PDA

View Full Version : Are people nuts or what?

1Shirt
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Just checked e-bay for molds. Prices for 22 cal Lymans are shooting thru the roof. A 102gr. .356 Lee 2 cav going for in excess of $40.00 plus ship. Checked Midsouth,Midway,GRAF,Natchez, etc. No 102gr. lee molds available, and some say don't expect to receive any. Same is true for 9MM bullets of any weight, as is true for most 22's and 30's.
There is a genuine fear out there of the Government that is creating this panic. Was in a gun store on Wed, and watched a guy buy two 500 round cartons of 9Luger. Asked him why and he said "just in case!".
1Shirt!:(

rsrocket1
02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
The gun grabbing libs may have their some of their wishes come true but not necessarily in the way they want it.

Wish: No more gun related sales anywhere in the US.

Reason: Sold out everywhere! :mrgreen:

45-70 Chevroner
02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I just ordered two Lee 150 gr. FN molds from Midway, they are back ordered until the 28th of this month. I will just keep my fingers crossed. Every one I talk to are saying that guns and related items are going through the roof for prices. My son looked at a Springfield 1911 about two weeks ago for $545.00, this week it was gone and the guy said the next ones would be over $700.00 and that was if he could get them. I'm 70 years old and not to many thing scare me, but what is going on in this country has me a little worried, well maybe more than a little worried, especially for my kids and grandkids. I guess the only other option is to move to Wyoming

41 mag fan
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Are people nuts or what?

Answer: YES

HARRYMPOPE
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Prices wont come down(even when suppliers are caught up) now that hoarders have shown what the market will bear!

Shiloh
02-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Are people nuts or what?

Answer: YES

And in a panic mode. I have had more questions about reloading and getting started in reloading in the last two months than the last
several years. Now, there are no primers or bullets available. What I don't tell them is that they should have seen this coming.
I was told by an anesthesia tech that while he finally broke down and bought a 9mm, he has only 50 rounds for it. It will be months before ammo is available for him and he is depressed.

Prices wont come down(even when suppliers are caught up) now that hoarders have shown what the market will bear!

Market forces at work. Simple supply and demand. I bough primers several years ago from a guy who panicked. I bought some of what he had for the just under what they went for locally. He took a bath.

SHiloh

Jack Stanley
02-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Are people nuts ? ....... yes . Last summer , someone who bought a case of primers , ammo etc. would have been called prudent . Today they are considered hoarders and are the very bane of civilization . Yes , people are nuts .

Jack

Tatume
02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I just ordered two Lee 150 gr. FN molds from Midway, they are back ordered until the 28th of this month.

I don't order anything back-ordered at Midway. The problem is, if them come in separately they will ship them separately and charge shipping both times. Recently I wanted to order a die and a trimmer pilot. Together the shipping was $5. Separately, the shipping was $5 each. The pilot was out of stock, and they were going to ship the die, charge me, then ship the pilot and charge shipping all over again. I cancelled the order. Then I placed a "notice" on the pilot. Today I got an email that the pilot was in stock, ordered it and the die, and paid $5 shipping on both.

I know $5 is not much, but I don't like being ripped off, and that's what I think this is.

Take care, Tom

wv109323
02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I see all this panic as being well for our cause to uphold the Second Amendment. First some of the buyers are first time owners. Many are women. I hope many will get involved in some type of regular firearm activity. Whether it is formal competition or just range visits to become familiar with their firearms is all good. Hopefully some will become political active.
The other reasons are the manufacturers are in a upswing of business. At these times they should be making good profits. With the profit and good business they should be more politically active to fight restrictive gun laws. Witness Ruger sending E-mails to our government representatives.
Politicians are hesitant to pass laws that will hurt businesses in their territories.

texassako
02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Just checked e-bay for molds. Prices for 22 cal Lymans are shooting thru the roof. A 102gr. .356 Lee 2 cav going for in excess of $40.00 plus ship. Checked Midsouth,Midway,GRAF,Natchez, etc. No 102gr. lee molds available, and some say don't expect to receive any. Same is true for 9MM bullets of any weight, as is true for most 22's and 30's.
There is a genuine fear out there of the Government that is creating this panic. Was in a gun store on Wed, and watched a guy buy two 500 round cartons of 9Luger. Asked him why and he said "just in case!".

No kidding, I picked the wrong time to think about reloading for a .380. I guess it can sit in the safe while I shoot what I have molds and dies for.

uscra112
02-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Well, better that it's distributed among hundreds of thousands of us, than all in some warehouse somewhere where they can confiscate it in one swell foop.

