PDA

View Full Version : RIP Chris Kyle

arjacobson
02-03-2013, 02:39 AM
I just heard Chris Kyle and another guy were murdered today at a shooting range... RIP and God speed.....

Hickory
02-03-2013, 06:21 AM
More information?

melter68
02-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Is no place safe.
Yes God speed and RIP.

Could we have more details please.

Just hope they catch the criminals who did this

P.K.
02-03-2013, 07:42 AM
More information?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/03/16823532-american-sniper-author-chris-kyle-fatally-shot-at-texas-gun-range?lite&ocid=msnhp&***=1 (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/03/16823532-american-sniper-author-chris-kyle-fatally-shot-at-texas-gun-range?lite&ocid=msnhp&***=1)

'American Sniper' author Chris Kyle fatally shot at Texas gun range

By Gil Aegerter and Alastair Jamieson, NBC News

A former Navy SEAL who wrote "American Sniper," a best-selling book about his lethal career as a marksman in Iraq, was shot to death with another man at a gun range near Stephenville, Texas, on Saturday.

Decorated former Navy SEAL marksman Chris Kyle, author of a new book about the super-secret military personnel who are assigned the most-dangerous missions, talks about some of the bloodiest battles of the war in Iraq.

Chris Kyle, 38, and the other man were found dead at the shooting range of Rough Creek Lodge on Saturday afternoon, Texas Highway Patrol spokesman Lonny Haschel told KXAS.

The gunman, identified as Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster, Texas, was arrested after a brief pursuit, Trooper Haschel said. The other victim was named as Chad Littlefield, aged 35.

Kyle, a Texas native who grew up hunting, served four tours in Iraq with Navy SEAL Team 3. His shooting during battles in Ramadi and Fallujah became legendary, and insurgents nicknamed him the "Devil of Ramadi" and put a bounty on his head.

He was credited with 160 confirmed kills, including one in 2008 in which he said he fired from 2,100 yards away -- 1.2 miles.

The Star-Telegram described him as "America's deadliest sniper."

Haschel said Routh is believed to have shot the victims at around 3:30 p.m. local time (4:30 p.m. ET) before leaving the shooting range and returning to his home in Lancaster in a Ford pickup truck.

The link between Routh and the two victims wasn't immediately clear, Haschel said. The Dallas Morning News reported that Routh was 25 years old and had military training.

Chris Kyle was credited with 160 kills during his time as a Navy SEAL marksman.

Rough Creek Lodge is a resort and conference center about 90 miles southwest of Dallas and 24 miles southeast of Stephenville in the Texas Hill Country. Lancaster is just south of Dallas.

In a February 2012 interview with NBC News, Kyle said he didn’t want to put the number in the book but the publisher insisted.

“If I could figure out the number of people I saved, that’s something I would brag about,” he told NBC News' Lester Holt.

After leaving the Navy, Kyle founded Craft International, which provides training to military, police, corporate and civilian clients, Reuters said.

"It just comes as a shock and it's staggering to think that after all Chris has been through, that this is how he meets his end, because there are so many ways he could have been killed" in Iraq, Scott McEwen, who co-wrote "American Sniper," told Reuters.

Kyle appeared on the NBC reality TV show "Stars Earn Stripes" last year.

Kyle was married with two children.

Fair Skies Chris and Chad, prayers out to the families.

Hickory
02-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Looks like the murder was after the bounty.

Fixxah
02-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Looks like the murder was after the bounty.

Seriously?

RIP Sir.

Hickory
02-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Seriously?

RIP Sir.

There are nut jobs who will kill for no reason,
Why not a nut who heard that about a bounty?
This is speculation, and nothing more.

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
a prayer for a fallen warrior said today.

P.K.
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Looks like the murder was after the bounty.I think that's a bit of a reach, the bounty was issued what 6-7 years ago? 8-9 depending on which version.

The perp, doesn't strike me as a whabbist, Al-Q wannabe. "Eddie Ray Routh" strikes me as a digruntled wannabe with either a past with Kyle or former/hopeful employee of Craft that either didn't make the cut or was cut loose. No details yet aside that everyone is running with the above version. My Yahoo-Fu only showed three sources at this time.

Hickory
02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
I think that's a bit of a reach, the bounty was issued what 6-7 years ago? 8-9 depending on which version.

The perp, doesn't strike me as a whabbist, Al-Q wannabe. "Eddie Ray Routh" strikes me as a digruntled wannabe with either a past with Kyle or former/hopeful employee of Craft that either didn't make the cut or was cut loose. No details yet aside that everyone is running with the above version. My Yahoo-Fu only showed three sources at this time.

Yea, it is a bit of a reach, but the qualifier( hope I spelled that right) is nuts.
To kill without just cause is crazy, and Cris Kyle would not strike me as someone
who would give cause to be shot in the head.
By the way, remember a couple of years ago, a guy was caught in Pakistan seeking
to collect the bounty on Osama's head.

