PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Bought Tires Lately?

Hickory
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Man OH, Man.
I got 4 tires for the wife's HHR and they were over $800 just for the middle quality type tires.

And i see that health care will cost $20,000 per year by 2016.

Foods going up.

Gas is going up.

Guns and ammo is going up.

Insanity in DC is going up, but hasn't peaked.

What's next?

Harter66
02-02-2013, 08:20 PM
My GF bought a set of tires last spring 1200 for her expedition. I'm expecting to lay out 6-900 for a set for the ranger in August.

Kinda wish they'd put a dangerous goods tax on golf clubs. :-)

I wish my wages were included in what's going up.

fecmech
02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
What are you guys talking about. There's no inflation out there according to the Fed!

uscra112
02-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Yeah, bought new shoes for my over-the-road Ford van just before Christmas. Michelins, and they were about $180 apiece before installation. Set me back a bit to say the least, but I am secure in the knowledge that they'll last 80,000 miles or so, which for that van is five or six years.

cbrick
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
What are you guys talking about. There's no inflation out there according to the Fed!

Yep, it's all in your head. obummer says all is fine, he only needs your next several paychecks to pass around to his union buddies. But remember, your taxes will not go up, well except to pay for obummer care. Your grand kids are pretty much screwed but you'll be fine.

Rick

tinsnips
02-02-2013, 09:06 PM
I am getting tired of buying tires for my service pickups 10 ply tires are not cheap but the quality seems to be going down the tubes. My last set I got 22000 miles that's it . Gas went up 22 cents per gallon in two days . I don't think that is inflation that's a rip off.

41 mag fan
02-02-2013, 09:17 PM
welcome to democrat land

Reg
02-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Ya, I notice that everything is going up but wages and for those of us lucky enough to be on social security. Don't know about the rest of you but I got a 13.00 raise. Am going completely out of my ever loving mind trying to figure out how to spend it all .
Wonder if our fearless leaders would be happy with such a pittance.

:takinWiz:

Man OH, Man.
I got 4 tires for the wife's HHR and they were over $800 just for the middle quality type tires.

Foods going up.

Gas is going up.

What's next?

jcwit
02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I keep a watch out for new cars that get totaled. Bought a set from a Ford Truck that had been T-Boned by a semi truck. The Pick-up had less than 500 miles on it, got the tires for $30 bucks each, mounted and balanced.

Love Life
02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
You can also get deals on Craigslist and local sales papers.

Beerd
02-02-2013, 10:11 PM
so did ya pull the ww off your old tires first?

onceabull
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Had to reshoe the Mrs road chariot in Sparks(metro Reno) last June to get her home from NCBS '12.Not a fun experience since that's a high velocity machine.. Road tested northbound @ 104 mph by the speedo,and,it's not like an Illinois chronograph(you know the type, actual plus 30%...) -Onceaull

foesgth
02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
You don't understand. You don't need tires to take public transit to the welfare office.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-02-2013, 10:18 PM
We're getting old Hickory. That's what's going on.

Hickory
02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
so did ya pull the ww off your old tires first?

I got about a 1/3 bucket of ww.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
We're getting old Hickory. That's what's going on. Ya know, I've been thinking. A guy ought to liquidate all he has and put it into gold or cash and then tell everybody you are broke. Gobbermint money comes in, health card and housing. If I didn't have a conscience or self respect it would probably work. I'm glad I've got my conscience and self respect though. I'll plug away and keep my head up.

Hickory
02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
We're getting old Hickory. That's what's going on.

We're not only getting old, we're going broke in the process.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
I keep a watch out for new cars that get totaled. Bought a set from a Ford Truck that had been T-Boned by a semi truck. The Pick-up had less than 500 miles on it, got the tires for $30 bucks each, mounted and balanced.
Maybe or maybe not the same...
I buy my tires (used) at the same place I get my WW's.
the auto salvage yard...four 16's with more than half tread (for my Park Ave) $80 total
Jon

firefly1957
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Got 4 on my 2003 Impala couple weeks ago $399 out the door from a small local shop . He even installed lead wheel weights i asked about them but did not get much of an answer. These are 16" tires our Mercury has 17" tires and they are double the price last year 2 cheap ones were $400 +.