What gets me is that the heaviest buying pressure is on mouse guns and .22 stuff. The anti-gun media has convinced them that those are the most dangerous things invented since God gave us nuclear weapons. Let me have at least a 7mm; better yet a cal.30 something-or-other, thank you very much.

blikseme300
02-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Yes, people are nuts. Not just libtards but the chicken littles. Now is not a time to panic as decisions made when emotional are typically wrong ones.

A few weeks age I sold 10 30round clips for a $1000. I did not make the offer, it was pitched at me. Suckers and their money are soon parted. PT Barnum would have been so proud. I have seen crazy nuts prices for anything related to 223 reloading on both evil bay and GB lately.

In November last year I warned my friends that shortages are sure to come and to be prudent and stock up. Some called me nuts but others listened. Then the tragedy at the school... The rest is history. Primers are the most difficult to get followed by some bullets. We casters have such a huge advantage today

duck hollow pete
02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
one bright spot all those bad lots of federal auto match .22s, are all gone!

atr
02-03-2013, 10:58 AM
yes, its a panic out there,,,and IMHO doing more harm than good.

backroad
02-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes many people are nuts

finishman2000
02-03-2013, 01:06 PM
people are stupid. the stores were filled with cheap mags and ar's in 2007 then bam. again before the school shooting. i bought when on sale everthing for my sport and more. i have sold off mags and things now that i no longer need and have improved my collection and reloading equipment.

Huntducks
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
ebayers are nuts sold 2 sets of 223 dies one was a Dillon $180 the other RCBS 223 SB W/ns $177, just on friday I sold local 1000rd of military 223 for $750 which i got free, bought a new mec 9000 w/elec system no more pulling the handel, thanks MR. Pres your the shooting ind. #1 salesman.

Goatwhiskers
02-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Yep, God is great, beer is good, and people ARE crazy. GW

mpmarty
02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
In 2004 I "panicked" and bought fifty pounds of powder, assorted and 30,000 primers. Before the buying rush hit in November. I'm set for many years and just grin when I hear of "shortages".

Phoenix
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Are people nuts ? ....... yes . Last summer , someone who bought a case of primers , ammo etc. would have been called prudent . Today they are considered hoarders and are the very bane of civilization . Yes , people are nuts .

Jack

I am in total agreement with this statement. Just because millions of people are being "prudent" Doesn't make the situation any different than it was in 1994, 2004, 2008, etc

Why is someone that splurges on what they have always wished for all at once make for a bad person. The issue is there is such a need that people are paying ridiculous prices, and others are charging ridiculous prices. Supply and demand at its finest. Good or bad it is happening.

I wont pay the high prices. But I admit every time I goto town I check every store ( 4 of them) for what I want and don't hold back when I find it.

MUSTANG
02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Better yet, I heard Jesse Jackson this morning on Fox state that these assault weapons are so powerful they can Destroy Trucks and blow up Trains!!! I gotta get me some of those.

Mustang

casterofboolits
02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Yup!~ People are nuts! I'm in the middle of replenishing my pistol ammo, 2K 45-185-SWC H&G #68, 1K 45-220-RNBB H&G #519, 2K 9mm 09-125-SWCBB H&G #275, 2K 38 Super Saeco 38S-145-SWCBB and 2K 40 S&W 40-145-TC. Luckily, my primer stash will cover all of it!

Now, I will have to wait for prices to settle down to replenish the primer supply.:(

MikeS
02-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Not trying to hoard, but rather just replace stock that was getting low I tried to buy some primers, and was amazed how many sellers are sold out of them! I managed to find one seller that had some Tula large rifle primers in stock, the ones specifically for 7.62NATO, I don't know what's different with them than regular large rifle primers, but I bought them anyway, as the rifles I have all have pretty strong springs, so if they're harder than regular primers I should be OK. I was also going to buy some more powder, but again was finding it hard to find any sellers that had any in stock!

Rechecking my stock of powder, I'm going to wait a bit more before buying any more smokeless powder, I still have an unopened 1lb jar of both Unique & 2400, as well as a pound of HP-38, so I should be ok for a little bit, hopefully by the time I'm halfway thru them the panic will be over, and local supplies have returned, but what I'm going to need fairly soon is black powder, I'm all out of FFg, and only have a half a pound of FFFg left. I still have a small amount of Triple 7 that I wasn't planning on using that I might have to, and I might have to use some other subs for a bit till I can buy the real stuff again! Oh well, at least I'll be able to still shoot for a bit.

