PDA

View Full Version : I should have took your advice....

jdgabbard
02-01-2013, 06:28 PM
And never bought a 1911. You all told me that the addiction was worse than coffee, cigarettes, and heroine wrapped into one. And I still didn't listen. Buying a RIA Officers Model about two months ago. Then today, a Auto Ordinance 1911-A1... And I'm on the lookout for another RIA in 38 Super for a conversion to 9x23.... The addiction is too strong.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/py3apadu.jpg

cylinderman
02-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Yep nothing like 1911. All 1911 are good or can be made that way, they far exceede any of these supposedly superior synthetic counterparts. Welcome to the addiction

jdgabbard
02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah, within a month of owning that officers model, I had upgraded the sights myself, bought better mags, and acquired the items needed to start casting and loading for it. Now I have a second child to nourish. And with any luck I'll have another in the next few weeks.

P.K.
02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
The term "Mouths to feed" gets a whole new meaning doesn't it? :bigsmyl2:

Cherokee
02-01-2013, 09:17 PM
They are addictive, casting for them is easy and fun, lots of loads and much fun to be had.....

captaint
02-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Yes, 1911's simply belong in our hands - getting dirty. Mine are all my favorites. Other semi autos are great, but they ain't 1911's... Mike

DLCTEX
02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
The first gun on my never sell list is my 1911. My casting equipment for it is on that list also.

jdgabbard
02-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Agree completely with the above statements! But for some reason I am shooting low with the officers model. Have to figure that out. But they do feel as though they belong in my hand!

MtGun44
02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Ol' Slabsides is still a very popular more than 100 yrs after being adopted by the
Army for a number of good reasons. First, the ergonomics are superb. Second,
it is reliable, rarely breaks parts. Third, fires a powerful and effective cartridge with
moderate recoil. Parts are readily available to modify to your heart's desire.
It is thin, much thinner than most full sized autopistols, so easy to conceal.
Great trigger pull is common in factory guns today and easily corrected if not.

Great design. Yes, it is addictive.

Bill

lead4me
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Just make sure you know what your doing if you decide to do a home style trigger job, these can be made to go full auto....not good...ask me how I know.

runfiverun
02-02-2013, 12:54 AM
you'll like that auto ordinance.
it's the one i bought,given the choice of many.
put a little oil on the slide now and then....done.

khmer6
02-02-2013, 03:16 AM
And never bought a 1911. You all told me that the addiction was worse than coffee, cigarettes, and heroine wrapped into one. And I still didn't listen. Buying a RIA Officers Model about two months ago. Then today, a Auto Ordinance 1911-A1... And I'm on the lookout for another RIA in 38 Super for a conversion to 9x23.... The addiction is too strong.

Nice score. I picked up my RIA Satin Nickel 38 Super new for 299 earlier this year. why the conversion to 9x23? With super comp or TJ brass you can get pretty darn close to the velocity of 9x23

JeffinNZ
02-02-2013, 04:59 AM
Bill said it. Ya can't argue with 100 years of success.

The .50 BMG is not far off that mark either and still going strong.

WHITETAIL
02-02-2013, 08:37 AM
+1 with all that was said.
It just doesn't get old, just better!:holysheep

captaint
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I go shooting sometimes with a guy from work. He's relatively new to the game and had a Block in 9mm - a 4th gen gun. It was constantly breaking. I had let him shoot my PM9 once. He really liked it. Last time out I asked him (he recently traded the Block and got a Beretta 92) if he wanted to shoot my other 1911 and he says "NO, I'll get spoiled, and I can't afford one right now". Just something about the 1911's. Mike

fcvan
02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
My very first pistol was a S&W M459 in 9mm. I was actually looking for a .357 for my first firearm purchase but my brother went on and on about the 459 so I bought one. A couple years later, I bought a parkerized plain Jane Springfield Armory 1911 45 ACP. That 459 collected dust afterwards and I ended up selling it to a buddy. I know, never sell a firearm but he bought one just like mine. Anyway, his was stolen which left him without a duty weapon so I sold him mine. I didn't miss the 459 because after shooting the 1911 I dropped the 459 like a bad habit.

The 1911 just shoots extremely well and it's cyclic action feels so different than many of my other pistols. It is one of the few pistols I have that can shoot soda cans at 100 yards and could keep up with my revolvers. It has been one of the easiest cartridges to load for and digests every boolit I've tried. I haven't wanted to try different calibers as .45 has worked so well but I was enamored by the 45 Super project when Dean Grennel first wrote about his experiments 25 years ago. I need to dig out those old issues and re-read. Good stuff, great pistol.