P.K.
02-02-2013, 10:44 PM
The 20 inch rims on my Dodge looked nice in the show room...

AviatorTroy
02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
The 20 inch rims on my Dodge looked nice in the show room...

Funny you mentioning that, my Ram is about due for 4 new 20s and I'm dreading it.

Bullwolf
02-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Had to put new front tires on the old 4x4 "Ford" just before Winter started. I won't mention just how much the pair of front tires cost, to spare the weak at heart.

I also had the distinct pleasure of hauling them into town.

I just saw that I have a slow leak on one of the rears, and I think that I am just going to plug it. I cant quite stomach the thought of replacing both of the rear tires at this point in time. I have managed to put a fair amount of road miles on tires repaired with the simple rubber tire plug. Good or bad, it's an inexpensive speedy repair that certainly works effectively.

If it ain't one thing it's another.

- Bullwolf

Gliden07
02-03-2013, 12:01 AM

That true there is no inflation, just higher prices due to the fact we have no "real" money to back our Dollar and owe everyone and there Mother for it!! But its not inflation!!

uscra112
02-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Ya gotta "Slime" yer tractor tires there, Bullwolf. I do mine, and also the pickup tires. Amazing stuff.

P.K.
02-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Funny you mentioning that, my Ram is about due for 4 new 20s and I'm dreading it.

If they are available go with the Cooper Dicoverer H/T 275-60R20's. I went to SEARS to have them done. About a c-note each under what Dodge wanted to replace with. Goodyears I think. IMO the Coop's wear, run quieter and offer better traction in all conditions. Just yesterday I was axle deep on one side in a ditch thanks to a hay trailer and no worries just backing out. The wife swore a blue streak from the time the transfer synced to the mud hitting the windsheild but I was able to get excellent traction thanks to the mildly aggressive sidewall lugs. For light duty, commute and medium hauling.( a total of 3 tons of material was hauled for my garden in the bed. Who knew RR ties weighed that much? ;-) )

Mud (as long as it's not OHV trails or a 3 foot hole on the way to the tree stand), rain, ice and snow traction are fantastic IMHO and will replace with these as needed.

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I think alot of it comes from the fact that theres hardly two vechicles on the road that take the same size tire. Used to be there were some specialty sizes that cost more now its more like there all specialty sizes.

P.K.
02-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I think alot of it comes from the fact that theres hardly two vechicles on the road that take the same size tire. Used to be there were some specialty sizes that cost more now its more like there all specialty sizes.

Or in my case, suckered in when the wife says "I really like these!" ;-)

ffg
02-03-2013, 09:40 AM

Just stand still and take it like a man !

shdwlkr
02-03-2013, 09:52 AM
running Toyo MT's on my pickup that has 20 inch rims. Not the cheapest tire but they do tend to keep you moving.
With spring coming need to get some summer tires for the truck just don't know what to get and hope I can find enough money to pay for them.
I have enjoyed this winter costing me way more than last and it just seems like so many others have said everything is going up but my income. Wonder where it will end.
Friday fueled the truck it is a diesel and fuel was %3.93 a gallon yesterday it was $3.97 a gallon and just a few weeks ago it was $3.43 a gallon. When I have the cash I get around 100 gallons at these prices I get what I need and not anymore just to much expense. Good thing is hopefully spring is coming and with it warm weather the diesel like warm weather.
Wonder if the Emperor will cut down on his golf, travel, his wife's travel and spending, what am I thinking they have over 200,000 paychecks to rob to fund what they want as dictators of us all.

Superfly
02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Ahhh quit your whinning LOL

Jk

Try putting 10 or more tires on a semi Tractor 500 bucks each or more and if you can leave for less then 5 Thousand dollars you did great My tractor and trailer has 22 tires. Steers just cost me 1122.00 for 2 and 3200 for the drives and 1500 each Xs three for the trailer Oh fun.

shdwlkr
02-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Superfly
My toyos run $500 per rim so you are not the only one dropping some change for tires. Only thing I am thankful for is that there is only four of them!

44man
02-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I just had 4 put on the wife's 4 Runner at Bob's tire. $680. He does not charge to mount, balance, new valve stems or to get rid of the old tires.
The dealer wanted $500 for 2 tires.
They even cleaned off the corrosion at the bead area before putting the new ones on. Aluminum rims.