Phoenix
02-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Not trying to hoard, but rather just replace stock that was getting low I tried to buy some primers, and was amazed how many sellers are sold out of them! I managed to find one seller that had some Tula large rifle primers in stock, the ones specifically for 7.62NATO, I don't know what's different with them than regular large rifle primers, but I bought them anyway, as the rifles I have all have pretty strong springs, so if they're harder than regular primers I should be OK. I was also going to buy some more powder, but again was finding it hard to find any sellers that had any in stock!

Rechecking my stock of powder, I'm going to wait a bit more before buying any more smokeless powder, I still have an unopened 1lb jar of both Unique & 2400, as well as a pound of HP-38, so I should be ok for a little bit, hopefully by the time I'm halfway thru them the panic will be over, and local supplies have returned, but what I'm going to need fairly soon is black powder, I'm all out of FFg, and only have a half a pound of FFFg left. I still have a small amount of Triple 7 that I wasn't planning on using that I might have to, and I might have to use some other subs for a bit till I can buy the real stuff again! Oh well, at least I'll be able to still shoot for a bit.

Nato Primers are normally magnum. Because they usually use ball powder they use magnum primer, and the cups are harder to prevent slam fires. I buy the CCI 41 and CCI 34 all the time. Even CCIs website says these same facts. I guess its possible the Tula are just harder cups but I would assume they are magnum as most 5.56/7.62 primers are. I load lot of this stuff and the nato primers are definately hotter but not significant. For example I use WC844 and WC846 military ball powder with the CCI 41 and 34 primers. I used CCI 34 primers with 30-06 and my normal varget load and got 110fps faster load than I did with standard CCI LRP. I ended up having to back the load down or switch back to standard primers as accuracy was affected.

762 shooter
02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I've noticed that when Person A describes Person B as a "hoarder", it's because the Person B has something Person A wants and doesn't have. :roll:

rogn
02-04-2013, 10:55 AM
You would think that bobo/potus would realize that the firearms industry is the only thing holding our economy together. Adding restrictions or bans might just trigger a full depression!

shootinfox2
02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I just followed the advice on this forum. How much lead do you have? How many primers and how much powder do you need to shoot your stockpile.
P+M=E
Plenty plus More equals Enough.

Fox

dakotashooter2
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I bought extra when the stores overbought after the last run and ended up marking stuff down to get rid of it.... I envision a REPEAT scenareo....................

The only thing I might be limited on is my stock for prairie dog hunting......

I spent last night making 500 .38 Boolits.................to replentish my supply.......

The run on .22 is because people are substituting it for ammo they can't get or is too pricey to buy in any quantity.

XWrench3
02-04-2013, 06:07 PM
yes. people are nuts. i TRIED to buy primers today. the owner of the gunstore said that as soon as his delivery arrives, he gets swamped (he tells people when he gets his weekly stocking order in), and is usually sold out of many things by the end of the day. of course, that is only during "panic buying circumstances". i went there with 6 things on my list, and got 2 of them. he said i should go buy a lottery ticket, because my luck was really good. I HATE PANIC BUYERS!

alfloyd
02-04-2013, 08:27 PM
"I've noticed that when Person A describes Person B as a "hoarder", it's because the Person B has something Person A wants and doesn't have."

I TOTALY agree with you. If I find what I need, I buy what I can afford at the time. Does this make me a "hoarder"? If so, then I guess that I am a hoarder. The rest of the public had the same chance to buy it, but they decided to waite longer, so sad, so bad.
You would think that people would learn from history, but so many people do not remember.
Just my 2 cents worth rant.

Lafaun

lwknight
02-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Big difference between the behated hoarder and a thoughtful stocker.
I slowly stored up a good bit of supplies while supplies were plentiful and cheap.
Panic hoarders wait till the last minute and overbuy , thus cheating everyone else.

Anyway , I can wait it out and if supplies dry up , I will just not shoot so much when my stock is low.

Jack Stanley
02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I've found that now that I don't have to run from store to store to find stuff , I have more time to shoot ! Today sixty rounds of M-72 match and three boxes of thirty-eight special went downrange . dakotashooter2 , you'd be proud of me , this evening I loaded forty rounds to test in the rifle .

Jack

HiVelocity
02-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Folks, wait till all your friends realize that you handload your own. Friends and acquaintances are hounding me for ammo almost every day. When I jokingly said, "$25 a box", he said, Okay, when can you have them ready?"

Now I just let everybody know that for liability reasons, I'm only reloading for myself and my family. I'm still wondering why Al Nelson still has "any" pistol molds on his website. I thought, for sure, by now they'd all be sold out. I'm glad that I have molds for every caliber I shoot.