DrCaveman
02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Yep. I'm on the opposite side of regret, though. Think if I had bought a 1911 10 years ago, I would have saved thousands on other guns because I only want to shoot the 1911. Who am I kidding, I just would have bought more 1911's in different calibers.

Still love my 12 gauges, 30-30, 30-06, and 357. But the 1911 is staying at the top of my 'favorites' list far longer than any other gun purchase. We'll see how long that lasts. My guess is that it will take a new, nicer 1911 to trump the one I have.

David2011
02-03-2013, 04:03 AM
JD,

You are so right. The 1911 is ergonomically just about as close to perfect as any 'one size fits all' object can be. I had to put competition shooting aside for a relocation and hadn't shot a USPSA/IPSC match for about 2 years until yesterday. I shoot an STI 2011 Edge, a 1911 hi cap variant (my avatar) in competition. There are also some single stack 1911s in the safe and I like them as well. Friday night I was aprehensive aout my re-entry into match shooting. I had fired the gun at the range a few times but hadn't drawn and reloaded against the clock in all that time. By the second stage it was like no time had passed. Under the rush of shooting and moving through a stage recoil is barely noticed. The trigger is perfect. The sights settle back where they were after every shot. The gun is rock solid and an extension of the mind. My scores weren't what I had hoped for on some stages (are they ever?) but exceeded my expectations on others so overall it was a very good day. I have had a "high" going on since the end of the match from the rush of running and gunning. I LOVE shooting the 1911/2011. Could John Browning have practiced Zen on the side? How else did his designs become so perfect? (I'm well versed on his primary religion.)

David

bobthenailer
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Agree completely with the above statements! But for some reason I am shooting low with the officers model. Have to figure that out. But they do feel as though they belong in my hand!

sometimes a heaver bullet will raise POI or you can lower the front sight blade with a file & reblue or install a shorter FS blade.

jdgabbard
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Nice score. I picked up my RIA Satin Nickel 38 Super new for 299 earlier this year. why the conversion to 9x23? With super comp or TJ brass you can get pretty darn close to the velocity of 9x23

To my understanding there is quite a bit in difference between the 38super and the 9x23mm... 9x23mm to my understanding has a factory load that sends a 130gr bullet traveling at about 1500-1600fps.... And from what I understand, it is a modest load.

khmer6
02-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I might have to experiment with 9x23. Modern books dont show much velocity over 38 super. But older loading manuals definitely show the 1400+ in 125gr you speak of. But they also say to use small rifle primer because of pressures. Im ok on that fron, I use small rifle primers in all my small primer loads now. Let us know once you converted. I might have to do a conversion myself. Or do a 9x25 on my 10mm, but the price of the dies is killing me on that one.

Treetop
02-03-2013, 10:38 PM
“Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal making or the fact that the factory is in some well connected congressman’s district. Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 is an outdated design… and that’s exactly what I love about it.”
Rosco S. Benson

khmer6
02-03-2013, 11:33 PM
the 1911 is something that grows on you. i myself never liked it for whatever reason. it started growing on me when i saw a nickel plated one with extended safety and bevertail and all that (i have out grown all of that and prefer a plain jane GI with GI sights) and then when i shot my first 1911, instant love. shot as true as my 10mm glock and FN FiveseveN. now only if i could save up for the delta elite 10mm.....

Moonie
02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
the 1911 is something that grows on you. i myself never liked it for whatever reason. it started growing on me when i saw a nickel plated one with extended safety and bevertail and all that (i have out grown all of that and prefer a plain jane GI with GI sights) and then when i shot my first 1911, instant love. shot as true as my 10mm glock and FN FiveseveN. now only if i could save up for the delta elite 10mm.....

RIA is now making a 1911 in 10mm, just saying...

oops, just noticed, I'm a pusher now :-D

khmer6
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah I saw it when it first came out as cheaper than dirt first released it exclusively. 600 for a 10mm 1911 really caught my eye. It is a bull barrel with a bushingless design. Still contemplating on the ria. It was pretty feature packed too.

khmer6
02-12-2013, 12:35 AM
I heard that some 38 supers can chamber and fire 9x23. Do you think its safe to do since the case walls are so thick

RG1911
02-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I had promised my youngest step-son that I'd buy him a firearm when he got his Associates degree in criminal justice and was getting ready for the police academy. He decided he just had to have a Springfield XM (I think that's it). Then I made the mistake of letting him shoot one of my 1911s. Now he wants one.

I've never sold one of mine. I did give my first match 1911 to my middle step-son. That leaves me with only [mumble mumble] 1911s. I bought one to give to a friend for his birthday. It's going to be tough parting with it.

;-)

Richard