TXGunNut
02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I work at a Ford dealer and am amazed at tire prices these days. Little known fact is that car dealers (big three, at least) have damn good prices and generally won't screw up your sensors or put on the wrong tires.
17 and 20 inch tires for half-ton trucks have actually gotten reasonable in the last few years but the 18" load range E (10 ply) tires for 3/4 ton and SRW 1 ton trucks will take your breath away! $300+ for normal all-terrain or road tires.
I think it's funny when a customer with a 500+hp Mustang needs new tires, they really didn't expect them racing tires to last, did they?

geargnasher
02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Ahhh quit your whinning LOL

Jk

Try putting 10 or more tires on a semi Tractor 500 bucks each or more and if you can leave for less then 5 Thousand dollars you did great My tractor and trailer has 22 tires. Steers just cost me 1122.00 for 2 and 3200 for the drives and 1500 each Xs three for the trailer Oh fun.

And people wonder why the price of everything they buy has gone up so much. They don't realize that every single item the average person purchases was delivered by a trucker, and that freight expenses have nearly doubled in four years. That's just ONE expense that's gone up. Imagine what the cost of running an EPA-compliant tire plant is.

Gear

Bad Water Bill
02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
If you think you are being taken you are correct.

Back in 1975 I bought a new van. I worked in the tire dept at Sears. They came out with their new tire THE ROADHANDLER made by Michelin. To encourage sales they offered employees with less than 10K on the car these for only $10.00 each mounted. Welll I put on all 4.[smilie=1:

About 3 months later Michelin wanted all of the tires sent back as they had determined there were problems with the tires.

Boy were there problems. For Michelin and Sears.

When the van went to the junk yard with over 250,000 on the van 3 of the 4 were STILL on the van.

The 4th was sacrificed when I had a choice of a 8" chuckhole or the truck that was heading my way in my lane.

Yes they CAN make tires that will last the life of the car but they will go broke in a hurry.

Errokk
02-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Man OH, Man.

Foods going up.

Gas is going up.

What's next?

Everything is going up and we the people are going down.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-04-2013, 02:35 AM
I'd be happy to trade the bill for four new tires (about 1500 miles in my future) for my old jag XK-8 convertible with any non-commercial vehicle. Sight unseen...
Twelve hundred and some change the last time, and they go about 20,000 a set.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2013, 06:38 AM
i recall one set of bfgs i bought for my last vette cost near 300 a piece and lasted less then 20k.
I work at a Ford dealer and am amazed at tire prices these days. Little known fact is that car dealers (big three, at least) have damn good prices and generally won't screw up your sensors or put on the wrong tires.
17 and 20 inch tires for half-ton trucks have actually gotten reasonable in the last few years but the 18" load range E (10 ply) tires for 3/4 ton and SRW 1 ton trucks will take your breath away! $300+ for normal all-terrain or road tires.
I think it's funny when a customer with a 500+hp Mustang needs new tires, they really didn't expect them racing tires to last, did they?

Sparky141
02-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Bullwolf I hear you .I have to replace the rears on my Ford 3000 . $500 each plus $ 50 each to unload the calcium and reload in the new ones .

oldfart1956
02-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Just noticed the thread. On the excellent advice of the folks here I put a set (4) of Blizzaks on the 2010 Toyota Corrolla. Took a week to get 'em as they hadda ship em' down from Vermont to here in south-central Pa.!! I wish I'd have done this sooner! It hasn't snowed since I put them on! Total cost was $550 and worth every penny. I did get into a bit of an ice-storm a week or so ago. Never spun a tire. Very quiet also which surprised me with the super-deep tread. Thanks guys! Audie....the Oldfart...:)

smokemjoe
02-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I gave over $25.00 for a can of WST pistol powder last week, I cant even break the seal on it as of the cost.

dakotashooter2
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't know what is considered the average cost of living increase but we get about 3% per year. Unfortunatly our electricity has seen 2-20% increases in the last 18 months, health insurance rates went up 17-18%, gas is up 10-12% , groceries probably 5-6%, the boots I wear went up 20%................................ some much for keeping up with the cost of living...........