HV

762 shooter
02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
"I've noticed that when Person A describes Person B as a "hoarder", it's because the Person B has something Person A wants and doesn't have."

I TOTALY agree with you. If I find what I need, I buy what I can afford at the time. Does this make me a "hoarder"? If so, then I guess that I am a hoarder. The rest of the public had the same chance to buy it, but they decided to waite longer, so sad, so bad.
You would think that people would learn from history, but so many people do not remember.
Just my 2 cents worth rant.

Lafaun

Ahhhhh! Thoughtful stocker. I like it. Timing is everything.

FLHTC
02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
I think they are foolish for sure. I see people selling brass and im thinking, "You'll be sorry". Im afraid that one time the market usnt going to rebound so i treat every panic period the same. Ill buy but refuse to sell. It keeps me less dependent on the crazy market.

Jack Stanley
02-05-2013, 10:05 AM
HiVelocity , how right you are . A fella that I've been trying to convince he should have a pistol bought one about two years ago . When he got it I told him he should have a couple cases of ammo for it . Understanding that retired folk can't always just write the check , I told him sell part of your coin collection while metals are high and ammo is low .

Well now metals are lower and ammo is through the roof and he wants me to load for him . It ain't happening because of liability I said , but if you buy the equipment I'll show you how . Guess what , I got the same line about equipment as I did ammo .

There is an old saying about leading a horse to water .............

Jack

Eagle66
02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I nominate POTUS for Salesman of the Year for the gun industry. Because of him, I went shopping for the 10-22 I've been wanting for 40 years. Got a nice deal on an experienced 10-22 Takedown at Scheels. Scope @ Wally World. When I see a 500 box of ammo at a decent price, I buy a couple, leave some for the others. I'm making the rounds for WW for my .38/.357 & 8mm Mauser. Bought a couple of pounds of Bullseye at my favorite local gun store. They still have some 2400, might get some. Probably gonna get a membership @ Issac Walton or the local indoor range. Wife was PO'd but understaning. Took her out paper punching, so she's happy now. Bottom line, the Pres convinced me to stimulate the economy. Yessir, I am crazy, but that is nothing new.

Jim
02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
..... Well now metals are lower and ammo is through the roof and he wants me to load for him . It ain't happening because of liability I said , but if you buy the equipment I'll show you how . Guess what , I got the same line about equipment as I did ammo .

There is an old saying about leading a horse to water .............

Jack

I've got the same thing going on here in "Smalltown, USA". People are finding out I 'roll my own' and asking me "How much you want for a box of XYZ ammo?" After explaining the legalities of selling my handloads, they get that dejected look because they have run out of resources.

This is exactly why I've been buying primers, powder and rimfire ammo for the last two years. I knew this was coming, I just didn't know when.

oldoak2000
02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I've noticed that when Person A describes Person B as a "hoarder", it's because the Person B has something Person A wants and doesn't have. :roll:762

Yes, and said 'Person B - Hoarder' immediately becomes inappropriately labeled as 'GOUGER' when he so graciously decides to provide some relief to the market and 'increase the available supply' by selling some of his said extra 'stash' at the said 'going rate'. . . .

Don't get me wrong - GOUGER is the appropriate title for those that swoop in to stores clearing the shelves only to immediately 'flip' the product at 2x or higher!

dakotashooter2
02-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Thats one of the advantages of loading "odd" calibers and mostly cast bullets.... Not a lot of demand for the .41 mag in my area... I also load about 90% of my stuff with cast bullets which most guys don't seem to want...This is kind of forcing me to develop those cast rifle loads I've been meaning to work on.

IF i decided to sell anything I feel that I would need at least replacement cost for it which will likely include some inflationary value that will likely be reflected in the next available supply. In some cases where I bought at reduced prices that could mean some extra proffit if I choose not to replace it.

Like my uncle says "everything is for sale". I'm not going to ask double market value but if somebody "offers" that I'm not the badguy for taking it........

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I am a hoarder

Years ago I realized that if and when I retired there would not be as much money

available for playthings.:)

I bought a rifle,I bought dies, moulds etc for that rifle. Same with every weapon I collected. When there was a sale on any component it was added to MY RETIREMENT stuff.

Well I am now retired and the money is very tight BUT let the shooting begin.

My son can sell off what ever is left after they throw the dirt over the grave.

It was a little planning ahead.