WILCO
02-03-2013, 08:55 AM
By the way, remember a couple of years ago, a guy was caught in Pakistan seeking to collect the bounty on Osama's head.

Yep. Gary Faulkner. He was close to his intended target.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/call-him-crazy-but-bin-laden-bounty-hunter-wasnt-far-off/

pipehand
02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
We've got to stop publishing the names of the crazies that commit this sort of crime. It encourages the other crazies that want to "make a name for themselves."

drklynoon
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
pipehand, I completely agree. I also believe that a person who is charged with murder should not be photographed or videoed. If I had my way they would be behind a two way mirror during their trial.

Circuit Rider
02-03-2013, 10:58 AM
I heard on Fox News this morning that Chris and the other man were working with this 25 yo marine who had returned from combat and was diagnosed with PTSD. Chris had been doing this type of work for some time, according to the Fox report. They had turned their back on the young man, surprised Chris would do that, but must have thought he could trust him. CR

P.K.
02-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I heard on Fox News this morning that Chris and the other man were working with this 25 yo marine who had returned from combat and was diagnosed with PTSD. Chris had been doing this type of work for some time, according to the Fox report. They had turned their back on the young man, surprised Chris would do that, but must have thought he could trust him. CR

I too heard the same report, what a shame.

GabbyM
02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
They picked the man up yesterday a few hours after the killing. Seams the two deceased had taken this man shooting to get him out of the house. A vet with PTSD. I’d take a guess and say some prescription or street drugs played a big part in his mind warp.

At least those are the first reports from last night. Many times these stories change when more real facts come to light. Reporters tend to fill in any blanks then run a story.

rockrat
02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
To have survived the Sand Box and lose his life this way is unfathomable. At least he went trying to help someone else. That says alot about the man, right there.

R.I.P. and Godspeed to both of those killed and prayers to their families.

Boerrancher
02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Guys you are missing the point here. Over the last year look at the number of vocal pro second amendment, anti progressive, people who have been murdered or died mysteriously. Heck there was a list a few weeks ago on this very site about all of the mysterious deaths of those in the public eye. This story will be dropped from the media, and the killer will go to trial, be convicted, get transferred from institution to institution until he is lost track of. Then he will be back in the service of his government masters with a new name. It takes all of about 30 min to create a convincing looking military record. This is just one more body in a long string of them that will continue to grow. Mark my words, The United States of America is about to be fundamentally changed forever, there just needs to be a few more isolated deaths, and a few more mass shootings, and they will be happening soon. It is all part of fulfilling an agenda and a promise.

Joe

P.K.
02-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Guys you are missing the point here. Over the last year look at the number of vocal pro second amendment, anti progressive, people who have been murdered or died mysteriously. Heck there was a list a few weeks ago on this very site about all of the mysterious deaths of those in the public eye. This story will be dropped from the media, and the killer will go to trial, be convicted, get transferred from institution to institution until he is lost track of. Then he will be back in the service of his government masters with a new name. It takes all of about 30 min to create a convincing looking military record. This is just one more body in a long string of them that will continue to grow. Mark my words, The United States of America is about to be fundamentally changed forever, there just needs to be a few more isolated deaths, and a few more mass shootings, and they will be happening soon. It is all part of fulfilling an agenda and a promise.

Joe

Starting to sound like Long Knives....

shooterg
02-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Just read his book last month. How awful - he deserved so much more time with his wife and kids.

TXGunNut
02-03-2013, 02:10 PM
They picked the man up yesterday a few hours after the killing. Seams the two deceased had taken this man shooting to get him out of the house. A vet with PTSD. I’d take a guess and say some prescription or street drugs played a big part in his mind warp.

At least those are the first reports from last night. Many times these stories change when more real facts come to light. Reporters tend to fill in any blanks then run a story.

At the risk of trying to make sense of an act of insanity I'm thinking this explanation makes sense. There are some hints that suggest this may be very close to an accurate account. Seems the psychiatric drugs are playing a role in many, many senseless killings. Press won't touch that angle, tho.
RIP indeed, Chris Kyle. He deserved much better than that.

02-03-2013, 03:56 PM
A sad end to a true patriot.

Blacksmith
02-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Joe

If I was one of a group of five certain judges I'd be looking over my shoulder constantly. I hope they take extra precautions.

mnkyracer
02-04-2013, 01:16 AM
I too recently read Chris's book. Tragic end to a true American hero.

smoked turkey
02-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Prayers go out to the families involved who lost sons, husbands, and fathers. I agree with the idea that no names or pictures should be given since I believe that some want their names remembered for their crimes against society. Does not make sense, but then none of the shootings do. I think Boerrancher has a handle on it.

stubshaft
02-04-2013, 01:38 AM
A great American passes...

What a crying shame!

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-04-2013, 02:29 AM
A sad story. Perhaps it does not pay to become famous...

sleeper1428
02-04-2013, 04:40 AM
RIP, Cris - We won't forget you.

To his family - Fair winds and following seas ....

sleeper1428