I still have a couple of $20 Sears 12" tires I put on one of my trailers years ago. Granted the trailer doesn't see extensive use but they still look like new. Those same tires are around $90 now.

I'd like to meet someone who gets 1/2 the projected miles out of their tires................... I sure can't...

Phoenix
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Sure, I bought new tires for my pickup last year $960 for four. Just got 5 new ones for my trooper $860. 3 years ago for my ford 1 ton was $940 so not much of an increase from recent years. I dont own a car so I cant attest to those tires.

geargnasher
02-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I have gotten the full 80K miles (rated) out of three sets now of BFG all terrain T/A 31x10.50x15 on various Suburbans. In one case one set on three trucks. Only lost one, about 20-25K after taking a water heater core on the interstate that destroyed the wheel, the tread finally started letting go so I got some warranty out of it on replacement. That one tire was the best $180 I ever spent.

Gear

TXGunNut
02-04-2013, 11:57 PM
First set of tires I bought for my 97 F150 were $600...in 1999. Now they're about $700. And Gearnasher; 15" tires are the best tire bargain going right now...when you can find them. Gotta keep those BFG's rotated and the front end in good shape or they will get NOISEY!

TXGunNut
02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Just noticed the thread. On the excellent advice of the folks here I put a set (4) of Blizzaks on the 2010 Toyota Corrolla. Took a week to get 'em as they hadda ship em' down from Vermont to here in south-central Pa.!! I wish I'd have done this sooner! It hasn't snowed since I put them on! Total cost was $550 and worth every penny. I did get into a bit of an ice-storm a week or so ago. Never spun a tire. Very quiet also which surprised me with the super-deep tread. Thanks guys! Audie....the Oldfart...:)

Don't forget to swap those tires out when things warm up. Blizzaks have a whole different compound from normal highway tires.

geargnasher
02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
That's affirmed, TXGunNut. The front shoulder sipes get feathered from making turns even in a "perfect" world, rotate every three or four oil changes. But they can save your life at "crunch time".

Gear

TXGunNut
02-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Yep, awesome sidewalls on those BFG's. Easy sale for offroad construction vehicles.

Lloyd Smale
02-05-2013, 06:52 AM
I to am a big fan of bfg. Ive got a set of all terrains on my jeep and mud terrains on my truck right now. they were like steal and are great in the mud and snow. Like was said though there a bit old school and can be noisy!

P.K.
02-05-2013, 06:53 AM
That's affirmed, TXGunNut. The front shoulder sipes get feathered from making turns even in a "perfect" world, rotate every three or four oil changes. But they can save your life at "crunch time".

GearThat's pretty good advice for any mildly aggressive tread pattern. Dunno how many times people will gripe about tire life and then admit to never rotating tires.

quack1
02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
I bought 4 BFG all terrain TA's last year for the pickup, little over $900. Had them on the last truck and they had over 60,000 miles on them when I sold the truck, and still had tread left. Figured on scoring some wheel weights when paying up, but when asked, they said they only disposed of their weights in an "environmently friendly" recycling program. I said I recycle them into bullets to be mostly shot at a rifle range. The guy at the counter said he guessed he could spare some and came out with a handfull. Ended up with 11 weights, 6 of which were steel. Sad part was that I had, now and then over the years, been able to get weights for free from that same shop.

pipehand
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Glad my three pickups use the old 16 and 15 inch tires. The newer 17,18, and 20 inch hooptie tires are outrageous in cost. Not a truck tire, but Coopers gave great durability on my commuter car- went almost 60,000 miles on the last set. Changed tire supplier to the guy that gives me a bucket of wheelweights per set of tires.

mtnman31
02-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I get my truck tires from 4Wheel Parts. Their house branded Pro-Comps work well on my truck. They have sales often; this last time I got 100 bucks off a purchase of four. They typically have a buy 3 - get one free sale once a year. Their mud tires are comparable to BFG's. I use their extreme terrain tires that are a bit less aggressive than a full blown mud tire.