The X wanted ALL THE MONEY but she never thought about the gun stuff,:)

Jack Stanley
02-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm with you Bad Water , all of those years when I worked the overtime instead of spending weekends or nights at home ...... Paid for the toys now I have the time , just hope the supplies hold out for as long as I can enjoy them .

Jack

dilly
02-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't order anything back-ordered at Midway. The problem is, if them come in separately they will ship them separately and charge shipping both times.

I emailed them about a similar issue and customer service sent me a response that there's a Missouri law where basically they can only charge you for what they plan to ship as soon as they can.

I was wishing that I could just buy stuff on impulse and every three months or so they'd send me whatever I had paid for in that interval.

xs11jack
02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place. I am on a fixed income like many of you and when I started using the knowledge I learned here, the prices went out of sight the same week that my beloved drill press that I have had for 40+ years bit the dust and now I need $300 for a replacement. I also need more reloading stuff. I selling stuff I thought would be with me forever. No balance in my life at all for a long while.
Jack

unique
02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
I've noticed that when Person A describes Person B as a "hoarder", it's because the Person B has something Person A wants and doesn't have. :roll:

That's good, real good and I suppose another way to look at it is Person B had the foresight to panic first.

PB234
02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Give it some time and supply will again equal demand. Manufacturers are producing everything they can and eventually buyers will have stocked their shelves and not need to buy more. Until then supplies will be available but more expensive and people will be shooting less because of fear of not being able to replace used ammo and the cost of supplies. If you want to eventually save some money replacing supplies a donation to NRA-ILA is a good investment.

Casper29
02-06-2013, 05:26 AM

Prices will come back down, no buisness wants thier stock sitting around because everybody is stocked up and dose not need anything. So prices will come back down, the question is when.

Boondocker
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
:goodpost:
I see all this panic as being well for our cause to uphold the Second Amendment. First some of the buyers are first time owners. Many are women. I hope many will get involved in some type of regular firearm activity. Whether it is formal competition or just range visits to become familiar with their firearms is all good. Hopefully some will become political active.
The other reasons are the manufacturers are in a upswing of business. At these times they should be making good profits. With the profit and good business they should be more politically active to fight restrictive gun laws. Witness Ruger sending E-mails to our government representatives.
Politicians are hesitant to pass laws that will hurt businesses in their territories.

Tbird
02-09-2013, 12:16 PM
I have 8000 primers..200# lead...10# powder..I just shoot my way thru the shortages. Then restock

Jay561
02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
This will pass, just like it does with every other panic we have had.

shooterg
02-09-2013, 08:44 PM
My name is George and I'm a Hoardaholic....

Kent Fowler
02-09-2013, 08:53 PM

22 molds have been through the roof for some time. A year ago, a 22596 went for like 120 bucks. Guess someone wanted that one real bad.

Bad Water Bill
02-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I have 8000 primers..200# lead...10# powder..I just shoot my way thru the shortages. Then restock

I hope that is what you have stashed for EACH firearm you own. [smilie=1:

Beekeeper
02-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Here where I live there are only 2 gunshops.
In either if it isn't black don't ask for it.
Both have some RCBS reloading gear but never restock.
Mil surplus guns go for 3 or 4 times their real value and almost everything else is at least 3 times over value.
Hoarding, not me, I saw the handwriting on the wall 4 years ago and bought as much as I could.
Only wish I had bought another 10K LR primers
and about 20 more bags of cleaning patches and brushes!

beekeeper

alfloyd
02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
"Hoarding, not me, I saw the handwriting on the wall 4 years ago and bought as much as I could."

I saw it coming also. Myself and some friend dumped a lot of money on primers last year. We got our stash up to where we wanted it, and left lots on the selves for other people to buy. That way we were not "Hoarders", but wise customers that remembered history.

We also cast and swage slugs, so that is not a problem now.

Just looking out for number 1 - ME.
Lafaun

fishin_bum
02-10-2013, 03:48 AM
I have swage set ups for a few popular calibers I have considered getting an FFL so I can supplement my income but the Government scares me right now and I prefer to keep them out of my house and I can't afford a separate place of business.

10mmShooter
02-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Yes things are crazy, during the last primer shortage, I swore I would not get caught with my pants down, so this time I do have enough powder and primers to weather this recent crisis, but I've come to realize there will be a time when we might not be able to re-stock. So i'm already saving money so when prices come back down in 12-24 months, I can jump in and restock. With each crisis I find that what I thought was a good inventory level is not high enough, so this time I'm considering inventory levels that would last 20 years...after that I'll be too old to reload anymore anyway.

