And, he shot it up every year! Between him and Irene, they burned a lot of powder. I remember some guys ******** about Irene winning the old Virginia City, Mt. Buffler Runners match. They didn't think it was right a woman should win.
I told them to quit complaining. All they had to do, was out-shoot her!
Grumbling was still heard, as they vanished into the sunset.