I had all four tires on my truck replaced a couple weeks back. I told them I wanted to keep the two best take-off's for spares. I waited in the store while they changed them out. Took a bit longer than expected. When my truck was ready the clerk informed me that while changing out the old tires someone had come and stolen the take-off's. Scroungers had stolen the old tires while they were putting on the new ones. The clerk was apologetic and gave me 50 bucks off a separate purchase I was making. I also left the store with about 70 pounds of wheel weights, of which only about 15 lbs were zinc/steel.

Beau Cassidy
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
i recall one set of bfgs i bought for my last vette cost near 300 a piece and lasted less then 20k.

Sounds about like the tires on my C-230 hunting car I call the Yugo. I do good to get 20K miles on them.

mroliver77
02-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I will not buy a vehicle that takes expensive tires! I have various sets of rims in the barn to for changes if needed. My f150 has 4 walmart cheapos that have done themselves proud. I have 4 5 lug Ford truck rims in 16.5 and 4- 60% tires for them. The 302 drags it along in OD just finer with the tall tires.
Jay

Bullwolf
02-06-2013, 03:48 AM
I am still running a set of BFG all terrain tires on my old Toyota 4x4, Have been on the same set for over 10 years now and I have over 200K+ miles on it. I sure wish that I had written down the mileage when I bought them.

I ran a set of BFG all terrain tires my Blazer for 60K miles, got considerably less wear out of the BFG mud terrains as they were a lot softer, but if you live on dirt/mud roads they sure were nice. Had pretty good results with BFG all terrain radials on the Ford Explorer too, it's a tire that sure goes a long way if you remember to rotate it every so often.

- Bullwolf

2HighSpeed
02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
We just dropped $479 on ONE tire for my husbands Chevy Silverado. BUT, It only has 14k miles on the truck so he said "They have to match". So we spent a little more. I told him no more tires, He blew that one out hitting the corner of a rifle target. Tore a hole the size of California in the sidewall.... Non repairable.

dragon813gt
02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm used to paying well over $1k for large diameter tires for my VWs. 255/35/18 is not a very common size. I was amazed at the cost of 31s for my GMC. I couldn't get any BFG All Terrain T/As as I waited until the winter to buy a set. So I ended up with Firestone Destination AT which I'm fine with. They're the lighter version of the Transforce ATs that I use on my work van. If they hold up and perform like those tires they will dry rot before I use them up mileage wise. I paid somewhere between $700-$800. I forget at this point. As long as Oil is up, tire prices will be up.

DLCTEX
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
My DIL had to buy a tire for her Cadillac two weeks ago and had to pay $260 + $20 mount/balance for it. It was a 60,000 mile tire. My son noted that the other tires were worn, at 24,000 miles and so she did some online shopping and found a 60,000 mile set for $137.00 ea. shipped to a shop they have an arrangement with that will mount/balance for $11.00 a tire. I don't recall the name of the website but she just did a web search for tires. I'll have to ask her to check about WW while there.

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Just bought 3 tires for my daughter's Nissan. Cost me what I paid for 4 just a year and a half ago for a similar car.

schutzen
02-07-2013, 02:16 AM
The price of tires is geared to the price of oil. Oil goes up, tires go up. Just bought two new rears for the John Deere @ $950 each. Really want to feel good, diesel goes up, ferilizer goes up,tires go up, steel goes up, farm implements go up; do you want to guess what will follow? How about the cost of food. Welcome to Obamanomics!

Shamus
02-07-2013, 02:44 AM
I just felt the impact, my truck tires are now a whopping $100 more per than 4 years ago. You really feel it when you buy 6 at a time. Car tires are at least $50 higher per than last time. Now that the new health care laws are rolling in, its going to raise everything up again and again. Over the last couple years a large block of cheese has almost doubled in cost....

horsesoldier
02-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Dont forget inflation! Inflation is another big part of why prices are going up

PatMarlin
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Earlier this year I picked up some Pirelli M&S Scorpions 10ply 16" for my 95 K2500 4x4 Chevy long bed extra cab diesel mounted and out the door for $680 and they seem to be holding up good. Arab shop that advertises on Craigs list. Free rotation and balance too.

This truck has 250,000 on it, but still runs great. Gets 19 mpg. With the cost of newer trucks and more expensive parts and tires, I think I'm gonna just keep it and my old 84 GMC running.