Beekeeper
02-10-2013, 11:21 AM
10mmShooter,
I am almost at that age now but still wish I had more just in case the kids ever wake up and smell the coffee.
I do not think we will ever see it at normal levels again .
New and diferent levels in 3-4 years maybe but I doubt it

beekeeper

Jack Stanley
02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I was at the fun show and had a table set up selling extra stuff from the dungeon . I had one bandoleer of Garand food left from what I'd brought . It had been one of three and two got tossed in on a rifle deal I'd made earlier . I hadn't priced it before I left the table to walk around and didn't tell my pal what I wanted for it .

As fate would have it , I happened to pass by the table as someone was interested in it . My pal asked me how much and off the top of my head I said thirty bucks which was fifteen dollars cheaper that the rest of the show had it for . The smart shopper immediately countered with twenty-five dollars . Hmmmmm I start thinking and realize I've overpriced it and I should take it home with me in shame and spend my next range time shooting it and contemplating the wonders of todays market . So I looked back and said "No , it's not for sale " then looked at my pal and told him don't sell it .

Yep , six en bloc clips , forty-eight boxer primed cases complete with primers , powder and bullet probably was highway robbery at thirty bucks . I'm so sorry fellas ...... but now I've got that off my chest I feel better [smilie=1:

Jack

Olevern
02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
small part of "the hoard", didn't buy it yesterday or last month; I stay stocked up with what I need to enjoy my hobby.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_7814res-1.jpg

TJfan
02-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I've been cussing all the hoarders suckin' up all the ammo and reloading supplies. No bodies talking about banning ammo, just mags and guns, but sure enough all the lead and powder around here is going as fast as it hits the shelves. I've been waiting 6 years to be in a position to get started reloading and casting. I decided that this years tax return would be the ticket... then this garbage happened. Oh well, I've managed to scrounge up most of what I need (at bloated prices) in spite of the hoarders . I just need some dang powder and primers now and me thinks I've got a bead on both tomorrow. I could use an electric melting pot but the wife's cast iron dutch oven should do if push comes to shove. LOL, she won't be too happy bout that though.

Shiloh
02-21-2013, 06:05 AM

Jack

If you purchased when components powder and primers were available to everyone, it isn't hoarding. I refer to it as, with a marxist as president, you should have anticipated this and done something about it when you could. This was coming. I just didn't expect it to be this intense.
Remember the Boy Scout Motto?? Be Prepared!!

Shiloh

btroj
02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Exactly Shiloh. I just hope I am prepared enough.

Case Stuffer
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Some day supply will catch up with demand however not so sure prices will ever be anyway near what they were in2012.

I have primers purchased in the 70s that were $6.50 per thousand,ones purchased in the 80s were $9.50 per thousand.

I paid $239 for a brand new Colt 45 APC,less than that for a Browning High Power 9MM, under $200 for a High Standard Sharpshooter with bull barrel,under $300 for a S & W 44 mag. with 6" barrell etc. etc.

Case Stuffer
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
No bodies talking about banning ammo, just mags and guns,

Not quoting to bad mouth you just a point of reference. Many are new to firearms,reloading,shooting,the mear idea of protecting themself versus letting the police do its a new concept to many. Every notice that the ones (policitians,movie stars, talk show host and many of the rich and famious are the ones against us have guns.
Rosey does not need a gun due to simple fact is that her 6 body guard do. How many of our nation's most Elite armed guards protect the Pres. and family? All those who truely believe disarming John Q public is the answer should move to the 49th state, England,Austrial ,Japan,China etc.,etc. there are plenty of choices avaiable just Please,Please,Please leave this Souther Born and Raised Redneck Country Boy and my guns alone.

Note: The desire to disarm citizines really started in earnest in the UN in 1961.

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Some day supply will catch up with demand however not so sure prices will ever be anyway near what they were in2012.

I have primers purchased in the 70s that were $6.50 per thousand,ones purchased in the 80s were $9.50 per thousand.

I paid $239 for a brand new Colt 45 APC,less than that for a Browning High Power 9MM, under $200 for a High Standard Sharpshooter with bull barrel,under $300 for a S & W 44 mag. with 6" barrell etc. etc.

Careful young fellow or some of us MIGHT start telling what we paid for stuff back in the late 40s till G C 68.

How about an UNFIRED Browning HI power with holster and 2 mags and all matching # for $65.00.
Win golden boy 66 for $99.99.
1K CCI LR primers $2.99

Case Stuffer
02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
See such prices every month in American Rifelman, thing is back in the 40's very few that I am aware of had much disposal income. My Dad worked 50 hr. on his regualr job every week, worked amother part time job and had a partime business(shop) at home and could barely pay the bills.

In the late 70's early 80's I was making $8 and hour and could afford guns,ammo,reloading supplies and equipment ,match fees,gas for traveling to matches and still save some for my Golden Years. I even had a boat back then and spent a lot of non match weekends fishing and camping. My wife was allways happy to help me with my reloading as she also shoot PPC and knew that camping cut into my reloading and range practice time.

Hard to believe that I thought nothing of blowing throught thousands of 38 and 45 rounds a week.Need to start shooting my S& W based PPC gun and my S&W Model 52 as I have a lot more 38 WCs and SWC loaded than all of my other calibers combined. If it was not so much trouble I would pull 38 WC rounds for the primers,powder and primers.

rintinglen
02-21-2013, 03:03 PM

But those were real dollars, not Obama Bucks! Which we used to call dimes.

xacex
02-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Hmm. Just used up the last of my small pistol primers today. Usually I have enough to get me to March, but now that march is almost here I may be a sitting duck. I am well stocked with magnum large pistol primers, but only use them for 45 acp and 50 Beowulf. Looks like I will need to be happy with 800 rounds of 9mm for the time being. A few months ago I noticed my stock of SPP were getting low, but didn't worry about it, and figured that by March everything would be back in stock. Plenty of shotgun primers, and even a couple thousand more small rifle primers on the shelf along with the same amount of large rifle primers. I should be happy, but instead it just hit home that even my stockpile is dwindling.

Case Stuffer
02-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Well I Am using CCI Mag. SP and SR primers in my XD 9mm as I have 1,500 that are 40 year old stock and no longer load any rifle ammo. Still have some Federal SP but not knowing when the supply will get better I m trying to make them last.

fredj338
02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I've been cussing all the hoarders suckin' up all the ammo and reloading supplies. No bodies talking about banning ammo, just mags and guns, but sure enough all the lead and powder around here is going as fast as it hits the shelves. .
You are not paying attention to the news. The Feds & many local govt ARE talking restrictions, licensing & taxing ammo. So people are rightly paniced & want it before it doubles in price or becomes more diff to get. It's not hoarding if you need it, it's hoarding if you are just buying it because. I keep 5K min of every size primer I shoot. When I break into the last case, I order another 5K. It's called being prepared.
Anyone not seeing this coming in Nov was just not paying attention. Yes, this wil be worse than 08, much worse. We thought PBO was a gun grabber, now everyone KNOWS he is. So the buying will continue. Throw in the Feds rpinting $50B a month in money, anything comodity based is going up in price. Looke at gas, food items, etc. Ammo & reloading stuff is no diff.

destrux
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
There are places that have stuff in stock and at normal prices. I just bought a Lee tl452-200-swc mold that was in stock and got to me within a week for 25 shipped.

Here's a tip. Get the manufacturer part number and Google it. Then look through for the websites that show it in stock and call them to be sure its correct and they're legitimate and not a "deal" website selling someone else's inventory.

Many molds that work for smokeless cartridges also work for BP and so you'll find them in stock at the muzzleloading shops that aren't experiencing this rediculous mania.

TJfan
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
You are not paying attention to the news. The Feds & many local govt ARE talking restrictions, licensing & taxing ammo. So people are rightly paniced & want it before it doubles in price or becomes more diff to get. It's not hoarding if you need it, it's hoarding if you are just buying it because. I keep 5K min of every size primer I shoot. When I break into the last case, I order another 5K. It's called being prepared.
Anyone not seeing this coming in Nov was just not paying attention. Yes, this wil be worse than 08, much worse. We thought PBO was a gun grabber, now everyone KNOWS he is. So the buying will continue. Throw in the Feds rpinting $50B a month in money, anything comodity based is going up in price. Looke at gas, food items, etc. Ammo & reloading stuff is no diff.

Oh I'm paying attention alright. Taxes and licensing ammo isn't banning, not that any of that is going to pass anyway. The problem with people wanting to buy everything they can get because there's talk about it becoming difficult to get and doubling in price has caused it to be difficult to find and double the price. The gov. doesn't have to do anything, they just scare people and sit back and laugh while we do it to ourselves. I'm not sure I like the idea off everybody and their brother buying guns either. I spend alot of time in the gun & pawn shops in my area and I'm seeing a bunch of people buying guns that don't even know what ammo to buy for it, and holding the gun like its a cotton mouth. I listen to'em ask questions like whats this button do, or how do you get the empty bullets out (autoloader). I predict many firearms accidents in the near future, which will be another excuse to regulate. Not that I'm against people wanting to start practicing their rights, I just hope they have the sense to respect their firearms and find experienced gun owners to teach them the ropes.

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Here in CROOK county Il they added a $25.00 TAX on each firearm sold in the county. They REALLY cried when the .25 A ROUND tax was voted down.

Why should anyone object if your box of 22s selling for $10.00 has a $25.00 county tax on it then the state adds their tax on your total price and suddenly a $10.00 box of ammo rings up as $38.75.

No they do not need to confiscate your useless piece of pipe. That is what it is without affordable ammo.

Yes front stuffers do use the same moulds as smokeless. I picked up a 45 cal 335 gr HP and packed it in a sabot. Took all of the fun away. The gun now shoots 1" groups at 100 yards ALL DAY LONG.

BOARING[smilie=1:

Recluse
02-21-2013, 11:35 PM
I've been cussing all the hoarders suckin' up all the ammo and reloading supplies. No bodies talking about banning ammo

First off, you're cussing the wrong people. Cuss the government and the libtards and the foreign governments and rabble-rousers (aka United Nations) who are pushing this.

Secondly, if you think that nobody is talking about banning ammo, then I have a dozen fully ready to go Dillon 1050s, each with its own Magma casting furnace and Magma Star lubesizer ready to go and be delivered to you for $1 each and Dillon and Magma will pay the shipping.

There is outright talk in states like California, Illinois and Washington about massively limiting the amount of ammunition any one individual can have in their house. Does the word "arsenal" sound familiar?

After the recent shootings in Colorado and Connecticut, did you even pay attention to the media's use of "arsenal of ammunition" to describe the ammunition the shooters had in their possession?

With bans of magazines holding more than seven rounds of ammunition, the next "logical" step for the goobers in gooberville will be to push for ammo possession restrictions by stating "there are no magazines that will hold more than seven rounds of ammunition, so why does anyone need more ammunition than what their magazines will hold?"

You're cussing the wrong people.

:coffee:

TJfan
02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
First off, you're cussing the wrong people. Cuss the government and the libtards and the foreign governments and rabble-rousers (aka United Nations) who are pushing this.

Secondly, if you think that nobody is talking about banning ammo, then I have a dozen fully ready to go Dillon 1050s, each with its own Magma casting furnace and Magma Star lubesizer ready to go and be delivered to you for $1 each and Dillon and Magma will pay the shipping.

There is outright talk in states like California, Illinois and Washington about massively limiting the amount of ammunition any one individual can have in their house. Does the word "arsenal" sound familiar?

After the recent shootings in Colorado and Connecticut, did you even pay attention to the media's use of "arsenal of ammunition" to describe the ammunition the shooters had in their possession?

With bans of magazines holding more than seven rounds of ammunition, the next "logical" step for the goobers in gooberville will be to push for ammo possession restrictions by stating "there are no magazines that will hold more than seven rounds of ammunition, so why does anyone need more ammunition than what their magazines will hold?"

You're cussing the wrong people.

:coffee:
That's to be expected in the states you listed and I don't live in them so their policies don't apply in my state. What can pass and what's being talked about is two very different things. With Dems up for re-election and given what happened to them in last time they banned in 94 I really don't see that happening. A mag ban.... maybe. I don't cuss the guberment anymore, I expect them to be idiots, if they weren't I'd suspect something.

1Shirt
03-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Got to agree with Recluse about the goobers in Gooberville! There are Gooberbvilles in every state in the union, and unfortuantely, they have high populations of goobers. Don't find that many goobers in rural America, but with the media influance and Obozos lies there seems to be a few in rural America who are sucumbing to the P.C. pressure.
1Shirt!

BAGTIC
03-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Of course people are crazy... and stupid. If they weren't how did we get the government we got.

It is not a government conspiracy. If guns and reloading supplies are banned how will people use all the supplies they are hoarding? In their basements? How long will they last? Or shall we just hoard them? Of what use or enjoyment will they be if they can't be used as intended. You can't hoard enough, food, gas or fuel to last the rest of your life, if you use it. If you don't use it then you didn't need it and it doesn't matter whether you have it or not.

BAGTIC
03-01-2013, 03:19 PM
You would think that bobo/potus would realize that the firearms industry is the only thing holding our economy together. Adding restrictions or bans might just trigger a full depression!

Strange. I have had a full depression ever since he got elected.

Huntducks
03-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Saw a add today 6000rds of military 223 fired $1900:???:LMAO

Another 50 SP primers $10 or $195 per K